TV channel defends plan to show an abortion in full

by ignored_one 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/04/05/nabor05.xml

Channel 4 defends plan to screen an abortion By Hugh Davies
    (Filed: 05/04/2004)

Channel 4 is to screen an abortion in its entirety, three years after it said that pictures of the aftermath of one were "offensive to public feeling".

The footage, lasting about five minutes, will be the first time that the procedure has been televised in Britain.

A London doctor is depicted adopting the manual "vacuum pump" method. The woman having the abortion is four weeks pregnant. Viewers will see the aborted foetus being placed on a petri dish.

Her abortion is to be accompanied by pictures of foetuses terminated at 10, 11 and 21 weeks - similar to the images that Channel 4 backed off from earlier. In addition, there will be an inspection of the aborted foetal remains of a seven-week pregnancy.

My Foetus is already provoking an outcry, with the Roman Catholic Church calling it "abhorrent".

A Channel 4 broadcast last year of an autopsy by Gunther von Hagens prompted hundreds of complaints. The Independent Television Commission rejected the complaints because the programme had "approached the limits of what is allowed" but had not exceeded them.

Mags Patten, a Channel 4 official, denied that My Foetus was part of a trend towards shock television. She said: "This is purposeful TV, opening up the debate on abortion."

Julia Black, who made the film, said last night: "The abortion debate in this country needs to be brought up to date. I think the pro-choice movement can no longer rely on just arguing abortion is a woman's right. They have to start engaging with the reality."

She filmed the abortion at the clinic founded by her father Ken Black, the Marie Stopes International in London.

Black, who had an abortion at 21, said that she believed "a pervasive silence" surrounded the physical reality of the procedure.

"Aborted foetuses from 10 weeks on look like tiny babies. Rationally, we know abortion ends the life of a potential human being but why, when we see what they look like, are we so shocked?

"I needed to be convinced that abortion is a morally legitimate procedure even after knowing what it involves, and I wanted to take viewers on the same journey."

Lord Winston, a pioneer in gynaecolological microsurgery, questioned whether, as he said of his own BBC programme that showed the moment of a man's death, My Foetus was "an absolutely valid TV exercise".

He recalled a similar furore that preceded his programme in the BBC's Human Body series.

"It is quite important for our society to be generally aware of death. The programme was roundly criticised before people saw it. Afterwards there was much praise and three Baftas."

During the 1997 and 2001 general elections, Channel 4, along with other broadcasters, refused to transmit images of aborted foetuses as part of the Pro-Life Alliance's party broadcasts. The channel said that the images breached regulatory guidelines on decency.

Channel 4 said its film, lasting 30 minutes, was a different type of broadcast as, apart from the abortion footage, individuals for and against the procedure were interviewed, along with doctors.

Jess Search, commissioning editor for the programme, said: "Part of Channel 4's purpose is to open up discussion in difficult territory, and I think My Foetus does that."

The film will be screened at 11pm on April 20

-

Ignored One.

• Realist
    Realist
    The woman having the abortion is four weeks pregnant.

why does she not use the abortion pill?

• Seven
    Seven
    why does she not use the abortion pill?

Why didn't she use the birth control pill?

• Xena
    Xena

Why didn't she use the birth control pill?

Not a viable option for all women due to medical reasons.

Never heard of the abortion pill realist...I did a search after I saw your comment. It would certainly be the method I would choose over a surgical option.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Anything for ratings.

• Realist
    Realist

xena,

this pill is certainly a lot better than the normal abortion procedures.

it was introduced in europe 10 years ago or so with a lot of protests from the church stating that it would make abortion to easy.

• glitter
    glitter

I'm sure that an abortion has been on British TV before. I remember seeing it (in the mid 90's - I know I was 12-14) it was a grainy black and white ultrasound image of an roundish-shape going into a tube with a sloped end bit by bit - might've been on a political broadcast by an anti-abortion group, IIRC it was on ITV after the 10 o'clock news.
    Obviously a very early-term one, as is this... but I don't get why this woman isn't being given a drug to induce a miscarriage or something - surely better, easier and cheaper than a surgical procedure.

I think possibly the programme wants to explain what's involved in a surgical abortion without showing the removal of a baby any further developed - that would be too upsetting for most people regardless of their standpoint on the issue.

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

WHY? Seems awfully graphic for television... but then, I think those "plastic surgery" shows are too graphic. I am blood shy.

• reboot
    reboot

The non-surgical abortion pill is RU486, mifepristone.It's supposed to be able to be used up to the 9th week of prenancy. There have been three deaths this year in the UK from it's use this year though., if it's not completely effective profuse continuous blood loss can start and if the pregnancy continues un discovered apparently, the baby will have severe birth defects.

I watched a programme like this last year-it was really disturbing, a foetus-well, 28 week old baby, was left to die on a draining board....while others of the same age in another part of th hospital were being recussitated and helpedthe doctor was cryng, it was pretty awful.

But it's important that we have the right to choose.I fell pregnant with all three of mine by accident-two using a cap and one the pill- I did'nt want children and was very careful; I think vascectomies are the answer.......

• Art In Me
    Art In Me

Just an interesrting tidbit...

RU486

Are You For 86

For those of us who have worked in the restaurant industry understand that "86'd" means you are out of something, it's gone, out of stock, etc so one would say to another co-worker "we are 86 on the xxx Shiraz"

Little bit of subliminal perhaps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit