Questions for the JW Experts on WTS Structure

by Kathy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• bj
    bj

Kathy you asked:

I understand that "annointed ones" are no longer appointed to the Governing Body, because most are no longer alive. So now, what criteria are used to appoint members to the Governing Body?

Well, among the change of last October 2000, now to be part of the Board of Directors of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, you don't need to be a member of the Governing body or self proclaimed "annointed". In the past, (with the exception of Hayden C. Covington) to be part of the 7 members of that Board you had to be an "annointed one" and was always occupied by GB members. (see YEARBOOK 1946 pp. 221-224)

• Copernicus
    Copernicus

Typical clergy – laity distinctions are not made in the WTS. In fact, there are no distinctions of any kind. All are just Jesus’ humble, loyal followers. There is no chain of command either. When you have a problem, you can go right to the top – Jehovah himself. You are free to bypass Jesus (who supposedly “runs” the organization), at any time.

If this sounds like confusing BS, that’s because it is confusing BS.

Religion IS a snare and a racket - there are no exceptions.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest Kathy... may you have peace!

Actually, there IS a lot of 'God' and 'Jehovah' mentioned in the WT conglomerate. The One you won't hear so much of is my Lord, the SON of God, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH (known to you as "Jesus Christ" or "Yeshua Messiah"). Although he IS mentioned, the 'faithful and discreet slave' is mentioned WAY more... go figure.

I am of no 'religion'. That is not a word even found in the Bible, nor mentioned by my Lord or any prophet, servant, disciple or apostle. I do not attent any 'church', for after having 'quit touching the unclean thing' (the WTBTS), and being 'set free' by my Lord (and therefore, 'cleansed' by an anointing with holy spirit), I came to know that I... AM the 'church' (I, and others LIKE me), a member of the BODY of Christ... which IS the 'church', the 'congregation of the Firstborn'... and therefore, a living 'stone'... in the temple of God.

Along with the foundation cornerstone (my Lord), the foundation (the 12 apostles) and other 'pillars' and 'stones', I am being 'built up' into a 'place'... or TEMPLE... for God... to 'inhabit by spirit'. Individually, my 'temple' is already inhabited by the spirit of God, in that He and His Son, my Lord, have already came and made their 'abode' with me... and thus, 'dwell'... IN me.

John 14:23
    Romans 8:9
    Ephesians 2:20-22
    1 Corinthians 3:16
    1 Peter 2:5
    Revelation 3:12

As such, as a 'seed the woman' (God's wife), and as a seed of Abraham, I have been 'repurchaed' by the blood of my Lord... and now 'belong' to HIM... and no other. By means of the receipt of the 'bath that cleanses', the 'blood' of Christ... the PROMISED HOLY SPIRIT that was 'poured out' upon me... I have been 'washed clean'. Thus, once again, I am a 'virgin' in the spiritual sense, and cannot once again 'defile' myself with 'women'... RELIGION (the 'daughters of Babylon)... nor can I 'return to the vomit' or to 'rolling in the mire'. I cannot once again 'yoke [myself] with unbelievers', nor can I once again become a slave 'of men'. I have been washed... cleansed... and set free... and I intend to stay that way, to the glory of my Father, JAH OF ARMIES, and my Lord, His Son, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH.

2 Corinthians 6:14-18
    Titus 3:5

How can I do that? By obeying the 'voice' of the True Light, my Lord, and following HIM... wherever HE goes. I cannot 'listen to the voice of strangers', and I hear the voice of my Lord, by means of that same holy spirit. It is a free 'gift' that I received as a benefit of that spirit.

John 1:9
    John 8:12
    John 10:4, 5, 27
    Revelation 14:4, 5
    1 Corinthians 12:10

It is truly DIFFERENT from what I have known before about worshipping God. I knew the CONCEPT of worshipping God... 'in SPIRIT and in TRUTH'... but I didn't know the REALITY of it. I do now, and I would not trade it for anything. Yes, it is WAY more difficult to do: previously, I had 'earthling' men to tell what to say and do to be acceptable to God in my worship. I didn't have to BE good or DO good in and of myself, but as others would tell me what WAS good to do... and not do.

And I had the Law 'written on stone tablets'. But since having received the promised holy spirit, I now have the Law... 'written on my heart'... and it is from there, above the Ark of [My] Covenant with God... my HEART... that I hear and speak to my Lord.

Many disbelieve it... and even decry it. Ah, well. I cannot convince anyone else of anything for 'no man can come to [the Son] unless the Father draws them,' anyway... and it is the SON... who chooses.

John 6:44
    John 15:16

Why did my Lord 'choose' me... and my Father 'draw' me? No special reason, really. I had a 'seed' of faith (which he gave me), but in TRUTH, I have learned that I was chosen... because, in truth, I am a 'foolish' and 'weak' thing. And my Father CHOOSES... the 'foolish things' of the world. Of these, I am FOREMOST, first simply by reason of being a woman (a 'weaker' vessel and by the thinking of many men, 'foolish'). But I am also 'foolish' and 'weak' by means of being one of the foremost sinners, as well. Regarding my being a 'foolish' thing, many of the folks here will attest to that; as for being 'weak' and a foremost sinner, you'll just have to take my word for it.

1 Corinthians 1:27

But I am not 'exclusive', Kathy. Indeed, there are MANY 'foolish things' in this world. It's just that not all of us 'foolish' ones wish to ACKNOWLEDGE it... and thereby BECOME 'discreet'... in our OWN eyes, rather than becoming so in HIS eyes. By acknowledging my 'foolishness', and admitting my blindness, miserableness, poverty and pitiableness, however, I was granted 'eyesalve'... holy spirit... and MADE to be 'discreet'... not in my OWN eyes... but in my Lord's. And thus, the things I know... and speak... I CANNOT take credit for, but MUST give the 'glory' to them. For I know nothing other than what I am 'given'. I am indeed 'poor'... and 'blind', etc.

Revelation 3:17, 18
    Romans 12:16
    Matthew 25:1-12

Anyway, that is me... in a nutshell (okay, guys, hold all your 'nut' jokes. I SAID I was 'foolish' to you... can that be enough for now?)

I have been commissioned to speak to the 'sons of Israel'... and those that 'go with' them... and invite them to RETURN to my Lord and my Father, and accept their invitation to partake of the FREE gift... of holy spirit. Thus, I say to you, as I say to all others who 'wish' it, who are 'thirsting' and who 'hear'...

"COME! Take 'life's water'... free!"

John 7:37, 38
    Revelation 22:17

Again, I wish you peace...

and I am your servant, as well as a servant to the Household of God, Israel, and a slave of Christ,

SJ

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Kathy:

I understand that "annointed ones" are no longer appointed to the Governing Body, because most are no longer alive. So now, what criteria are used to appoint members to the Governing Body?

The Governing Body was an outgrowth of the old Board of Directors of the Corporations from Russell's and Rutherford's time. There was no special criteria, and at times some non-anointed were on the board of directors. But, most were filled by Anointed because that is mostly what was available.

The modern Governing Body was really a fiction until it was formalized in the mid-1970s. At that time only experienced Anointed men were used who had long years of service with the WTS, principly at the world headquarters.

The more recent developments has once again made further separation between the corportaion officers and the Governing Body, such that non-Anointed men now hold these 'official' corporate offices, such as President, etc. But, the Governing Body are still made up of ALL Anointed men who are very experienced with the organization. They are apparantly hand-picked by some on the Governing and recommended to be included on that body.

This will continue to be the case until there are no more Anointed men available in the organization, or at least none who have long experience in high level positions. But, each year there are some few who decide they are of that class, and will likely keep the ranks of the Anointed from depleting too fast.

What is the "chain of command" in the society from the Governing Body to the average JW living next door? I know that elders are in there somewhere, and a "circuit overseer" and a "district overseer." But what's the order?

Here is what I recall as the chain of command as published by the Society, and as I have observed practiced:

Jehovah (in theory)
    Jesus Christ (in theory)
    Co-Rulers - Anointed already in Heaven (in theory)
    Faithful & Discreet Slave(remaing Anointed on Earth - in theory)

Governing Body (Absolute monarchs in practice)
    Branch Committee (not as visible in the USA)
    Zone Overseers (I have never understood this poition, but I believe it is now part of the Branch)
    District Overseers (Boss over Circuits - like Cardinals)
    Circuit Overseers (Boss over a group of congregations - Bishop)
    City Overseer (Kind of an interim boss in big cities)
    Presiding Overseer (Boss over the congregation - Pastor)
    Service Committee (PO, FSO, Sec) Boss over congregation operations - Pastorate)
    Elders (Little wannabe bosses, sometimes over Book Study Groups)
    Ministerial Servants (assist Elders with humdrum activities)
    Married Male JWs (boss over family - especially wife)
    JW Women (boss over children when Dad is not around)
    Children (no position)

Hope that helps. - Amazing

• Kathy
    Kathy

Thanks for the replies. I'm still confused about exactly how someone becomes "anointed." Who anointed them, how did they know they were anointed, etc. Thanks.

• Maximus
    Maximus

::District Overseer (Boss over Circuits - like Cardinals)

Mmmmm. Try Archbishop. You've been away too long, old friend--from mother Church, that is. :D

::Zone Overseers (I have never understood this poition, but I believe it is now part of the Branch)

The zone is comprised of several branches, generally geographically, and is thus under Executive--what used to be the old Office of the President. Recently Dave Sinclair of that office made a "zone trip" of seven weeks' duration, to inspect branches, facilities in--escapes me, Polynesia? South Seas? and report back. In past years a branch overseer might also serve other branches, in zone oversight.

Side note on "the Society."

I'm waiting for someone else to publish information on the new U.S. Branch operations that went into effect April 1, which left the old Service defunct--the result of the changes last October. I did see a post that had a URL scanning a letter from the Christian Congregation, with cutesie handwritten-type signature, modernizing the old Watchtower Society of New York (which was in NHKnorr's personal handwriting). (See below) The Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society of Pennsylvania rubber stamp was in the handwriting of Grant Suiter. The president of that Society is now Don Adams.

Musing: will future JWs refer to the Christian Congregation as we use the term "the Society"? That's a term that is decaying, for obvious reasons, although it's great shorthand for what we signify.

For most persons, "the Society" de facto is the Writing Correspondence Department, made up of some 10 brothers and 7 sisters. Cares for about 800 letters and 250 calls a month. You write in, they'll give you a database answer, whether Scriptural issue, Personal problem, Whatever.

For those who want to see the new "Society" at work, and the new kinder, friendlier and cutsie rubber stamp:

http://wis.i8.com/watchout.htm

Maximus

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Maximus: Thanks for the info on Zone Overseers. For some odd reason, I tought that Zones were large groups of Districts, but still under the Branch, but I was not sure. You clarified this that the Zones are over the Branches to some degree.

As for DO = Archbishop, I can see that, and maybe Branch or Zone men are closer to Cardinals. But, the illustration was not too far off anyway.

Your point about the letter from the Cristian Congregation of JWs is good. I saw that letter as well, and right away I realized that this arrangement is at least in part an attempt to separate the corporate operations from the religious operations with respect to the local congregations, Elders, etc. I wonder if that was done to try an effect some level of limited liability. But, I don't this will work for them. The connection between the Governing Body and the rest of the organizaiton is too close and controlled.

Thanks again for the clarifications. - Amazing

• Maximus
    Maximus

Right on the money. And the illustration was great, I wasn't correcting you as much as attempting to clarify; some things don't fit. Most important, one of their biggest problems is to come off as less hierarchical, because legally/ethically responsibility rests with the top in a hierarchical system. Don't have to draw you a road map ...

Unfortunately DOs don't get selected as cardinals to advise the GB or pope. I recall a meeting of COs and DOs with NHKnorr when the Branch manual was being overhauled and KMSchool revamped. Lots of agreement, many good suggestions, except for one guy who was completely out of sync. Complained about the brothers having too much time on their hands for vacation: 'they're buying BOATS.' He's on the GB today--Ted Jaracz! Go figure.

Eventually someone will develop a thread about the new corporate operations. That will be fun. I'll chime in then.

M

• Kathy
    Kathy

Maximus and Amazing, please tell me who appointed and continues to appoint the "anointed." Thanks.

• Maximus
    Maximus

Kathy, I'm going to give you part of the answer, then hope that Amazing will come back to this thread and give you some information that he personally is in a unique position to share.

The English word "anoint" comes from an- oint, as in ointment or oil. Oil was ceremonially poured over the head of kings and priests as a symbol of who they were. David said in Psalm 23, 'With oil you have anointed my head.' The priests were anointed with oil; one of the psalms talks about oil so abundant it 'runs down the beard, Aaron's beard.'

That "class" of persons the Society refers to as the 144,000 are considered "a kingdom of priests," anointed by God, with holy spirit. So the teaching is that God anoints these individuals. No one appoints them.

As to how one knows or feels s/he is of the "anointed"--I'm asking Amazing to comment.

Maximus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit