Memorial Experience

by CaptainSchmideo 15 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

At my congregation's memorial, I saw two things I have never seen before.

1. Since Jesus said a prayer "over the bread and wine", the elders who gave the prayers just before passing the utensils took the microphone out of the podium, walked over to the table, and said the prayer "over the bread and wine." Never saw this before in over 30 years of attendance.

2. One elder, probably the most knowledgable, been a witness since he was a kid in the fifties, was wearing a lapel pin on his jacket, very small, looked like a black button. After the meeting, I got a close look. It was a Watchtower emblem situated over an open Bible. Didn't have the nerve to ask what that was all about. (Note, that the Watchtower was "over" the Bible. Insert your own interpration of that symbolism here.)

Anybody else see anything like this?

• MicStroz
    MicStroz

My memorial experience..............

Was sitting on a beach, watching the sun set..............

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

I've seen those pins before too. They are probably just made by the same guy who makes that book bags and the track holders

• akhessa
    akhessa

Maybe that pin is equivalent to the gold watch that some companies give their employees after X number of years of "service" in the company. On the other hand, with the WT it might more or a "secret" meaning, like being a member of the "inner circle". Why don't you plain ask him next time since it looks like you too are a regular.... But be careful, don't push too much if you want to stay "in good standing" and part of the flock!

• heathen
    heathen

It is kinda strange how they consider that the non anointed cannot petition jehovah's spirit since they don't have any spirit but yet are left in charge of one of the holiest rituals in the bible . They can't even eat and drink themselves because of the lack of spirit , according to the WTBTS . Praying over the emblems is probly just for show as the whole thing is just a make pretend deal with them .

The WT pin sounds new to me but is probly given to the members ( for a suggested donation) .

• simplesally
    simplesally

You can buy those sorts of lapel pins at JW bookstores........

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

1. Since Jesus said a prayer "over the bread and wine", the elders who gave the prayers just before passing the utensils took the microphone out of the podium, walked over to the table, and said the prayer "over the bread and wine." Never saw this before in over 30 years of attendance.

Well, it's been many a moon since I had the "privilege" of attending the exciting, spiritually moving memorial. But I do recall right before each of the emblems was passed, a prayer being said over them. Now, I don' recall the elder saying them directly OVER them, but a prayer was said before each. (Me, the only thing that we really interesting was checking out who might taken a bite/drink and surpise everyone.)

• Sumflower
    Sumflower

The table of emblems was on the stage, adn the prayer was said quite near them at our memorial.

The one thing I found interesting was that the elder said something along the lines of "the majority of those chosen for this heavenly calling were chosen then" referring to the years soon after Jesus died. And that "only a remnant were chosen in our day" which I found odd because there were nearly 144,000 JW's chosen in the early years of the organization.

I rolled my eyes a lot, and just played with the kids and made them smile.

• blondie
    blondie

Where I have attended, a separate standing/floor microphone is set up by the table with the bread and wine for the brother praying to use.

Interesting pin, maybe it is a security device, recording and filming questionable JWs (smile).

Blondie

http://www.mjcmjc.com/item.asp?N=PINB&L=E

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Interesting pin, maybe it is a security device, recording and filming questionable JWs (smile). 

Blondie

LOL....you're quick....I was going to say....maybe it was a micro-chip connected to a satalite...

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit