ANOTHER CHANGE?

by Dansk 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

Claire was out shopping and bumped into a JW (who hasn't been to meetings herself for a l-o-n-g time!).

Claire: "Hi, how're you?"

JW: "Fine, thanks!"

Claire: "You know we don't go anymore?"

JW: "Yes. I heard"

Claire: "We've found out so much about the Org's teachings that are false."

JW: "I was around in 1975 and they definitely said it was the end then!"

Claire: "Yes, and we've found out that the 607 date is rubbish and that puts 1914 out!"

JW (starting to panic): "Anyway, we don't go by dates anymore!"

Some small talk then followed at the supermarket chicken counter. Then, before leaving, the JW said:

"No-one EVER comes to see me! Maybe it's because my husband doesn't go!!"

This is the second time I've heard about JWs not using dates - one being my older daughter.

Is this yet another policy change?

Ian

• boa
    boa

Gee aren't we up late?

Since I haven't been to meetings regularly in a few yrs and not at all for ~3 mnths, I couldn't say.

It will be interesting to see how they try to get out of the failed chronology. It seems to me that many many more will stay in the org and yet only be there for the social aspect of family and friends, not really be believers.

boa

jeece, I wish aliens from space would land in Brooklyn and declare themselves the originators of the human species with undeniable proof so that the org would face the music about their not getting the END right. (not that I believe we're from aliens, but if its true and it debunks the org, it would be fine all the same heh heh)

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I have a question:

if the dubs don't "go by dates anymore", how can they say the time left is short and that the Big A is any day now?

Ozzie

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    JW (starting to panic): "Anyway, we don't go by dates anymore!"

Do you suppose that is a reference to the change regarding the 1914 generation ?? Now it is this "wicked generation" that will no pass away etc. The WTS has always lived, and died, by dates, does anyone think they may have learned their lesson ?

if the dubs don't "go by dates anymore", how can they say the time left is short and that the Big A is any day now

Good question, hope someone can answer it. Bug

• FairMind
    FairMind

Yes, it's true that the WTS doesn't do "when the end will happen" dates anymore. However they do stick to certain dates that are essential to explain the WTS' involvment in the fulfillment of Bible prophecy. "1914" is a date they will probably never change as it is a key date. For example, if "1914" is admitted as to being incorrect then their explanation of the Societies members being in prison for 18 months in 1918-1919 would also be shown to be a false application of scriptures as it is essentially based on the 1914 date.

I suppose that since "1914" won't change niether will 607 BCE change as the date the Babylonians took the Jerusalem Israelites into captivity for 70 years. It's all part of an interrelated calculation that makes 1914 become the end of the Gentile Times. You are most likely aware that the 607 date and 1914 date were researched by Raymond Franz and found to be most likely in error. Ray explains all this in his book "Crisis of Conscience". I woulds recommend this book to all who would like to learn more about what goes on within the Society.

FairMind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit