Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian

by yxl1 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Funny ... but surely one was missed:

11. You wholeheartedly and dogmatically support and defend George Bush no matter what he does.

(just keeping the fires burning )

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Simon:
    Stirring it again, are ya? You ole royster doyster, you!!!
    LOL

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Thanks for the correction ozzie (and LT, you were just a little slower on the draw); interesting.

It still says knowledge though, doesn't it (says Abaddon of the incorrigable class)?

I can have relationships with people at work I don't know well. They're not very meaningful or deep relationships.

I have knowledge of those people I am in deep and lasting realtionships with (friends, lovers, family).

So, to have the (presumably) ultimate relationship, you need scriptually speaking, knowledge, and logically it would seem it needs to be more knowledge than I have of Bert, the bloke in accounts with curly hair whom I discuss The Beatles with when I happen to sit next to him in the canteen. My whole experienec of life is the depth of relationship is equivalent to the depth of knowledge.

What say you?

That a relationship with Jesus is just 'different'?

Or that you can start out with a largely uninformed desire for a relationship and build the knowledge and the depth of relationship over time?

Probably both

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

LT,

Well it's supposed to be autumn but there's no sign of it yet, except that Daylight Saving is over for another season!

No leaves are falling yet, in fact up in Sydney the trees are still green.

The weather is beautiful, not too hot, just the high 20s.

Perfect!

But that's Australia!!!

Cheers to you in the north country,

Ozzie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Abaddon,

Oh all right, we'll come back 'on topic'!!

Now, where were we? Oh yes, John 17!!

Later in that same chapter (which is a prayer of Jesus) he speaks of himself as doing this:

"I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world." - John 17:6 (NIV)

We glean from this that it's Jesus who does the calling, not we who do the studying. It's not like sitting for a uni exam.

Ozzie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I've got a question. What's a "fundamentalist" christian? Just wondering.

• Joe Bloggs
    Joe Bloggs

Hi, Ozzie. I assume that was a rhetorical question, but a fundamentalist christian, I believe, is one who takes the bible and/or its beliefs thereof, literally.

Joe

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ozzie:Do you mean in it's Christian or modern sense?

I'd say that it's supposed to mean someone who believes in the fundamentals of the bible. However the modern usage seems to label someone who is closed-mindedly determined to impose their "interpretation" on everyone else, breathing hellfire and damnation to those who disagree.

Cheers to you, to

Abaddon:
    Knowing someone doesn't preclude getting to know them better, day by day...

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

12: You villify the Catholic church as being anti-Biblical yet you don't know that the Catholic church were the ones that constructed the Bible.

13: You think nothing's wrong with incest and genocide as long as "God" apporved of it.

14: You believe a former high school science teacher's narrow minded veiw on life's origins (Kent Hovind) over a geneticists'.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Thanks, LT!

So, on that basis, if that's the yardstick we're using in this thread:

I'd say that it's supposed to mean someone who believes in the fundamentals of the bible.

I'll go along with that one. As a "loyal" dub I believed that and now as a christian nothing's changed in that regard.

However the modern usage seems to label someone who is closed-mindedly determined to impose their "interpretation" on everyone else, breathing hellfire and damnation to those who disagree.

This is what worries me. It seems to me that there's a "version" of christianity emanating from the USA to which I'd have to say I definitely ain't one of those!! I cringe when I hear of their shinnanigans (is that how you speel it??).

BTW Joe, I think there's more to it than what you're saying.

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit