Do GB really go out in service????

by marie67 12 Replies latest jw friends

• marie67
    marie67

This may have been posted before but I have always wondered if the GB go out in service like everyone else does. Do some former Bethelites have any insight on this? Or anyone else know?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

If memory serves, most of the GB are notoriously not out in field very often. It's possible they make an effort to "set an example," but they can easily claim that their life-saving work at HQ simply CANNOT be done by someone else - it is their "higher calling to service."

One GB member who is an exception to this, I've heard, is "The Boss" - Ted Jackass Jaracz.

• Odrade
    Odrade

John Booth regularly participated in the street work before he became too old/ill. Guy Pierce is a field service regular too. The others are beyond my personal experience, but I expect they mostly participate as much as work and travel allows. After all, just because they make the rules, doesn't make them any less indoctrinated than we were.

• morty
    morty

I thought there for a minute, Garth Brooks was a Jw now, and going out on service...

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

That's a very good question Marie.

The GB are put on a very high pedestal to the JW's only. When out in field service the public would view them as being just as annoying as all the other door to door evangelists.

Devon

• marie67
    marie67

I heard a story once about Knorr. Apparently he was out in service and someone made the comment saying to the effect " your just out making your higher ups rich" Something like that. Then Knorr supposedly said " May I introduce myself I'm Nathan Knorr president of the WTS!" AHHHH silence. Has anyone heard this before? Just curious Marie P.S. Everyone puts them on a pedestal.Myself being guilty as charged at one time.

• Mary
    Mary
    Nathan said: One GB member who is an exception to this, I've heard, is "The Boss" - Ted Jackass Jaracz.

Nathan: I think you had Ted's name spelled right the first time.

• AlanB
    AlanB
    I heard a story once about Knorr. Apparently he was out in service and someone made the comment saying to the effect " your just out making your higher ups rich" Something like that. Then Knorr supposedly said " May I introduce myself I'm Nathan Knorr president of the WTS!" AHHHH silence. Has anyone heard this before? Just curious Marie P.S. Everyone puts them on a pedestal.Myself being guilty as charged at one time.

Yea, I heard something like that story years ago, may be true maybe another urban myth.

• Mulan
    Mulan

When Dave did temporary work at Bethel several times, he asked if the GB went in service. The answer was "rarely" and some never do. There were a few who were so old they had to be helped to their offices. No way they could go door to door. They are corporate officers, with more important work to do.

• Room 215
    Room 215

As someone assigned to the same congregation as several of the ``biggies" of Bethel, i.e. Knorr, Suiter, etc. and having been given the job to assist in the compilation of the monthly field service reports I know first-hand that their hours never exceeded the mid single digits, and were mostly counted from speaking assignments, not from knocking on doors-- I've seen the slips.

In Bethel, the higher-ups, and the not-so-higher ups, are notorious slackers when it comes to field service and attending meetings in the local congregations to which they're assigned. Usually they invoke ``Bethel work" as the excuse, and because of their status, they can do it with impunity (no Circuit Overseer is likely to make a stink when confronted with a Bethel heavy).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit