Operation Iraqi Children (positive)

by Double Edge 16 Replies latest social current

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

It seems like very few of the positive stories get out of Iraqi. It's a pleasure when one finally does. Actor Gary Sinise has been on the news lately announcing the formation of a non-profit organization that hooks up desperate Iraqi schools with American sponsor groups like schools, churches, etc. to help provide them the basic necessities of learning. Below is just a couple of paragraphs from their website:

www.OperationIraqiChildren.org

The Need. During and after Operation Iraqi Freedom, American soldiers passing through Iraqi villages were horrified at the squalor of Iraqi schools, which had been severely neglected under the dictatorship of Saddam Hussein. Corralled in sweltering one-room buildings without air conditioning, fans, windows, solid floors, or even toilets, Iraqi students lack even the rudimentary supplies that American children take for granted. Libraries and books are almost nonexistent. Without these basic tools of education, Iraqi children face an uphill struggle to learn. "Imagine sending your child to a school in which there are virtually no books, no pencils, no paper, no blackboards," says Hillenbrand. "This is the reality for Iraqi children. The future of the Iraqi nation is being squandered for lack of basic school supplies."

Girl kissing soldier Moved by the plight of these children, many American soldiers have taken it upon themselves to help. Working in small groups on their days off, soldiers gather supplies sent by family members and church groups and take them to villages, sometimes coming under fire as they work to reconstruct the schools and deliver learning tools to Iraqi kids. Their efforts have met with immense gratitude from local Iraqis and their children, who now have access to the basic tools of education for the first time in their lives. "I have seen Iraqi kids climbing on our soldiers and hugging them and kissing them," remembers Sinise, who recently accompanied Army soldiers to a dilapidated school they were rebuilding. "I have seen their smiling faces and their attempts to say 'I love you' in broken English. The folks I saw had hope in their eyes and gratitude in their hearts for what was done for them."

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

I would urge everyone to pull up the web site and read it from start to finish. This is really an inspiring story and shows the good the United States of America is doing in Iraq. There is more to the story than the terroists who blow up people many of them innocent women and children.

www.OperationIraqiChildren.org

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Thank you Shutterbug.... it's a good cause, no matter what the politics.

• roybatty
    roybatty

Thanks SB, looks like a good cause. My kids and I are going to put a package together and send it next weekend.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    which had been severely neglected under the dictatorship of Saddam Hussein.

I will be interested to see how much feedback this thread gets

Thanks for posting this! A+

• Realist
    Realist
    This is really an inspiring story and shows the good the United States of America is doing in Iraq.

after what the Us did to that country it is high time that they do something good over there.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Realist... let's not start. Let's keep this positive... it's for the children.

• Realist
    Realist
    Let's keep this positive ... it's for the children

fair enough.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    "I have seen their smiling faces and their attempts to say 'I love you' in broken English. The folks I saw had hope in their eyes and gratitude in their hearts for what was done for them."

amen

• Double Edge

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit