Doctrine or Scripture?

by kibizzle 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kibizzle
    kibizzle

My H and I are generally good at avoiding the subject, but the other day we got into a "debate" about the "truth". Anyway, he gave a few reasons why he believes the JWs have the "truth" such as the scripture that says "It is better to not have known the truth at all than have known the truth and walked away".

Okay, at the time I was too upset to think rationally and say, "Okay, which scripture would that be?" I don't want to bring it up and argue again, but to me this sounds more like a JW philosophy than an actual scripture. If it is one, does anyone know it? I am having alot of trouble finding it. Kib

• City Fan
    City Fan

kibizzle,

I've heard of the saying 'better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all', but I can't say I've heard of that scripture. I'm sure the JW version would have to be "It is better to not have known the present truth at all than have known the present truth and walked away".

• azaria
    azaria

Hi kibizzle, I found the scripture that you were looking for. 2 Peter 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

What I don't understand is why he would think that the JW's are right because of this passage?

• tabarugzo
    tabarugzo

Hebrews 6:4-8 For it is impossible as regards those who have once all been enlightened, and who have tasted the heavenly free gift, and who have become partakers of holy spirit, and who have tasted the fine word of God and powers of the coming system of things, but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance, because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves and expose him to public shame. For example, the ground that drinks in the rain which often comes upon it, and that then brings forth vegetation suitable to those for whom it is also cultivated, receives in return a blessing from God. But if it produces thorns an thistles, it is rejected and is near to being cursed; and it ends up with being burned.

Your negativety only gives me strength and more faith. This is a perfect example as to what your husband was trying to say. People who turn away from God's word are worse off then people who never knew it. Apostasy is one of the worst things that you can do. It is so easier to turn away from God's word than it is to follow it. I tell you that apostasy is just the blind leading the blind, because tell me what positive things do they teach. They are leading people into destruction and if you are one of them I think you should look carefully at what they are teaching you.

• azaria
    azaria

NIV Hebrews 6:4-8 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

tabarugzo: I fail to see why your witness faith would be strengthened because of this passage. This is the word of God not the word of the Watchtower. Because of my mother, (who is a witness) I grudgingly looked into this organization because I thought that maybe it was the truth and for my own sake I needed to look into it. The opposite happened for me. I'm stronger than ever knowing the real truth and not the truth of the Watchtower. For that I am thankful to her (thought she doesn't realize it) I personally don't see the negativity, but a person who is questioning and God approves of questioning. That is how our faith is strengthened. I think your attack is very unfair. The same thing could be said of you about leading people astray with untruths of God's word. Just to let you know, I'm not saying this in a spiteful way.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Taba..welcome to this forum of apostates as that seems to be what you consider us to be

I did not see anything negative in kibizzles post, is asking a question about a scripture being negative or is seeing all questions as a threat being negative?

Did Jesus chastise the apostles for their questions or did he tell them to search for truth?

Do you consider someone you contact at the door negative or an apostate for questioning their religion?

How can you make sure of all things as Paul asked unless you ask questions and research all things?

Will you answer the questions or at least think about them.

Shotgun...of the free from the traditions of men class

• gumby
    gumby

2 Peter 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it,
    to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

What commandment was that? Anyone know?

This is the scripture your looking for. The problem is....the witnesses apply it to those who doubt the WTBTS.....not gods word. The scripture above I believe refers to those who would reject grace through faith in christ.......not reject Jehovahs Witnesses.

As for you tab......yer bout to get an arse whipin I'm fraid.

Gumby

• kibizzle
    kibizzle

Thank you for the scriptures everyone, reading your posts encourages me to get away from the un-christlike ways, judgemental attitudes and lack of love that the WTS fosters! Especially you, tab, BTW, why not share your thoughts on the UN involvement? Kib

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

It is futile to apply either of those verses to questioning the doctrines of Jehovah's Witnesses. First off, the Truth does not equal Watchtower doctrines.

Second, that verse in Hebrews applies to those who have the heavenly calling, which Witnesses have been taught does not apply to 99% of them.

There's a lot of unbiblical stuff being taught by this religion. Only a fool (in the Biblical sense) would not question it.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

alt

Silly troll.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit