Lockport Congregation Of Jehovahs Witnesses Inc.

by sf 11 Replies latest jw friends

• sf
    sf

In my searches I came across this congregation; listed as 'inc.':

http://rin.buffalo.edu/c_niag/comm/reli/agen-l/lock_lcojwi.html

Lockport Congregation Of Jehovahs Witnesses Inc.

Address352 Ontario Street
    Lockport NY 14094
    (Get Directions)
    Phone716 434-0766
    Description:

Lockport Congregation Of Jehovahs Witnesses Inc. is located in the City of Lockport, Niagara County .

So there are individual congs that are incorporated?

In Johnny Carson speak..."I did not know that".

What then, is the significance of an individual cong being incorporated?

sKally

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

I was told by a lawyer I did some bookkeeping for, that incorporation provides certain tax breaks as well as protects individuals from having their personal finances at stake if something goes wrong within the company that is incorporated.

One thing that comes to my mind is a lawsuit involving the congregation as a whole (like you may see with an abused person). If incorporated, the elders' personal finances cannot be touched, only the incorporated body's.

That's not for absolute sure, just some food for thought.

• Undecided
    Undecided

We incorperated our congregation back in the 60s on the advice of a JW lawyer who was handling the loan to build the KH. Don't remember why, I think to protect us from being responsible personally for the loan.

Ken P.

• donkey
    donkey

There are quite a few benefits to incorporating. If they establish a not for profit and set it up as a Limited Liability Corporation they are shielded for instance from lawsuits on a personal level.

If i was Brooklyn I would get my hotshot attorney's to draft a seriously bullet proof operating agreement and then have each congregation adopt it as they incorporate. It would cost less than a $1000 per congregation and provide big time protection against abuse suits and the like. I faced some lawsuits in the past and changed the whole incorporation mechanism I had for business and my investments because of these types of benefits. Since an individual congregation earns no money (or close to it) the tax ramifications are zero.

But then what does an ass know?

• sf
    sf

Thanks for the replies.

Money, money, money is the ROOT of ALL AXIS of Evil.

I got it now.

sKally

• Scully
    Scully

Donkey writes:

If i was Brooklyn I would get my hotshot attorney's to draft a seriously bullet proof operating agreement and then have each congregation adopt it as they incorporate. It would cost less than a $1000 per congregation and provide big time protection against abuse suits and the like.

Wow. They should look at franchising too. Jehovah's McWitnesses?. I like it.

Love, Scully

• sf
    sf

Ordering!!

One BigMacDaddy to go please!!

lolololol, sKally

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

Would you like fries with that?

• donkey
    donkey

lmao @ scully...i love it