Do JW's hate wearing shoes or what?

by blindfool 12 Replies latest jw friends

• blindfool
    blindfool

Is it only the book studies I've been to or is it tradition to remove your shoes when going to a book study at someones home?

I always have to remember to make sure my socks don't have holes in them.

• talesin
    talesin

I've read this question before.

Here, it is traditional to take your shoes off when you enter someone's home. It is not a JW thing, but the respectful thing to do, especially in bad weather. Just common sense.

As my (nonJW) grandmother would say, "you can't be tracking dirt inside, I just scrubbed the floors".

It always puzzles me when people say this, maybe it's a regional thing (?).

talesin

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I noticed that homes with babies and new carpets in them ask that you take your shoes off.

In some they would have hard wood floors so they didnt care.

• Corvin
    Corvin

My wife and I have that rule; no shoes in the house. I even built a rack in the entry way for the kids and us as well as visitors to place their shoes on when they enter. It has kept our new carpet very clean since it was installed over a year ago, and everyone is much more comfortable not wearing shoes.

The only time I have regretted the rule was when a client came over and she brought her young daughter and her daughter's best friend. The kids were asked to remove their shoes and, ooh my garsh, big mistake! The daughter's friend's feet schmelled soooooooo bad, my kids had to leave the room . . .

• blindfool
    blindfool

So, maybe this is the tradition in some areas.

I live in the Southeastern United States and we have very high humidity. Taking off your shoes after a long day at work may not go over well at times.

I've had to get used to removing my shoes when going through airport security also. Oh well, I needed to throw away all those socks with holes in them anyway!!

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Here in Maine, people tend to leave shoes on. On bad winter days, a few will change from Bean-boots to bedroom slippers(!) at the hall-mostly the elderly do this. As far as in private homes, I've never seen this practice up here, as floors are cold and they prefer to keep their feet warm.

I, however, grew up with the notion that shoes are for outside only, never the house. At my doorway, I slip off my moccasins and either wear slippers or let my feet be naked. In other's homes, I take my cue from what the host is doing, as some are offended by nudie-toes on their floors.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I must be old fashioned but I prefer to remove my shoes. Marco and I have our slippers at the front entrance and so when we remove our shoes or boots we slip into our warm slippers.

Many times I have been invited to others homes and I automatically remove my shoes unless they insist otherwise. As some floors are really cold in the country so you need to have warm toes.

I am liberal, so if someone forgets to remove their shoes i don't say anything unless I have just had the floors washed.

Love OrangefatcatOrangeFatCat 15

• blondie
    blondie

No, it depends on the area. I live in a wintry area and people are expected to take off their boots before coming in from the entry, JWs and nonJWs alike. If people have new carpet, off with the shoes. It is important to remember that when someone has a book study in their home that 20 to 30 people are coming in and out twice a week, 52 weeks a year, a lot more wear and tear than in the normal home without a book study.

My grandmother always would bemoan a farmer brother who always came to the book study with his barn boots on, and he would not take the off. Maybe that is when it started.

Many Asian cultures require the removal of footwear too. I think slippers are provided to guests.

Blondie

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

yeah, i think it must be a cultural thing up this way. it's prettymuch expected that you take your shoes off when you enter someone's home. even to this day, my gramma has a fit if we wear our shoes in past the rug in front of the door.

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

In Japan it is customary to remove your shoes before entering the home, however, house slippers are provided for all guests.

Where I got steamed was where we went to bookstudy in a home where the family's small dog was allowed to run freely through the carpeted house, but we had to take off our shoes. Doggy bathroom hygiene vs my good meeting shoes, worn only from my house to the car to the bookstudy home/kingdom hall....hmmm, what is wrong with this picture?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit