Don't you just love a great quote?

by stillin 16 Replies latest jw friends

• stillin
    stillin

i have seen a few here on this forum. I just came across on in a book I'm reading that I thought I would share with you, appropriate to the forum.

"men think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one"

Charles Mackay in Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)

• zeb
    zeb

"5% of people think, another 10% think they think the other 85% are terrified if they have to think"--Edison.

"If you want a criticism of democracy its a 5 minute discussion with the average voter"-- Churchill.

"Even in peace a gentleman keeps a blade by his bed"--Sun Tzu

"As above so below" an ancient script meaning as you think so you are.

"Do to others as you would have them do to you"-- Jesus.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
  • talesin
    talesin

“The sun illuminates only the eye of the man, but shines into the eye and the heart of the child.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

• stillin
    stillin

Great ones! 

I picked up this one here:

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned."

Richard Feynman

• millie210
    millie210
    “To get lost is to learn the way.” African proverb

This one is a touchstone for me currently, as I free fall in that no mans land between what I formerly thought was truth and where I will eventually end up - which is not clear to me right now.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

millie210: "...as I free fall in that no mans land between what I formerly thought was truth and where I will eventually end up - which is not clear to me right now."

Hang in there Millie, you'll find the way. 

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"Hay hombres que luchan un día y son buenos. Hay otros que luchan un año y son mejores. Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida, esos son los imprescindibles. - Bertolt Brecht

Translation:

There are men who fight for one day and they are good. There are others who fight for a year and are better. There are those who fight for many years and are very good. But there are those who fight all their lives and are indispensable.

• millie210
    millie210

Thanks Village. Folks such as yourself are making it all a lot easier!

And I am grateful for the journey. 

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Stillin, can you source that quote you attributed to Richard Feynman? 

I don't believe he is the source.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit