Goth/Punk/Metalhead/Rivethead XJWs on this forum

by ColdRedRain 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I've noticed that alot of JW youth that leave the faith in their late teens and early twenties become one of those 4 things, yet I haven't seen many in this forum. It might also be that I'm not here that often (380 posts since Oct of '02).

Anyways, if there are any, speak up.

• talesin
    talesin

I met an exJW a couple years ago who is a punk, he's in his late 20s now, but has been out about 10 years.

Anarchist myself - too old to do the punk thing, but I agree with a lot of the philosophy. I enjoy reading/listening to Henry Rollins, he's one of my favs.

talesin

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I'm sort of more on the "gothic" side (God, that label used to be a good label.). You'll find songs by Inkubus Sukkubus, Lycia, a bit of Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Bella Morte, London After Midnight and Switchblade Symphony on my CD player and hard drive.

And as of this summer, I've decided to quit patronizing Hot Topic.

• amac
    amac

Never got all that into Goth or Punk, but dabbled into the music. I fancied myself a mod in my younger days and have always listened to some of the fringe goth and punk. Now I just collect music of all kinds.

• Jahna
    Jahna

I was a metal head in my teens, became a JW and stopped listening, now I am back to metal in my late 30's. So not all youth go wild after leaving.

Jahna

"Forever trusting in who we are, and nothing else matters" Metallica

• FMZ
    FMZ

I listen to everything from jazz and blues, to classical piano, to rap, to gothic.......... The list goes on. I am currently listening to John Lennon. I am 21 years old, an left last year. I dont see myself as a goth, but I do feel I have a strong link to the feelings and emotions in such songs. In just the same way, the feeling put into a concerto can also bring me to tears.

If I can relate to music, I will listen to it, strive to understand it, and learn from it. Music is a beautiful art form, more amazing than any other. It can bring feelings of rapture, fear, happiness, guilt, depression. Music can take you to the heights of the heavens, or drive you into the depths of hell, all with one strike of the ivory key; the ivory key that opens the lock to one's emotions.

It is amazing how music can be interpreted differently by different people, for instance Creed's amazing 'One Last Breath', here is the chorus:

"Hold me now
    I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking
    maybe six feet
    Ain't so far down"

I see this song as the guy wanting to kill himself... He is saying, if you want to keep me, then hold me... otherwise, I will kill myself, because 6 feet isnt so far down... it won't hurt that much, and life will be over, no more pain. My wife however, says it is about him thinking that it is only 6 feet difference between where he is now, and isnt worth it, as it would sadden his love.

I heard this song and related because it is suicidal... my wife relates to it because she says it shows true love.

Futher Mucking Musician

• Nadsam
    Nadsam

Went through a phase of "Death Metal" , was crazy about MEGADETH this while I was a dub pioneer early 90's....Never really did like the MOSH Pit though. "Dead Kennedy's" were also a favourite of mine !!!!!!!!!!!!! then got Married and couldn't lead the double life anymore,,,besides my wife at that time was a Mariah Carey fan and so for the price of love I stopped headbanging and started to become tone deaf ...er hmm If you are married you now what I mean.

Lately I'm more into oldies (nothing beats "Smoke on the Water") ...maybe because I am one and spend alot of time on weekends watching so 80's on VH1 (mostly for laughs). Kinda also like techno a little lately APHEX TWINS are good ..I think !?!

Nadsam

• talesin
    talesin
    my wife at that time was a Mariah Carey fan and so for the price of love I stopped headbanging and started to become tone deaf

lol @ Nadsam

• Nadsam
    Nadsam

talesin...must I start a thread titled "MY WIFES MUSIC SUCKS OMG!"....hehehe

Nadsam

• Satanus
    Satanus

Towards the end of my wt daze, i started liking death metal. Seems i left it behind when i left the wt. What i listen to more now is *silence*. Strange, i know.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit