Have You Ever Heard This Explanation Why 144,000 is a Literal Number?

by Had Enough 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

The speaker said tonight (yes I went to the Memorial to appease my worried family ) that some may ask why do they (JWs) take 144,000 to be a literal number when the rest of Revelation is all symbolic.

Well he said its very simple....the scripture talks about the Lamb and the 144,000. It doesn't say Lambs as in more than one....No, it says Lamb referring to the "literal number of one Lamb".

So thats how we know that the 144,000 is a literal number and not symbolic like all the rest of Revelation.

OK....now am I going bonkers...or has anyone else every heard that explanation before? I know I never have and that doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Had Enough

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

No, I've never heard that explanation before. But then again, I stopped going to the KH in 1983. The last time I stepped inside one was when I visited my sister in 1995.

I had always concluded that the number was based on 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of Israel, and was therefore a very symbolic number.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Aw man, that's just silly! Talk about grabbing at straws to justify their loopy doctrines! Seeing as it's literal, it is real lamb too? baaaaaaaaa

BW

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

I was never a Witness... but if I were at the Memorial or a meeting for the first time, I would probably never come back -- what kind of a crap explanation is that??

• bebu
    bebu
    Seeing as it's literal, it is real lamb too? baaaaaaaaa

That was baaaaaaaaad.

Well actually--that is the same thought that sprang to my mind.

bebu

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Dan-O:

I had always concluded that the number was based on 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of Israel, and was therefore a very symbolic number

Yes I remember that as the explanation of why the number was 144,000 but always knew it was taken as a literal number...just was never sure why.

betweenworlds:

Seeing as it's literal, it is real lamb too? baaaaaaaaa

Well I too figured they are grabbing at straws...but "real lamb"....that's a good one!!!!

somebodylovesme:

what kind of a crap explanation is that??

I think that thought is crossing more than a few minds too.

Had Enough

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

You'd think the WTS would have learned a little about symbolic numbers when 1914 passed, or 1975, or ...

• Mac
    Mac

disregard

• eby
    eby

Yes, I heard that from the platform years ago. Couldn't believe they would use such a ridiculous argument.

If 1 Lamb in Rev. 14 makes the number 144,00 literal, does 1 Lamb in Rev. 5:8 make the number 24 literal?

The 24 elders in Rev. 5:8 are said to be symbolic of the 144,000 according to the WT.

*** Rbi8 Revelation 5:8-10 *** 8 And when he took the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, having each one a harp and golden bowls that were full of incense, and the [incense] means the prayers of the holy ones. 9 And they sing a new song, saying: ?You are worthy to take the scroll and open its seals, because you were slaughtered and with your blood you bought persons for God out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, 10 and you made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God, and they are to rule as kings over the earth.?

eby

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Whoa! Hang on a sec!!

Incense? Isn't that something that hippies & druggies use??

I'm feeling a stumble coming up ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit