Texas Panhandle

by Shutterbug 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Another thing the Texas Panhandle has is something called "Stink weed..or Skunk weed..?

Each end grows into the dirt forming a loop. When you trip on it you get an odor exactly like a Skunk...

We tripped on several...Kids thought it was a hoot...

Snoozy..aka..Golden Girl..

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Glad to see you were able to follow Valis instructions and make Simons' system work. Wildflower Farms is worth the time. There is no charge unless you buy something and they let you roam all over the place looking at the flowers. There is a very nice gift store there although this poor boy thought it was a bit pricey.

XJW_B12, several year ago, probably in the early 60's my parents went to an assembly in Vancouver and came back with some very good slides. Now these pics were taken with a cheap point and shoot camera but they came out beautiful. It is amazing just how beautiful these gardens are. I sincerely hope I can get there someday. Thanks for posting the link.

Rabbit, I have a Canon EOS Rebel ti which is a good enough camera, but digital seems to produce much clearer pictures. That may be just a perception on my part because I'm lusting for a good digital camera. When taking flower pics I use a close up lens which screws on and lets me get much closer to the subject.

Man o man I love this stuff and am thrilled to find a fellow camera buff and wildflower fan. Rabbit, I sure hope you show up in Dallas at the end of May. We need to talk. Bug

Valis, I know you will enjoy the trip south and take a lot of pictures. Bug

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Golden Girl, because the panhandle is bone dry many years everything, including humans, must be tough or they die. Plants here tend to stink or sting or stick or in some other way are obnoxious. Where did you go in the Panhandle ?

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Beautiful pictures! They made my day; here in Maine all we have is mud, as far as the eye can see.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Shutterbug said:

several year ago, probably in the early 60's my parents went to an assembly in Vancouver and came back with some very good slides. Now these pics were taken with a cheap point and shoot camera but they came out beautiful.

You know I miss those slides, really do. I know people would groan, when they were invited to someones house to watch the pictures of their vacation or something. I enjoyed them. Slides in a projector were so life like and real.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Shutterbug,

I will be eatin' Chili with y'all in May fer sure. I took some purdy Blue Bonnet/Paint Brush pics today, I'll post them later.

Look forward to meeting you, too...!

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Thanks for posting the pics, Bug. I moved from Amarillo about 10 months ago. It was nice to have some pics to remind me of my old home.

One of the cool things about the Panhandle is the appreciation that the people there have for the environment. Here in AR, the interstates are lined with litter. In Amarillo, they were planting and cultivating wild flowers along the interstate.

CountryGuy

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Very nice Bug !!!!

I love the poppies and the four o'clocks !! I want some !!! I'll bet they wouldn't grow up here in the frozen north though and it's probably illegal to pick them and damn !! too many obstacles!

• codeblue
    codeblue

Nice photos...I do love the bluebonnets....they were my favorite flower when I lived in Texas!

Codeblue

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Codeblue, It's good to see you're feeling well enough to read and post on the computer. Here are some flowers that don't grow in the Texas Panhandle, but they sure do further south in Texas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit