How many were raised as a JW during their teenage years?

by codeblue 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Me too. Its hard to supress the regrets for going through just about everything that undercover just talked about and just move on with the rest of my life and be thankful that I am not still subjecting myself to that life.

I have to say though that living as a witness teen will effect me for the rest of my life. Not that I am some horrible creature because of it, but I definitely have 'problems' that I have to deal with because of it.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I think being a witness as a teenager was really a safeguard for me. Of course there were terrible problems at home, but being a "weirdo" as a teen really kept me from exploring other avenues. I didnt party like teh rest of teh kids, didnt do drugs (for teh most part anyway), didnt get involved with those creepy evil worldly boys. Eventually, as I grew in to an adult I learned better. Of course I had to work on my social skills. But I am grateful for my 'sheltered' teens.

• New Castles
    New Castles

I was and there was definitely alot I missed out on...I wish I could go back to high school and relive it again, knowing what I know now.

• onacruse
    onacruse

shotgun:

it bothers me but I'm getting over it...slowly.

Yes, indeed, and sometimes ever ever so slowly.

Getting out of the WTS-cult is, in many ways, worse than the rack.

Hugs to y'all north! ...and hope to see ya soon again.

Craig

• TRUTH SEEKER
    TRUTH SEEKER

I was also raised a JW, and as a good little girl. I stayed away from all of those worldly things that I was supposed to UNTIL I met a worldly boy that I couldn't stay away from! And my God, he was worth it!

My mother went crazy and my father went crazy and I da'd myself the very next year. My mom says witness kids are like tightly wrapped springs, and when they get into the world they go crazy bouncing from one thing to another. It seems to me though, after reading some of your posts that I didn't go nearly as crazy as I should have!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I escaped from home early enough to get some good teenage years in. Just took off without telling them where I was going.

It was wonderful and all those stories about the big bad world, that Jehovah's Terrorist had told me, were all lies.

• Maca
    Maca

I was a 3rd generation JW. I missed out on soooo much. I wasn't accepted by the world and worst yet not really accepted by the JW's. My dad wasn't a JW and that could have been part of it.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I lost my teenage years due to being raised a Joe Bit. Tried to do the double lifer thing but the cool kids in school saw right through that. So after leaving home till today, Im 35, I still wear the latest clothes, sneakers, pump the stereo in my cars loud to make up for all those lost years.

It was bad for me in high school.

In my High School the Sports kids beat up the nerds, the nerds beat up the small kids, the small kids beat up the smart chinese kids and then I knocked on the smart chinese kids doors on weekends selling them Watchtowers and then they beat me up!

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

But Chevys, not every "worldly" kid gets involved in things like that. But I understand what you mean, I have to say, if there was any trouble I could have gotten into I certainly was safeguarded against it. That being said, I knew a bunch of witness kids in "good standing" who did all kinds of strange stuff. But for me the protection that I received certianly came at a price.

One of the reasons so much human thought is devoted to the teenage years through literature, movies and art is because its at that time that who we really become as adults are born. What happens to us in our teen years effect us for the rest of our lives and help define who we are. I definitely agree that like a banzai tree, some of my 'coming of age' was stifled and I don't necessarily put 'sex and drugs' into this category, but maybe the ability to learn about the world around me under the security blanket of innocence and youth.

To this day, there is much about social interaction that I just don't grasp. I feel inexperienced in these matters. I never felt what it was like to be part of a team and compete with my peers. I was never pushed to push myself, to push the boundaries of myself, my mind and my body. Everything of this world was an excercise in futility according to the world view I was given from childhood.

• flower
    flower

Ahh yes the suicide teenage years, I remember them well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit