The king of eternity and the eternal house

by Leolaia 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

In Jeremiah 10:10, Yahweh bears two titles that are placed in parallelism: mlk 'wlm "eternal king" and hw'-'lhym chyym "the living God". In Canaanite literature, 'llm or Olam is an epithet that the aged father god El specifically bears, in addition to Ab-shanem "Father of Years," Elyon "Most High", Shaddai "Mountain-Dweller," and others. However the Rephaim, the dead ancestor kings in the netherworld, may also lay claim to 'llm in their kingship. One "Rephaim text" from Ugarit lists several of the Rephaim:

[1] "There was Thamaq the Rapha of Baal, the warrior of Baal and the warrior of Anat. There was Yahipan the valorous, the prince of eternal kingship (zbl mlk 'llmy)" (KTU 1.22 i 7-10).

My earlier post on the Rephaim showed that the Bible described the Rephaim in similar terms (cf. Proverbs 9:18; Isaiah 14:4-11, 26:14), and the concept derives from Canaanite ancestor worship of the great, famed deified kings of old. Although the Rephaim reside in Sheol, El can lead them out to join him on his holy mountain to bless the new king when he is enthroned (note also the water-into-wine motif):

[2] "Throughout that day he poured wine of Thamak, the foaming wine of rulers (srnm), wine to delight the thirsty, the wine of ecstacy. From high up in the Lebanon, dew transformed into foaming wine by El. Lo, a day and a second, the Rephaim ate and drank, a third, a fourth day, a fifth, a sixth day, the Rephaim ate and drank in the lofty banqueting house, on the peak in the heart of the Lebanon" (KTU 1.22 i 17-25).

The leader of the Rephaim, indeed who could be regarded as their ancestor, was Rapiu or Rapha who is mentioned in 2 Samuel 21:15-21 and who likely served as the basis of the Rephaim king Og of Bashan in Deuteronomy 3:11-13. Like King Og of Bashan, Rapiu was described in Ugaritic texts as the king of the same region (i.e. where his cult was centered), and he bears the title "King of Eternity":

[3] "May Rapiu, King of Eternity, drink wine, yea, may he drink the powerful and noble god, the god enthroned in Athtarat, the god who rules in Edrei (i.e. biblical Bashan)....The strength of Rapiu, the King of Eternity, with his help, with his power, by his rule, by his splendor among the Rephaim of the underworld" (KTU 1.108 R 1-3, V 22-24).

Now when we compare Rapiu with Egyptian mythology, he closely resembles Osiris as the king of the netherworld and whom through his son Horus was the source of earthly kingship, and most curiously Osiris also bears the title "King of Eternity":

[4] "Hail to you, Osiris, king of eternity, lord of gods, of many names, of holy forms, of secret rites in temples! Noble of ka he presides in Djedu, he is rich in sustenance in Sekhem" (Great Hymn to Osiris, Amenose Stela, COS 1.26, 1).

The deceased kings in the underworld were also called "lords of eternity". The tomb inscription of Neferhotep declares: "O God's father, what a salvation is yours. Since you have united with the lords of eternity, how enduring is your name forever, glorified in the necropolis" (COS 2.13, III). Thus the biblical description of Yahweh as the "eternal king" has a chthonian connotation, and this is reinforced by the paralleled title hw'-'lhym chyyh "the living God" which contrasts with mwt "death". But there is another use of 'wlm "eternal" in reference to Yahweh that also has a connection to the netherworld. 1 Kings 8:13 refers to the Temple as "a magnificent house (byt)" for Yahweh "to dwell forever ('wlmym)". In rabbinical literature, Beth Olamim is the name for the hoped-for future Temple and throughout Akkadian and Assyrian literature, the expression is similarly used to refer to temples. Thus Nebuchadnezzer wrote in a building inscription:

[5] "In the middle of Borsippa I rebuilt E-zida, the eternal house. I raised it to the highest degree of magnificence with gold, silver, other metals, stone enameled bricks, beams of pine and cedar wood" (COS 2.122B, i).

And similarly in an earlier Sumerian inscription:

[6] "May you build enduringly the eternal house. May you build enduringly Nanna's eternal house, the ?? quarters (?) and the courtyard of Nanna -- the temple whose shadow extends out into the midst of the sea, the E-ki?-nu-gal, the sweet wonder, the temple of Nanna built on empty land" (Hymn to Nanna [G], B 10-17)

So far so good. But the expression "House of Eternity" or "Eternal House" also frequently refers to the tomb of the necropolis in the underworld in Egyptian religion. One example:

[7] "He made (the tomb) as his monument; his first virtue was in adorning his city, that he might perpetuate his name forever, and that he might establish it for eternity in his tomb of the necropolis.... that his name might live in the mouth of the people and abide in the mouth of the living, upon his tomb of the necropolis, in his excellent house of eternity, his seat of everlastingness" (Inscription of Khnumhotep II, par. 2, 14)

The Tale of Sinuhe also alludes to the "eternal cities": "Now old age comes, feebleness has attacked me, my two eyes no longer recall what they see, my two arms droop heavily, my two legs refuse their service, the heart ceases to beat: death approaches me, soon shall I be borne away to the eternal cities" (Sayce, RP 2:Sinuhe). The same usage also appears in post-exilic Jewish literature. Ecclesiastes 12:5, referring to human mortality, thus says that "the human being is going to his eternal house (byt 'wlmw)", exactly the Egyptian concept. In an Aramaic deed of grant from Nahal Hever on the Dead Sea, dated 13 July A.D. 120, also uses the expression wherein a woman's father bequeaths her his property "from the day I go to my eternal house (lbyt 'lmy) and forever". So the expression "eternal house" can refer to either a divine temple or the abode of the dead.

In this vein, and considering the connection between El and Olam "eternity," consider the following passage from the eighth-century B.C. Book of Balaam which describes El's activities in Sheol:

[8] "El satisfied himself with lovemaking, and then El fashioned an eternal house... a house where no traveler enters, nor does a bridegroom enter there. Worm rot from a grave, from the reckless affairs of men, and from the lustful desires of people.... There kings behold (?), there is no mercy when Mot seizes a suckling ... the heart of the corpse is desolate as he approaches Sheol ... to the edge of Sheol and the shadow of the wall, [where] the quest of the king is moth rot" (COS 2.27, II A-H)

Like the Rephaim texts in Isaiah, the Balaam text here stresses the impotence of the kings in Sheol but curiously refers to El building an "eternal house" in the chthonic domain of Mot. The allusion to the walls and "house" suggests a necropolis like the one Mot has lordship over in the Baal Epic:

[9] "Then they set their faces towards divine Mot, towards his city Muddy, a pit the seat of his enthronement, a crevice the land of his inheritance" (KTU 1.5 ii 13-16)

But why is El the one building the Eternal House? And might there similarly be a connection between Yahweh and the underworld, or are the chthonic overtones in the "eternal king" and "eternal house" allusions simply coincidental?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    But why is El the one building the Eternal House? And might there similarly be a connection between Yahweh and the underworld, or are the chthonic overtones in the "eternal king" and "eternal house" allusions simply coincidental?

I wondered if you were expecting an answer, or it was only a rhetorical question meaning "Fortsetzung folgt"...

I'll give it a try anyway: I understand that El, as Father of all gods (including Yamm and Mot), is situated beyond the antithesis of life and death. However, I do think relating so-called "eternity" and the underworld is a very good idea. In addition to Qoheleth, one could mention Psalm 143:3 (= Lamentations 3:6):

making me sit in darkness like those long dead (mete 'olam, which could also mean "inhabitants of 'eternity'").

This could be related to the usual relation of 'olam to the root 'lm meaning "hidden", which would very well suit the underworld.

Of course there is also a distinct tradition separating Yhwh from she'ol, as JWs well know. Perhaps this can derive from a Baal rather than El pattern (though the wrath of Yhwh is also described with Yamm features). Psalm 88:4ff for instance:

I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;
    I am like those who have no help,
    like those forsaken among the dead,
    like the slain that lie in the grave,
    like those whom you remember no more,
    for they are cut off from your hand.
    You have put me in the depths of the Pit,
    in the regions dark and deep.
    Your wrath lies heavy upon me,
    and you overwhelm me with all your waves.
    You have caused my companions to shun me;
    you have made me a thing of horror to them.
    I am shut in so that I cannot escape;
    my eye grows dim through sorrow.
    Every day I call on you, O Yhwh;
    I spread out my hands to you.
    Do you work wonders for the dead?
    Do the shades rise up to praise you?
    Is your steadfast love declared in the grave,
    or your faithfulness in Abaddon?
    Are your wonders known in the darkness,
    or your saving help in the land of forgetfulness?
    But I, O Yhwh, cry out to you;
    in the morning my prayer comes before you.
    O Yhwh, why do you cast me off?
    Why do you hide your face from me?
    Wretched and close to death from my youth up,
    I suffer your terrors; I am desperate.
    Your wrath has swept over me;
    your dread assaults destroy me.
    They surround me like a flood all day long;
    from all sides they close in on me.
    You have caused friend and neighbor to shun me;
    my companions are in darkness.
    Just some more questions...
  • OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

I'm really not interested in the comparative religion thing. Too many holes in it, in my opinion. But I wonder if in your researches in ANE literature or archaeology has turned up anything in answer to what I am interested in: the derivation, meaning, and correct pronunciation of YHWH in the Hebrew Bible?

You use "Yahweh," yet you must surely know that "Yahweh" is but a scholarly conjecture. Does anything more concrete exist, from your research?

Thanks.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Narkissos.....It is precisely because El stands outside the antithesis of life and death that Jeremiah 10:10 and the Book of Balaam quote are so intriguing. Is Yahweh the "living God" because he is like Baal and had survived death? But then what is El doing building a chthonic "house of eternity"? Might this be an allusion to El creating Sheol? Indeed, why is Yahweh nowhere described as creating Sheol in the many OT descriptions of cosmogony, or is such a thing indeed mentioned? And why are allusions to the "living God" so frequently connected with war and divine judgment (cf. Deuteronomy 5:26; Joshua 3:10; 1 Samuel 17:26, 36; 2 Kings 19:4, 16; Isaiah 37:4; Jeremiah 10:10-11; Daniel 6:26), which in Canaanite religion are aspects of Anat who also rescued Baal and fought Mot. I really don't know what the answer is to these questions...these are just some interesting coincidences and commonalities I found. Psalm 143:3 is indeed another chthonic use of 'olam "eternity," and another biblical reference might be Psalm 49:11 referring to tombs (or possibly, being "inside" Sheol) as btymw l-'wlm "eternal homes".

OHappyDay....There is very little on Yahweh, the origin of the name is obscure. I do not believe Yahweh was the Yaw of the Ugaritic texts. Here is what I recently wrote on the subject: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/68919/1081043/post.ashx#1081043

• JCanon
    JCanon

Thanks for this info Leolaia, you do have something here that I've wondered about, but I had a different take on it. I've had occasion to become familiar with scripture, of course, but also Greek writings and was amazed at some of the same phrases, like one that says regarding Baccus, I believe, that "the fear of god is the beginning of wisdom"--which is in the Bible! Do you know where that is?

I think it's too much of a coincidence, though probably several theories could explain it, but I will post an "esoteric" reference from the "Mysteries" that relates to angelic inspiration in pagan mockery of God's plan that you might find interesting. At this point, though it's just a comparison and you might have your own view about it it's interesting!!! It's regarding the "Eleusinian Mysteries" and the Christian second coming.

JC

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Another curious thing: What in the world does "lovemaking" have to do with building the "eternal house" of Sheol? In the Ugaritic cycle of myths, El's lovemaking is always associated with theogony, as in the case of the "gracious gods" of Shahar and Shalem. Since Mot is mentioned in the same text, might this refer to El begetting Mot and then building a house for him? Hmmmmm....

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I enjoyed that Leolaia, especially the "eternal house" of Eccl.

I do understand the reasons some are reserved about the Ugaritic Yaw connection with YHWH (Yaw), but perhaps it is too hasty to dismiss out of hand just because it seems to complicate the Edom/Midian model. To be sure the single epigraph tho provocative is insufficiant to support any theory properly. Cross and others have suggested that YHWH is an abbreviation of a theonym for El (Yahweh-El) much like Jacob-El became just Jacob, suggesting that our Yhwh may be a deified human (real or literary). There are of course other very good suggestions but it seems yet impossible to be decisive.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Besides the creation symbolism isn't lovemaking a characteristicly male expression of dominion and machisimo. What guy if he was a god wouldn' t spend his day lovmaking?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Song of Solomon 8:6:

For love is strong as death (maweth = Mot),
    passion fierce as the grave (she'ol).
    Its flashes (reshapheha = Resheph) are flashes of fire,
    a raging flame (flame of Yah?).

The linking of Resheph with Mot in the description of Love is especially striking.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hi leolaia

Sorry this sin't on topic. I was wondering if you had ever looked into zecharia sitchin's claimed translations of sumerian stuff, or if there is a site that has done so. I wasn't able to find much. That guy badly needs to be debunked. His crap is making worse people who are already half gone.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit