Elders in Spain Steal Millions from Congregation

by cappytan 49 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Simon
    Simon

If they target people who have just sold property - houses, farms etc... then they could well land some big fish. If you look at the Wikipedia article there are examples such as "125 members of various Christian churches lose $7.4 million".

I don't think the figures are too unbelievable - we should keep an open mind pending more data.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Since 2008, property value in Spain has depreciated over 50% - those who sell are desperately in need of the cash, and can't afford surely to re-invest it in whatever. However, if this took place around 2001, that was the height of the real-estate fever in Spain, where property was (artificially) inflating in value over 8% per year. Some good opportunities for scammers in that climate ...

Eden

• steve2
    steve2

The great thing about the internet is how rapidly a story can be disseminated. The downside is the ease with which untrue or badly researched stories spread like wild fire - especially when tarted up to look like an official news release.

As my great Uncle Pelican use to say, Hold your horses.

And as I would add, Take a breather. If the story's correct, there will soon be ample confirmation. If not, well better that you did not run with it in the first place.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I was just reading the article in the "El País" newspaper.

It seems they were after those JW's who sold properties and persuaded them to invest in their scheme, in the shape of an investment company called "Rural New Life y Mutua Mas Vida".  Looks like they "re-invested" the funds in properties. (It mentions estates in Marbella and Lanzarote, tourist resorts). I bet that, in the craze of the real estate market back then, some deals were initially profitable, but soon they were caught in the curve.

The 1300 may well be solely the number of people that participated in some sort of class-action lawsuit, or identified victims by the court. The number of those who actually donated may likely be much larger than 1300. In that scenario, this story gains more plausibility.

Eden

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge
    I find this hard to believe. Not that it isn't possible but the fact it only involved local Elders. If such a scam were to happen the top dogs would've of been involved. For now I don't believe the story. The strange thing is that there should be news reports prior to sentencing. Why hasn't there been anything in regards to this in the last 12 months? A sentence of 9 to 12 years would require an investigation and I would assume a trial.
  • Letts Party
    Letts Party
    I also find this hard to believe. 170 million Euros in a country where the unemployment rate has been for the last decade at 25% or more is kind of implausible. Then how are these 14 elders supposed to circumvent the many COs, DOs, and branch visitors that would likely peep in every once in a while? The article mentions the use of a "cepillo" which denotes a donation tray, which we know the JWs dont use. . . I smell fish and its not the yummy sushi kind. 
  • Simon
    Simon

The unemployment rate doesn't really matter - whatever the country, there will be rich people doing very, very well.

There were billionaires being created during the last US recession.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

Bogus!

But I hope I am proved wrong. Any bad press for the Borg brings a smile to my face.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    The events date back to 2001, when 14 "elders" (the name by which Jehovah's Witnesses know their spiritual shepherds) used the ceremonies religious to collect from his parish cash "to build a hospital in Barcelona, that under our direction, do not provide blood transfusions to patients of our worship."

There is a hospital in Spain that offers bloodless surgery.

http://www.teknonbarcelona.com/en/medical-specialties/bloodless-medicine-and-surgery

It is the same hospital that offers proton beam therapy. 

http://www.teknonbarcelona.com/en/instituto-oncologico/radiation-oncology/shaped-beam-radiosurgery-novalis-radiotherapy-unit

• smiddy
    smiddy

This goes back to 2001 , this is now 2015 , have any western / English newspapers ,TV `s , Radios , etc covered this story ? Surely with the huge amount of money involved it would have gotten worldwide attention sooner or later .

Just saying 

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit