Anointing?

by link 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• link
    link

I have recently been trying to get my head round the subject of anointing. I have not had much success so was hoping that someone on the board might be able to help.

My understanding is that Gods early Kings had oil placed on their heads and received His Holy Spirit at the time of their appointment. The process of placing the oil on the head is properly referred to as anointing but when this practice ceased it was the receipt of the Holy Spirit that was known by this term. Today the term anointed is taken to mean "in possession of Gods Holy Spirit", and is not connected in any way to having an oily head.

The anointing and receipt of Holy Spirit did nothing to change or assist the ancient Kings in doing Gods will and what was right. Many of them "continued to do what was detestable in the sight of the true God".

When the early Christians received Holy Spirit it did enable them to carry out things that would normally be way beyond their natural ability. The were said "to be of the anointed".

When my wife goes on the Ministry she says she receives Gods Holy Spirit and is able to do things that she would not normally be able to do. But when I ask her if she is anointed she says no. When I ask the difference between receiving Holy Spirit and being anointed she tells me the anointed receive large amounts of Holy Spirit but just receiving Holy Spirit means a small portion.

What I don’t understand is that the Kings received large portions and were unable to get any benefit from it - the early Christians received large portions and were. My wife receives small portions and is, but she is not anointed. The governing Body of Jehovahs Witnesses claim to be of the anointed and act as Gods spokesperson in the time of the end – to ignore what they say is to ignore the word of God. Yet much of what they say and do is not in accordance with the Bible and this can be easily illustrated with numerous examples.

I can see that it is possible to compare them to the O.T. Kings but the whole idea seems so confusing. Can anyone properly explain Holy Spirit and show me where my logic is falling down?

link

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hi Link, I think your 'logic' is in excellent shape just the way it is. You are thinking straight. Your wife is 'brainwashed' with WT elite-ism (ie, only the 'anointed' are kings and priests with Jesus and go to heaven, etc.) whereas the rest of the Christian world believes every individual who is saved and born again receives HS and I guess it would follow, that they would then be considered 'anointed' as well.

This sounds like a good question for AGuest or gold_morning. ;-)

If they don't see this thread, why not try a google search for "Anointing - definition" and see what other commentaries on the subject there are on the net. I did that recently on a scripture I was wondering about which I had read 'one version of,' and wanted to see other thoughts on the matter and I was impressed with all the 'commentaries' that turned up on that one scripture. It was cool.

Bottom Line: You cannot 'make sense' out of JW reasoning because it doesn't make sense. So don't even twist your brain trying. Look for 'truth' elsewhere, imho. ;-)

Grits

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    When I ask the difference between receiving Holy Spirit and being anointed she tells me the anointed receive large amounts of Holy Spirit but just receiving Holy Spirit means a small portion.

Tell her this - "it is not by measure that he gives the Spirit"

So how come she recieves less ? Not enough street-time?

• link
    link

Thanks.

Grits, I did a search on Anointing and also on Holy Spirit – everyone seems to have different ideas so it seems that I am asking a question that has no definitive answer. It seems that you can use these terms to mean anything that you want so the Watchtower cannot be wrong on this.

You can actually adapt the usage of these words to suit your particular belief system.

link

• Carmel
    Carmel

The title "Christ" means the "annointed" so is your wife equating herself to "one like unto the Son of Man". Personally I find no justification in scripture to use the term for any person other than The Christ.

JMHO

carmel

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Tell her this - "it is not by measure that he gives the Spirit"

So how come she recieves less? Not enough street-time?

Great call, Paduan!

For the record, that's John 3:34 --

John 3 33 He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.
    34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.
  • XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

In the JW faith it just means going to heaven. She is trying to tell you she is not going to heaven. The governing body is not all anointed BTW. Holy spirit does what it wants. If you have a lot of holy spirit you just are in the right place and time. It comes and goes thats why people pray for it so often it is dynamic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit