Congregation Book Studies in a brothers home-What weirdness did you endure?

by Thechickennest 29 Replies latest jw friends

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

There was this old strange JW sister that hosted the CBS when I was a 6-year-old or so. She always invited people that were even stranger than she to the CBS and they actually came. She was a victim of theft more than once.

She told me that she had encountered demons like someone ringing at her door without a head. Impressed me much as a kid. Well, at least I still remember.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Yes.........slippers...........those in the know brought their slippers!!! And, I take my shoes off in everyone's house.......and most people appreciate it!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I never experienced any weirdness. Just sadness in one respect. I moved to a part of town where most of the people in the book study were elderly. I kid you not, all but one died within 2 years!

• Swan
    Swan

Having grown up with this craziness, I seemed to keep my sense of humor about it all, even when our house was volunteered as a book study location by my mother. As the grown child still living at home, it fell to me to do the cleaning after work on Thursdays. The weekly house cleaning ritual was difficult due to a shag rug (what were my parents thinking) we had back then. My parents were frequently away on long trips, as they were in the process of retiring. Often I hosted the study by myself.

Our rural home was about as far away from the KH as possible. It wasn't much, just a trailer house with an addition built on. We had some goats and chickens as farm animals. Frequently our home was an emergency pit stop for coffee-logged pioneers. I felt so sorry for them. I was just glad I wasn't in their place. I always wondered what they did on days they found us not at home.

Sometimes it was very crowded. I remember one study where the conductor got up to move his chair to a more comfortable place to make room for others. Then he quickly looked to me and politely asked if that was okay. With perfect comic timing, I hesitated but a moment before responding, "Go ahead. I vacuumed under there." Everyone roared!

One conductor, whose stuck-up wife was a self-proclaimed member of the anointed, absolutely hated my father's bug zapper out on the front porch. In the summer, the windows were all open and that stupid thing kept frying away. I laugh now, but back then I was ready to die of embarrassment.

In the winter I had to always judge how much wood to stack into our wood-stove, the only source of heat in the addition part of the house. A brother we knew designed that thing, and it could really put out the heat if you weren't careful. There were a few meetings where we were all roasting by the end of the hour. People left real quickly on those nights.

My mother got upset when people used her embroidered towels or decorative soap. I figured she got what she deserved for 1. having the stupid book study at our house and 2. setting them out in the open where people looking for soap or a towel would see.

It was a lot of work, but I figure it was worth it. The Creation book was studied at our house, and no matter what questions I answered from that book, I had dozens of others I kept to myself that could not be as easily explained. As time went on my doubts grew. I really did like the people there and still miss them, except for the PO and his snooty wife.

Tammy

• jwbot
    jwbot

The bookstudy was at my house, and we always had goodie night, it was awesome! THEN some people complained that those that go to other bookstudies do not have goodie night so it was not fair, and so no more goodie night :(

• Swan
    Swan
    The bookstudy was at my house, and we always had goodie night, it was awesome! THEN some people complained that those that go to other bookstudies do not have goodie night so it was not fair, and so no more goodie night :(

Oh, for crying out loud!

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Sunnygal - yes, slippers did become a hot item to give as gifts to others!

• wednesday
    wednesday

The two things that stick out in my memory, low attendance, and actually being reported to the elders once by our BS host. Seems they just did not like us, and did not wish us to attend their home. The elders said it was mostly a racial/economic thing, and he was very sorry to have to tell us we'd have to go somewhere else, suggested the hall.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The two things that stick out in my memory, low attendance, and actually being reported to the elders once by our BS host. Seems they just did not like us, and did not wish us to attend their home. The elders said it was mostly a racial/economic thing, and he was very sorry to have to tell us we'd have to go somewhere else, suggested the hall.

Po' foke's ain't welcome eh? So much for all the "unity" and "brotherhood" BS.

• wednesday
    wednesday

no us (my hubby and I ) poor white folks were not welcome in this upscale home. Looking back it was disgraceful for them to do. We were very young and had one child. We were poor, we weren't dirty, stupid, or loud.

and btw,the elder who had to tell us was shook up over it. Looked like he had a bit of a"revalation" himself

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit