Seattle Post Intelligencer article on Moscow banning witnesses....

by jimbob 8 Replies latest jw friends

• jimbob
    jimbob

Here's the link, but I copied the article below. You'll probably have to cut and paste it in your browser window.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apeurope_story.asp?category=1103&slug=Russia%20Jehovah's%20Witnesses

Also, at the end of the article was a link to a JW Connections website for single JWs. I never knew this site existed. I thought the internet was a bad thing for JWs......

http://www.jwconnections.com/?google

Moscow court bans Jehovah's Witnesses

By ANNELI NERMAN
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

MOSCOW -- A Moscow court has banned the religious activities of Jehovah's Witnesses from the Russian capital in a move that critics called a step back for democracy and religious freedom.

Prosecutors claimed Jehovah's Witnesses destroys families and fosters hatred. Moscow's Golovinsky district court on Friday granted their request that it be outlawed in the capital under a provision that allows courts to ban religious groups considered to incite hatred or intolerant behavior.

John Burns, a Canadian lawyer for the group, pledged to appeal the decision to higher Russian courts and to pursue it in the European Court of Human Rights.

"Religious minorities are often a litmus test for where a society is going... this is an ominous signal," he said.

Defense lawyer Galina Krylova argued that the decision has no legal foundation as the prosecutor simply cited the denomination's religious literature.

"The activities of Jehovah's Witnesses weren't the subject of the court trial ...the subject was the religious beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses... doctrinal arguments," Krylova said.

The U.S. State Department also criticized the decision.

"We deplore the recent decision ... to ban the religious activities of Jehovah's Witnesses in Moscow and to liquidate their legal entity," State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Friday in Washington.

"We urge local authorities and the Russian government to honor their commitments to respect the right of all faiths to religious freedom," he added.

The Moscow group has been fighting for survival since 1998 when proceedings were first launched to shut them down. In 2001, a local court threw out prosecutors' attempts to ban the group in a ruling hailed as a sign of increased religious tolerance.

But another court later ordered a new hearing in the case and the second trial began in the Golovinsky Court in the spring of 2002.

The ongoing legal battle and a refusal by justice authorities to reregister the group as required by a 1997 law have already hampered the activities of the capital's estimated 10,000 Jehovah's Witnesses.

"Hearing today's verdict I think we returned to the Soviet Union of 50 years ago," said Vasilii Kalin. Kalin was sent into exile in Siberia in 1951 at the age of 4 with his family and another 10,000 Jehovah's Witnesses who refused to renounce their faith during Stalin's state-atheism campaign.

Russia's 1997 religion law enshrines Orthodox Christianity as the country's predominant religion and pledges respect for Buddhism, Islam and Judaism, but places restrictions on other groups.

Christian Presber, a spokesman for Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia, said Saturday that the denomination has more than 133,000 members nationwide. He expressed concern about the ramifications of the court's decision for communities outside Moscow.

"We anticipate it's going to unleash a whole plethora of new attempts by local and regional authorities to impede our activities," Presber said.

Also Friday, Russian President Vladimir Putin said he favored drafting a bill on state support "to the spiritual leaders of traditional religious confessions," the ITAR-Tass news agency reported.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Jimbob, very interesting info!

<Prosecutors claimed Jehovah's Witnesses destroys families and fosters hatred>

Wondering if any of those prosecutors have been JW's or seen personally how it destroys families and fosters hatred? Whether or not they have, that statement is right on the money!

Thanks for sharing this article.

Codeblue

• Joker10
    Joker10

Banned? wow.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

*"We anticipate it's going to unleash a whole plethora of new attempts by local and regional authorities to impede our activities," Presber said."*

YA THINK?

Heeheeheeheehee

hugs, Annie

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Much as I hate the WTS, I think that this decision is a legal travesty. It's pure political manipulation of the judiciary, and is primarily motivated by religious jealousy and protectionism.

Censorship with the purpose of promoting tolernce almost inevitably turns into censorship to restrict criticism of current policy. That can be seen even here in the United States, where colleges have disciplining students as 'racists' for protesting the colleges' affirmative action policies.

Negative publicity about the Witnesses has already had a strong impact on their membership growth in the former Soviet Union. That is a much better solution than government bans.

• crownboy
    crownboy

Ditto, Euphemism. The cout decision is a total travesty; religious liberty should be a staple of civil society. Unless the JW's are urging the assasination of the countries leaders at their meetings or something (which we know they aren't), then the government has no interest in banning their work except on grounds of rank censorship. The JW's should be defeated with facts, not the unfair application of government power. I hope the JW's win on appeal, and I'm glad our US State Department spoke out against the decision; perhaps it might have an effect.

• sf
    sf

FOXNEWS just reported it, live, not just on the scrollbar. As I was sitting in yahoo pasting up the news, I heard the reporter speak of the item.

Also is this item on their website, as is already posted in another thread:

Jehovah's Witnesses Hold Caucus on Sex Abuse:

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,115410,00.html

Saturday, March 27, 2004

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Present and former Jehovah's Witnesses ( search ) who claim they were sexually abused by congregation leaders gathered in their first national caucus Saturday, sharing grievances about the religion's handling of abuse complaints and discussing legal strategy.

sKally, gets out of the Snowballs way, and fast! klass

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

For those who aren't aware, the 'caucus' the article is referring to is the Silent Lambs conference that was announced on the board. Nice to see it getting national media coverage.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

A BBC News UK Edition commenting on the topic reported: "The court ruled that group's practices broke up families, encouraged suicide and threatened its members' health by not allowing blood transfusions."

Interesting observations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit