A Thought About Assemblies

by metatron 10 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Since many of you already have read the annual commands from the Society about conduct at assemblies

( "don't cook food in your room, blah, blah, blah") , you might consider the meaning of their counsel about bringing

lunch.

I think they're scared.

They fear that, if enough Witnesses leave the assembly to go to Burger King, they might come under pressure to allow

'worldly' folks to open up food stands right in the assembly - just like any other event.

Of course, that might mean less $ money sent to the coffers in Brooklyn.

So, if you're going, by all means wear your badge and LEAVE the assembly for chow elsewhere!

-- and reserve whatever rooms you like, wherever you like, as your conscience dictates.

justa thought

metatron

• minimus
    minimus

Met, please explain what you're talking about....Thanks.

• MicStroz
    MicStroz

I remember when, I was a kid, you got looked down on for going out to get something to eat.

Times have changed........

Dam, that reminds me how much I like those burritos.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

The annual orders from headquarters on conduct, hotel rooms etc, use to really bug me, we lived in San Diego and attended the DC there no one was getting a hotel room and it seemed really stupid to go over those things and waste our time, its just another control issue for them. I use to roam constantly couldn't bear just sitting and listening to all of the b.s. coming from the speakers. In fact I would get so insensed that I would tell the sign carriers to shut up and don't bother me. I guess they didn't like my attitude, and walking must have been a crime, but "f" them.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I don't know why I just now saw this thread, metatron, but I did.

You and buffalosarefree gave me a good chuckle with your rebel talk. LOL !

I left to go to lunch about 50% of the time anyway. They probably didn't think much of me to begin with, I was never sure; but as long as I didn't have to worry about getting a parking place when I returned, I would leave. And the funny thing is, at the Long Beach Conventions, it practically looked like an exodus at the lunch break - a huge number of the friends left to go to their hotel rooms and/or out to lunch. Seemed like the norm.

Even tho we were sternly counseled not to...they didn't say much from the convention platform about it.

HAHAHAHA. Now Bakersfield, that was an entirely different story. Very, very controlled there. I don't know why the difference.

• metatron
    metatron

The Society is telling the friends to remain at the assembly site for lunch and not go out.

Why?

Likely because they are afraid that crowds of badge-wearing Witnesses who stoll out to Burger King for lunch

might put pressure on them when they arrange for rental of a facility. Imagine the stadium owner saying "Clearly your

people are going out to get lunch. Therefore, we require that , as a condition of rental, we will open and man the food concession

stands during your assembly." This may scare the Society because it could greatly reduce their contribution 'take'.

Actually, a few letters - together with photos of fast food lunching Witnesses - sent to the right people might

cause some real consternation for the Borg.

metatron ( hint, hint)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

It's amazing... why don't they just break down and SELL food at the conventions? I know, I know... they have a bizarre aversion to paying taxes... but it seems like they would be able to make a killing in profits by selling these food items.

It just doesn't make since to me... why the aversion to paying sales tax?

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    why the aversion to paying sales tax?

because they dont want to contribute to satan's coffers.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Hypothetical situation, but maybe not in some instances:

You are a divorced mother of 8 children. Your lousy, stinkin' no-good elder husband left you for pioneer Sister Tart-O-Rama, and doesn't pay that much child support because of his job as a window-washer. You can't get a job because you have no marketable skills since you got married at 15. He insisted (he was 18), because he was hot in the drawers and you were the only available sperm repository (besides his left land) in his Hall that didn't think he was a complete geek.

You don't have enough money to take 8 children out to lunch, yet you are not supposed to bring cantankerously large coolers to the assembly at the Society's behest. One that fits nicely under your seat, if you HAVE to, will work. However, one that fits under the seat will *not* hold enough lunch for 8 children, including four ravenously hungry teenaged boys, and you can't afford 5 or 6 small coolers that fit properly under the seats.

So.... you bring their lunches in a paper bag. In the hot sun. With mayonnaise and meat that spoils. In three hours' time, by the time lunch rolls around, bacteria has had time to malevolently breed and multiply in the warm gooey centers of the sandwiches. Yum!! They ralph it down.

Who's going to pay your emergency room bill, since you can't bring the brothers to court? ARGHHH!

What do they expect people to do, eat AIR?

CG

• Dawn
    Dawn

Isn't it nice to know we are free from that mind control? I can eat lunch wherever I want and noone (well...except maybe my checkbook) can tell me otherwise. And if I want to go back to my hotel room for any purpose (be it food, drink, sleep, or sex) I can go - I paid for frickin' room so who are they to tell me otherwise?

Oh yea - and best of all - with my freedom of choice I choose not to waste my vacation on a stupid numb session assembly The kids and I are going to Silverwood instead (yeee haaa!!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit