Is the Holy Ghost (aka Holy Spirit) the Rodney Dangerfield of the Trinity?

by True North 10 Replies latest jw friends

• True North
    True North

Rodney Dangerfield, the comedian, is famous for his schtick that begins with the words "I get no respect" followed by a self-deprecating joke that makes his point. It seems to me that in relation to the Trinity, the Holy Ghost (aka Holy Spirit) might make the same complaint. I ended up thinking about this the other day as I was recollecting a movie that came out in the early seventies called Greaser's Palace. This rather blasphemous film by Robert Downey Sr. (father of actor Robert Downey Jr.) features characters representing Jesus, God, and the Holy Ghost set in Old West days. The Holy Ghost character is covered by a sheet with eye holes cut in it, wears a hat, and goes through the movie complaining that he never gets any attention because nobody cares about him.

I don't really know much about the Trinity other than what I was told as a JW but it does seem to me that the Holy Ghost is definitely running a distant third in the popularity contest. When JWs get into arguments with Trinitarians, it's almost always about whether Jesus is God, isn't it? Are there ever any heated discussions as to whether Jesus is the Holy Ghost? Does anyone really care? Did anyone ever believe in a Duality (just God and Jesus) instead of a Trinity?

• Flash
    Flash

Though I don't accept the Trinity as reality, I love the way you put the question!! LOL

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Hi... I'm one of the odd ones here, never been a dub. However, I believe that there are 3 separate "identities" (people...whatever). In one way, you're right... the Holy Ghost is seldom talked about, gets "no respect" (lol), yet Jesus said that when He left this world, the Holy Ghost would come and the disciples would be able to do greater things than what was done when He was around. That tells me not only is the Holy Ghost important but he's potent.... (but, it's "lonely" being 3rd )

• Mary
    Mary
    Are there ever any heated discussions as to whether Jesus is the Holy Ghost? Does anyone really care? Did anyone ever believe in a Duality (just God and Jesus) instead of a Trinity?

I believe at the end of the first century CE, there were various arguments put forth as to whether Jesus was God, or God's Son. Justin Martyr believed that the Father and the Son were equal, as did Clement of Alexandria and Irenaeus, but it wasn't formalized into the Trinity until, of course, 325 CE at the Council of Nicene. The Arians, a group of early Christians, rejected the idea of a Trinue God and were promply excommunicated by the Catholic Church. The debate raged back and forth for centuries.

I for one, don't believe in the Trinity. Jesus was a Jew and Jews never believed that God was a Trinue God; they've always worshipped God as one--never three. My personal opinion is that during the early years of Christianity, I think certain scriptures could have been tinkered with, perhaps to make it look as though Jesus were equal with God............but dat's just my opinion. The doctrine of the Trinity never made any sense to me at all......

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

John 16: 5-15 (New King James Version): "But now I go away to Him who sent Me, and none of you asks Me, 'Where are You going?' But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they do not believe in Me; of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged. "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

The Apostle Peter believed in the Trinity:

1st Peter 1:2: elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.

1st Peter 3:18: For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit,

So did the Apostle Paul:

Romans 15:30: Now I beg you, brethren, through the Lord Jesus Christ, and through the love of the Spirit, that you strive together with me in prayers to God for me,

2nd Corinthians 13:14: The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen.

Ephesians 2:18: For through Him [Jesus] we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.

1st Corinthians 12: 4-11: There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Of course the Jews didn't believe in a Triune God, but neither did the majority of them believe in Jesus. The Old Testament reveals to us the Father above. The New Testament reveals Jesus here on earth and the Holy Spirit within each believer. The whole Bible centers upon these three persons.

By the way, Trinitarians do not believe that Jesus is the Holy Spirit.

Although the word "Trinity" is not found in the Bible, Trinitarians believe the essence of it most certainly is, and grows from four Scriptural facts. The Bible teaches that the Father is God (John 8:42). The Bible teaches that the Son is God ( Matt. 1:23; John 20:28;Heb. 1:8 and 10; Col. 2:9;Titus 2:13; 1Tim. 3:16; 1 John 5:20; etc.). The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3,4 and Luke 12:10-12). The Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force, but has attributes belonging to a person (John 15:26; John 16:7-14; Acts 8:29; Eph. 4:30; Rom. 8:11-27) Yet the Bible also teaches that there are not three gods, but only one God (Deut. 6:4; James 2:19). This teaching sets forth a monotheism, but one in which three distinct "persons," who all share the divine essence and attributes equally, are within the Godhead. Hence there is not one person, but three persons in the one spiritual substance of the Godhead.

So, our understanding of God is not what we learn from math, but what we believe has been revealed in Scripture. God is Triune: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The concept is not unreasonable, it is beyond reason.

In addition to the teachings of the Bible which demonstrate the Trinity, there are also analogous hints in nature. Consider the universe (the whole body of things and phenomena observed or postulated). Did you ever wonder why it isn't called a multiverse? The universe is "triune" in its essence. It always consists of space, time, and matter. It is not possible to have any two of those without the other. Take away one and you have no universe. Now even more interesting is that each one of these elements of the universe is triune. Space is made up of length, breadth, and height Take away any of these and you have no space. What about time? Is it not composed of the past, the present, and the future? You cannot have time without all three elements. And matter? Does it not consist of electrons, protons and neutrons? Even man is a composite of three in one (mind, body, and spirit).

Some people have a problem with three being one. Mathematically one plus one plus one equal three not one. But as far as math is concerned, it is worth noting that 1x1x1=1. What we need to remember, however, is that God is not a mathematical formula to be figured. The belief comes from what we find in the Bible. (Matt. 28:19)

• Mary
    Mary

I found the book "The Doctrine of the Trinity: Christianity's Self-Inflicted Wound" to be very valuable and very informative. I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in this subject: http://anthonybuzzard.home.mindspring.com/book.htm

• True North
    True North

I've read complaints from Trinitarians that others tend not to truly understand what Trinitarians believe about the nature of the Trinity. I'd not be surprised if that's true in my case. After all, as I said in my original post, my knowledge of the Trinity is pretty much limited to what the WT writers had to say about the subject and I suspect that they weren't really going out of their way to give a fair and balanced presentation of the Trinitarian view.

Nonetheless, it does seem to me that the Holy Spirit as a person gets far less attention than either the Father or the Son. As I observed above, the heated arguments between Trinitarians and JWs seemed mostly focused on whether Jesus was God and not whether the Holy Spirit was God as if the Holy Spirit was of less concern. Isn't the Holy Spirit as a person far less "real" to most Trinitarians than the other two persons of the Trinity? How often has the Holy Spirit been portrayed as a person in Christian religious art?

BTW, do Trinitarians worship the Holy Spirit as they do the Father and Jesus? Is so, do they do so with the same fervor?

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Hi True North!

You said:

I've read complaints from Trinitarians that others tend not to truly understand what Trinitarians believe about the nature of the Trinity. I'd not be surprised if that's true in my case. After all, as I said in my original post, my knowledge of the Trinity is pretty much limited to what the WT writers had to say about the subject and I suspect that they weren't really going out of their way to give a fair and balanced presentation of the Trinitarian view.
    Well, it is true that the Watchtower Society intentionally distorts what Trinitarians believe about the Trinity, therefore, all JWs are confused about what the Trinity actually is. Kenneson explained the Trinity correctly above. For much more detailed information and Scriptures about the Trinity, please go to: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/52140/755115/post.ashx#755115 Sometimes, the Watchtower Society will correctly state that the Trinity is "Three Persons as One God", but then, in the same area, they will use an argument like "If Jesus is God, then why did He pray to Himself?" (See the "Live Forever in Paradise on Earth" Book). That argument is completely bogus, because, as the Watchtower correctly pointed out, the Trinity is "Three Persons as One God", so Jesus was praying to His Father, a DISTINCT Person, who is also God. The Watchtower Society will also at times distort the Trinity as being "Three Gods as One Person", which no Trinitarian believes. True North said:

Nonetheless, it does seem to me that the Holy Spirit as a person gets far less attention than either the Father or the Son.
    That does seem to be true, and there are reasons for that, as explained in the following few Verses: John 16:7-15: Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they do not believe in Me; of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged. I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you. That was Jesus speaking about the Holy Spirit. Jesus said that the current work of the Holy Spirit is to glorify Jesus (not Himself) bear witness about Jesus (not Himself), and convict the world of sin because they do not believe in Jesus. Ever since the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, The Holy Spirit is in subjection to Jesus, just as Jesus is in subjection to The Father, and Jesus is the One who sends The Holy Spirit: Acts 2:32-33: This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses. Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear. Romans 8:9: But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 1st Peter 1:11: searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow. Galatians 4:6: And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying, "Abba, Father." Philippians 1:19: For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, ALL of the focus is on Jesus the Son of God! The Father and The Holy Spirit direct people toward JESUS: Hebrews 1:6: But when He [The Father] again brings the firstborn into the world, He says: "Let all the angels of God worship Him." Philippians 2: 5-11: Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. John 5:21-23: For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will. For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him. The Father glorifies The Son. The Son glorifies The Father. The Spirit glorifies The Father and The Son. True North said:
    As I observed above, the heated arguments between Trinitarians and JWs seemed mostly focused on whether Jesus was God and not whether the Holy Spirit was God as if the Holy Spirit was of less concern.
    That is because of the importance of Jesus and His Sacrifice and Resurrection and our salvation by Him. The Holy Spirit should not be of "less concern". He is God just as much as The Father or The Son. He simply has a different work He performs. The Father sent The Son to die for our sins. The Holy Spirit performed miracles through Jesus on earth. Jesus offered His Sacrifice TO The Father THROUGH The Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit convicts people of sin and leads them to Jesus for salvation. When a person repents and puts their faith in Jesus, The Holy Spirit then indwells (actually lives inside) of that person's heart, and causes that person to be "Born Again" and saved. True North said:
    Isn't the Holy Spirit as a person far less "real" to most Trinitarians than the other two persons of the Trinity? How often has the Holy Spirit been portrayed as a person in Christian religious art?
    I don't know how often the Spirit has been portrayed in art, but actually, the Holy Spirit should never, ever be portrayed in Christian art because of the following Scriptures: Exodus 20: 3-4: " You shall have no other gods before Me. You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth Isaiah 40:18: To whom then will you liken God? Or what likeness will you compare to Him? Now, The Holy Spirit is not any less real to me than The Father and The Son. However, after being taught by the Society for all my life that The Spirit was NOT a Person, when I first believed in the Trinity, it was hard for me to accept that the Spirit was a Person, but when I read the Bible, it became very clear and obvious that The Holy Spirit is God Almighty. True North said:
    BTW, do Trinitarians worship the Holy Spirit as they do the Father and Jesus? Is so, do they do so with the same fervor?
    Trinitarians should worship and honor The Father, The Son, and The Spirit equally. The Apostle Paul prayed to and honored the Holy Spirit as The Lord: 2nd Thessalonians 3:5: Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ. 2nd Corinthians 3:17: Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. Also, just to show how important The Holy Spirit is, look what Jesus Christ said: Mark 3:28-29: "Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit