Flowers for Algernon - anyone ever read it?

by Sunnygal41 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Loved the story, always struggled with the question of whether the relatively short period of being intelligent would be worth it.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Just curious, when I first posted this thread, I had the thought that perhaps the movie "Awakenings" with Robin Williams was sort of a knock off on that..........but, wasn't that a true story? Anyone?

Terri

• Farkel
    Farkel

Besides the movie "Charly", a newer movie "Awakenings" (Robert DeNiro and Robin Williams) had almost exactly the same theme without the mouse.

Farkel

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Haven't read it for awhile

• Buster
    Buster

Beisdes the movie "Charley," and the newer movie "Awakenings," there was an episode of the cop show "The Rookies" in 1971 with Tyne Daley (sp?) as the guest star that witnessed a crime while she was on the upswing, but was far down the downswing by the time she needed to testify.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, while similar they were separate stories and authors. The interesting thing about Awakenings is that it was based on a true story. Despite much research, the human brain/mind is more unknowable than the deepest ocean.

Blondie

• bavman
    bavman

yes, and i've seen the movie.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Hello, Bavman!!! Thanks for responding to this...........it's an intense subject!

Ter

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

The Sunshine Woman said:

....and deeply saddened by the ending.

Thank you. *crossing Flowers for Algeron* off my list.

( Can't handle being deeply saddened. I always ask my wife before a movie that she has picked out "Does anyone die in this movie that I will care about?" )

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Yes! I remember reading that book as a freshman in high school....so sad, and he and that doctor/psycologist have a little affair while his IQ increases, and then they discover he will digress again, because the mouse did...very sad....we watched the movie after reading the book... black and white movie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit