Has anyone read Diane Wilson's book, "Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness"?

by carefully faded 18 Replies latest jw friends

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Today, I just received Diane Wilson's book, "Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness". I cracked it open tonight and in reading the first page, found something that makes me question her authenticity. She states, "In my 22 years as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I had attained the position of "Traveling Overseer" both in the United States and Brazil."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not recall a woman ever being appointed as an overseer . . .women are not allowed to oversee anything!

Has anyone else read this book? Is she legit?

CF

OK, sorry, I spoke too soon. I've come back to edit my question. After I read a bit further, I realized it is another ex-JW (a former Traveling Overseer in Brazil) that was writing the opening chapter . . . the Endorsement - not Diane Wilson. Silly me, I should have known there was no way a woman held a position of authority in "the organization".

But, now that you're here . . . have you read the book? Did you enjoy it? What are your thoughts?

CF

• Rick Aust
    Rick Aust

well keep reading and tell me how you found the book

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Yes, it has been among our list of reads. It has been instrumental in the AWAKENING of one of our family members and a married couple lifetime Jdud's/ friends. We all have such stories to share and from what I see on this board, many of these people should be published authors! We're watching for those movie scripts to be written too.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello Carefully,

Yes, I own the book. I found it very enlightening. It particularly opened my eyes in regard to the human suffering the organization causes. I think the author is both legitimate and very sincere. I'm sure you'll get a lot out of the book.

SNG

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

I know Diane Wilson personally, and I have a copy of her book. I can vouch for Diane and I know that she is authentic; every word in her book is true.

What you are reading there on page 9 is an "endorsement" by Don Nelson. Don Nelson used to be a "traveling overseer". By the way, I know Don Nelson too, he's a personal friend of mine. We are all "California folk".

Cynthia

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I've read the book and heartedly endorse it.

It provides an interesting perspective of women in the WTS as well as some good background information.

As a woman who also spent 22 years in the Borg I can say there were issues she discusses that mirror my own experiences and feelings almost exactly.

I could relate very well to her book and although I have never met her Iwould say it definitely has the ring of authenticity about it.

A MUST READ.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Carefully Faded,

Do a search and you'll find many threads discussing this book. Hope that helps.

BTW I can't say I liked the book, but maybe that's just me. I certainly don't recommend it. It's far too big on the emotion and distortion.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Homeros
    Homeros

Yes, I've read the book. I think it adds nothing to the vast amount of anti- or ex-JW books. It's just another "it-was-not-my-fault-because-I-was-brainwashed"-story. Although the cover promises never-before covered (women's) issues, it thoroughly disappoints on new insights on JWs, both on the personal as the doctrinal side of it. It has but one goal, stated right at the beginning: "The public needs to be warned".

The story is very, very boring and completely subjective (nothing wrong about it, but hardly useful for getting a trustworthy picture of the JW-community) and contradicts itself in many ways. It also contradicts my own experience within it (I am now an ex-JW). I don't mean Diane Wilson is dishonest, I think her high-strung emotions blurred the picture here and there. Her experience is certainly a sad one (especially her account of the disfellowshipment of her daughter), but the story is not balanced and even quite superficial.

Interesting aspect in her story is the position of her psychiatrist. Publisher's weekly remarks on this: [she] " seems to have transferred the near-divine authority that she once vested in her church to her therapist, whose words are sometimes reprinted here in boldface."

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I didn't care for the book much, but different strokes for different folks. I think that women would enjoy it more.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I read it and liked it okay. I did find several errors though, that affect credibility. It may have just been things the editors did, but some of her comments and observations didn't ring true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit