Is It the Size that matters or the Quality?

by DevonMcBride 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Anyone who says size doesn't matter is is clearly having adequacy issues.

In my oppinion... size does matter!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    A quick count of percentages and a few calculations later shows that 99% of apostates are perverts.

I second the motion.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I am so glad I wasn't the only one to have 'certain' thoughts about size....

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Which came first the chicken or the egg? I am of the opinion that the WTBTS is hoping that size matters and that all the growth in these other countries will help motivate the other brothers and sisters. "See we have the truth -we are getting Gods blessing -" and so they hope that this will motivate the rest in the Western World -- just my 2 cents worth

BTW I may start a seperate thread on does sixe matter -- but I have this feeling that it would be a thread that would get locked or deleted pretty quickly -- I am just dying to know from Sassy if size matters in her opinion?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

To answer the original question, let me ask my own question: Is there any record in the new testament of christians being commanded to become great in size or number? Yeah, I know about the "great crowd" but that isn't a command, is it? Simply a description of something that would happen.

So, were christians to work hard at getting more members for the sake of numbers? Were they?

Ozzie

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Is there any record in the new testament of christians being commanded to become great in size or number? Yeah, I know about the "great crowd" but that isn't a command, is it? Simply a description of something that would happen. So, were christians to work hard at getting more members for the sake of numbers? Were they? Ozzie

Let me play Devils Advocate -- first I agree with you Ozzie -- but the WTBTS will quote from Acts where it says 3000 were added this day and 5 thousand were added that day etc. I hate the numbers game - it distorts evrything and IMHO devalues it as Ray said in CoC - I also believe that the WTBTS will carry on quoting numbers in the hope that it will motivate the rest -- whether it is scriptural or not -- hell since when has being scriptural had anything to with what the WTBTS publishes.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

With thanks to Corvin -- cut and pasted from his post

w98 3/15 pp. 18-23 Living Up to Christian Dedication in Freedom ***

Is it not true, however, that individual Witnesses are expected to report their preaching activity? Yes, but the purpose of this is clearly explained in a Witness handbook, which says: "Early followers of Jesus Christ took interest in reports of progress in the preaching work. (Mark 6:30) As the work prospered, statistical reports were compiled along with accounts of outstanding experiences of those having a share in preaching the good news. . . . (Acts 2:5-11, 41, 47; 6:7; 1:15; 4:4) . . . How encouraging it was for those faithful Christian workers to hear reports of what was being accomplished! . . . In like manner, Jehovah?s modern-day organization endeavors to keep precise records of the work being done in fulfillment of Matthew 24:14."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit