What JWs think when they visit "apostates"

by Sirona 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sirona
    Sirona

A friend of mine was recently disfellowshipped (lets call him John, false name but serves the purpose of this). He was a ministerial servant within the cong (heading for Elder). Anyway, he got back in touch after the "fall".

He shed some light on his reasons for leaving.

Basically, he had visited my partner (call him Dave) about 2 years back. John had visited him with an elder to "encourage" him and bring him back into the "truth". Dave, well versed in all this via me, was ready for their visit.

Just today, John told Dave that a big factor in his doubting the "society" was that visit. He didn't recall all the words said but he did remember that Dave had greeted them at his house with a big smile. He remembered being jealous of Dave because he had a beach buggy in his lounge (he is an adrenaline junkie) and seemed just so happy and carefree. The elder was uptight and critisised Dave after they left, but John could only remember that during the visit Dave had seemed so happy and carefree now he wasn't a JW. He remembered how Dave highlighted that he didn't fear Jehovah and Armageddon, and that he didn't think God was so evil as to destroy us all.

John said he had doubts for years, but being married in the "truth" he felt he had to stay loyal. He said that during that elder's visit he had listened to what Dave told him but found he had to live up to the JW rules, he just wasn't quite ready to walk away.

This whole thing has opened my eyes. When elders visit you, don't think that your words mean nothing. If they're ready, they'll hear what you have to say. Proving you're now happy and living a good life must speak volumes aswell.

Keep telling those JWs what you know. Don't give up. Even though they're in denial, somewhere inside they know you are right.

When I was JW, I remember meeting an "apostate" on the ministry, and I was amazed at how much he knew. He seemed fanatical at the time, but honestly I think that his knowledge made some impression upon me and I now know the sort of effect we must have on their brainwashed mind.

Now John is free and he says it helped to see Dave making good of his life outside of JWs.

Sirona

• gumby
    gumby

Sirona.....good points!

Everyone on this board came here because of something they saw, heard, or felt. Little things that were said to me by people who weren't even informed about witnesses, had an impact on me.

As you said.......when they are "ready", they will take action.

Gumby

• Sassy
    Sassy

Wow.. excellent example..

Kind of reminds me of all those talks we recieved on how we don't know what kinds of seeds we plant in the ministry....

ONLY IN REVERSE

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

That is SO encouraging.
    Thank you for sharing it!

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Awesome story Sirona. And a good idea to emphasize, that even though we think our words and expressions are falling on deaf ears, the stoic JW must never appear to waver in front of you.

I doubt an elder has ever stood up during a home visit to a "weak" ones or at a Judicial Committee meeting and excalimed " Oh my God, what you are speaking is the truth, and I am hereby renoucing my faith in JWism"

Rather it is the "seeds of truth" that we speak and our outward appearance that may ring alarm bells in their minds.

Curious as to what his "fall" was. 2 catagories... apostacy or other would suffice.

I am happy for "dave" and "john" Perhaps "john" may join us here.

P.S. Did you have the chance to tell him you are a witch?

• willyloman
    willyloman
    When elders visit you, don't think that your words mean nothing. If they're ready, they'll hear what you have to say. Keep telling those JWs what you know. Don't give up. Even though they're in denial, somewhere inside they know you are right.

It's true. It happened to me two years ago or so, when we visited a sister who had left her whack job JW husband. He was physically and emotionally abusive. None of this could be proved, so it was his word against hers and she was the one with a live-in boyfriend. We nailed her, of course, after she said she had no intention of having her new man pack his clothes. "Do what you gotta do," she said. "You guys have NO IDEA what I have been through. I'm happy for the first time in years."

And, by god, she looked happy! So we DF'd her by phone (she wouldn't come to a meeting with us). While the circumstantial evidence was that she was an "unrepentant wrongdoer" (oh, how judgmental and pretentious that sounds to my ears now), some part of me knew he was the a**hole in the relationship. Alas, the wheels were in motion and could not be stopped.

Just one of many past actions I am ashamed of. But it did get me thinking and was one of the final flashes of light that turned me into a conscientious objector, no longer willing to serve the WT and dispense their sick brand of justice.

• wednesday
    wednesday

actions really do speak louder than words. very nice post. I reallly enjoyed it. thanks for sharing.

Sometimes i our ministry we can get discourged and need an upbuilding experience()

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

((((( willyloman )))))) It's OK . Thank you for sharing that.

• avishai
    avishai

*High fives Sirona*

• shotgun
    shotgun

Great story Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit