Brainwashing

by Lady Lee 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• little witch
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    4. control bodily functions (urination, defecation, menstruation); remove privacy.

I'd like to add to this one. JWs are discouraged from getting up during the meeting (or assembly) for taking bathroom breaks. Bathroom breaks should be take before the meeting and after. It disturbs others when someone takes a bathroom break in the middle of the meeting. Ever get those stares from others when you're on your way to the washroom?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

LW I know you had something to say but it seems to have disappeared

Yes Nos I have been thinking about this one more and see all the rules and controls around this one too now.

• little witch
    little witch

Phooey, my post disappeared!

I was about to expound on number 13.

The irregular intrevels comment rings similar to how the society uses "new light". I believe one of the reasons and maybe the biggest reason for the new light technique is to keep the members focused on their need to stay involved. Many are afraid to miss a single meeting because they may miss out on the new light being fed to them. I also think that it is used to keep the members from becoming aware of the status quo. In other words, that carrot dangling thing again. Eventually one becomes aware that they will never get that darned carrot and it didnt look all that good anyway. So by changing the rules slightly, new hope is given.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks for coming back with that one. Yup it would fit

• little witch
    little witch

Number 5

Controlling food intake.

The society labels their directives as "food at the proper time"!

Equating their directives as life sustaining substance. And carefully "feeding" the flock (at the proper time) IMO equating their literature as food needed to survive, and only they can supply it (just as children are unable to provide for themselves)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

LW right on.

Good thing one of us has our brain switched ON.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Just to add to that

People are not allowed to help themselves because that would be "jumping ahead" of the org.

They are only allowed to eat what is served. Not allowed to go elsewhere.

Must be at all meals when served and be prompt and not leave the table until the meal is over and you have permission to leave.

Some foods are forbidden (both figuratively and symbolically)

Must prepare properly for meals by dressing appropriately and studying beforehand

oh and must in turn give out the life-saving food in the door to door work

• SAHS
    SAHS

Another example of the Society?s ?food control? now is that at district conventions, everyone is supposed to bring their own lunch and eat it within the convention premises. I remember the chairman announcing for people to not go outside the stadium premises to eat at restaurants because it is a ?worldly environment? and doesn?t ?contribute to the peace and unity? that is apparently experienced among God?s people. The thing that really gets me is that they say that you shouldn?t even get a hotdog at one those portable hotdog stands outside the stadium. If that isn?t control, then I really don?t know what is!

?SAHS

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

SAHS

When I was still going you could buy food at the conventions but I others have commented the same as you. Plus it seems there have been directions to make sure your cooler isn't too large. If you have two children and two adults waht do they think you will bring?

Add to that the inconvenience of staying in a hotel and having to find a grocery store to buy your provisions so you can make a few sandwiches to pack and go.

I consider this a real health hazard if people cannot keep their foods cool or are limited by buget to an unhealthy diet over the days of the convention. Peanut butter sandwiches will only take you so far.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit