How many rules are there??

by beaker 18 Replies latest jw friends

• beaker
    beaker

The ancient Isrealites had about 600 rules in the mosaic law which they had to keep.

I reckon that JW's are expected to keep more rules than that.

What's your favourite??

To start off how about.....

You must not have a beard

• Joe Bloggs
    Joe Bloggs

Beaker,

Ah now, that's a good one, no beards allowed. So what sort of example is Jesus and, well lemme see, yeah virtually ALL the males in Watchtower mags setting, including all the disciples? Kinda silly, isn't it. And isn't it just as astounding that the Watchtower dudes continue to "ban" beards but allow Jesus and his disciples no less to break their own rules? Shame on you, Watchtower! Shame on you Jesus for your Independent thinking!

Shouldn't Jesus and all his disciples (not to mention Moses and all the other OT cronies) be instantly annhililated come the BIg A?

Joe

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Oh so many rules, and then the various gray area rules, so called conscience matter rules and local custom rules. This would have been a talmudic pharasee's wet dream!

My favorite, sisters having to wear head wear if they are conducting a study with a baptized brother. In the 21 century in modern cities women have to wear burkas!

How stupid.

• dustyb
    dustyb

heh, actually at memorial the elder that was giving the talk was describing Jesus and said that he most likely had a beard. i just wanted to throw my books at him.

• El blanko
    El blanko

The whole beard thing is weird. When attending the memorial on the weekend I sported a full beard. One of the few brothers I spoke to actually drew attention to it!

Rather than say "how wonderful it is to see you here" the beard issue came up

Although he didn't actively condemn the beard to my face, I could see behind his eyes that he had already judged me. I attended to test the water at my local hall (as I had heard so many tales) and also to support a friend of mine who is on the outside and suffering as a result (they treat him like a leper regardless of his current moral standing).

It was explained to me a while ago that sporting a beard means that others lack trust in you or indeed consider you part of a radical splinter group, or maybe a revolutionary movement. It was also suggested that you have to trick the householder into believing in the aesthetic and therefore they will be drawn to the message (which goes against scripture - nobody comes to the son unless the father draws him etc).

From my own point of view it is garbage - blerg !!!!

• blondie
    blondie
    at memorial the elder that was giving the talk was describing Jesus and said that he most likely had a beard

dustyb, sounds like he was trying to fill in time and keep it interesting.

I asked once why it was okay to have pictures of Jesus in the publications and not on your walls at home since the WTS did not know what Jesus looked like. There are pictures of Jesus on the walls at Bethel.

Hmmmmmm...........

Blondie

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

When you finished adding up - then multiply by 2 - seems there's a different set of rules for those "stronger" ones.

• undercover
    undercover

R-rated movies are a no-no. Similar to beards, it's not expressly written as a rule, but it is implied and enforced upon any of the JWs with privileges. I've known MSs that got removed for owning R-rated movies. Bethelites are not allowed to have R-rated movies in their possesion. If any are found, the accused Bethelite is kicked out.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

how about that stupid dorky dresscode. Where is the scripture that women can't wear pants to the meetings?

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride
    The ancient Isrealites had about 600 rules in the mosaic law which they had to keep.

Just to clarify this, the Israelites only had to keep the rules that applied to them. For example, many of those rules had to do with farming. If they were not farmers, these rules didn't apply to them. So in reality, they did not have 600 rules to follow.

Devon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit