Can someone be "saved" just by reading the Bible?

by somebodylovesme 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Awhile back, I read one of those pages with questions to ask JWs. One question was something to the effect of: "Can someone be saved by just reading the Bible?" -- and the page said the Bible says that this is true, but (obviously) Witnesses teach the obvious. However, I can't remember what this page was or what Bible verse they cited as supporting Bible-only salvation. I'd like to know the verse and specifics on this ... I think it could be a good one to bring up if things ever get heated with the dubs I know. ;)

Thanks in advance!

SLM

• azaria
    azaria

Hi Somebody: I don't believe that one can be saved just by reading the bible. There are a lot of passages that attest to that. I'm sure there have been many people that have read the bible as a strictly literary piece of work? Below are just two that I found.

Eph 2:8 For by grace you are saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast.

Romans 10:8-13 The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart, that is the word of faith we are proclaiming: That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the scripture says, Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame. For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile-the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Azaria -

I don't think I worded my question very well. What I meant was, if you BELIEVE in the Bible, believe in the God of the Bible, believe Jesus died for your sins, etc -- read and wholly believe the Bible -- but NOT go to Church... then can you be saved.

I'm not religious at all, but I remember someone had written an argument AGAINST Witnesses' works-based salvations, and I wanted to pinpoint their support. Thanks!

SLM

• shotgun
    shotgun

Saved from what? Death,hell, Satan, physical ailments....no

Could reading it enlighten you in some way....sure

• azaria
    azaria

Hi SLM: You'd think I was on this forum all day, but I've just been popping in every once in a while.

I believe that Ephesians 2:8 may in part answer your question about works. I believe that we are saved by grace because we believe and do good works because we are saved, we are not saved by doing good works. It's a gift, we can't earn it.

if you BELIEVE in the Bible, believe in the God of the Bible, believe Jesus died for your sins, etc -- read and wholly believe the Bible -- but NOT go to Church... then can you be saved.

Personally I believe that someone can be saved even though he doesn't go to church but I do believe that God wants us to be with other Christians. I also believe that we have to repent of our sins. I was once at a bible study with a particular church and the pastor made me feel that if I didn't know the right sequence of salvation that there was a problem. I quit going soon after. Hopefully I answered your question.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Please define "saved". Saved from something? for something?

carmel

• Justin
    Justin

Possibly you are thinking of Acts 16:31, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." I think, though, that someone who would use this passage should explain what they think it means. Is belief a mere mental acknowledgement of Jesus Christ, or what does it involve?

• shamus
    shamus

I agree with Shotgun. What do you want to "save" yourself from? That is not how I understand the god of the bible. Why would someone want to be saved? I don't get the question at all.

Helping people in society is what Jesus in the bible did.

• crinklesteinsgirl
    crinklesteinsgirl

I am new here and I joined just so that I could reply to this thread. I am sure there will be many more that I reply to, but this one caught my attention

The answer is simple really about what you will be "saved" from. It is all in black and white in the Book of Revelation. Take some time, sit down and read it. It's thrilling!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

In answer to your question, detractors aside:

"Yes" - that's how it happened for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit