Ozzie's Weekend Poll #86 (What dub habits is it hard to lose?)

by ozziepost 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

So how's this week been for you? Mrs Ozzie and I have had one of "those weeks", and I don't mean good! Still, things can only get better.............can't they?????

Your old Ozzie has become a bit of a crippled poster. As you may know, I've posted from the steaming jungles, I've posted from near the North Pole, but I gotta tell ya, this posting with one arm sure is hard!!

Still, the doctor was pleased with my bad arm today, so at least he's happy!

Now, where were we? Oh yes, the poll! I'm sorry that we were interrupted in our schedule, but 'normal service' (whatever that is) is being resumed. We have some very interesting topics to broach over the next few weekends, so I hope you can find time each weekend to stop and relax with a tasty beverage, a shiraz would be good, and reminisce about times in the borg.

So this weekend's topic is:

What dub habit is it hardest to lose?

1. Waking up early on Sunday morning to go witnessing.

2. Calling people "Brother ______" and "Sister _________".

3. Filling out a field service report.

4. Checking skirt lengths.

5. Not standing for the National Anthem.

6. Not voting.

7. Speaking God's 'name'.

8. Referring to "the Troof".

9. Wearing a tie.

10. Wearing a "Kingdom Smile".

11. Whistling "Kingdom Songs".

12. Having to explain.

13. Other (please detail)

So, we're looking forward to reading those replies.

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ozzie (of the one-armed bandit class)

• blondie
    blondie

1. Waking up early on Sunday morning to go witnessing. (never a problem, meetings were in the am, but when I was in a congregation that shared the KH, few if any showed up for Sunday witnessing. They were always harping on it at the service meeting, but none of the elders showed up either)

2. Calling people "Brother ______" and "Sister _________". This is more a problem of referring to them in the 3rd party, that is, when talking about them not to them. Some JWs didn't even know the first names of many at the KH since they always referred to them as brother or sister.

3. Filling out a field service report. Are you kidding?.

4. Checking skirt lengths. Are you kidding? Few wear short skirts today. They are so long that they trip over the hems. The hippie days are gone.

5. Not standing for the National Anthem. I haven't had to test this out yet. But I imagine it will feel funny the first time I stand.

6. Not voting. We've been discussing making this the year we start. I can say that my husband made me. It is important to realize that voting, especially in the US, is not just to vote for the president, but for senators/representatives, and local elections and referendums. It means educating yourself regarding the candidates and the issues. It can mean volunteering to help campaign for those issues and candidates through your money and your time.

7. Speaking God's 'name'. I have been trying to avoid saying "Jehovah" using Yahweh instead or just God. I'm improving.

8. Referring to "the Troof". This has been hard to weed out than #7. I try to just to say "the WTS."

9. Wearing a tie. Being a woman......

10. Wearing a "Kingdom Smile". No fake smiles for me.

11. Whistling "Kingdom Songs". I am a fairly musical person yet it has not been hard to discard the kingdom melodies. Only a handful, maybe 10 even had any musical value, melodically. As to the lyrics.....

12. Having to explain. Never splane. No pearls before swine.

There probably are some, but my tired brain can't think of any right now.

Blondie

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Good Morning, or should I say Good Evening Mr Ozziepost.

relax with a tasty beverage, a shiraz would be good, and reminisce about times in the borg.

Well at 7:00 am, I'll work with the coffee for a while

What dub habit / regulation is it hardest to lose?

1. Waking up early on Sunday morning to go witnessing.

It was Saturday mornings for me. As a kid I would have much preferred to stay home, and watch cartoons. I used to like it when I slept over at my cousin's place on Friday night, because his parents, while they were "religious" about going out in service, always were back at home by 12:00 and then we could watch the Monkees

2. Calling people "Brother ______" and "Sister _________".

First thing I dropped. Hated that.

3. Filling out a field service report.

Kind of like doing taxes only on a monthly basis

4. Checking skirt lengths.

I would have that habit even if I wasn't a dub

One of the first things I did ... and with pride

6. Not voting.

2nd thing I did ... and with pride

7. Speaking God's 'name'.

Oh I still do that, but not always in a "glorifying" manner

8. Referring to "the Troof".

OK That took a little work. A lot of ex-jws will still say ... "When I was in the truth" It makes me bristle, and I usually make a point of correcting them. Goes to show you how indoctrintated we were. I think that was the hardest habit to break.

9. Wearing a tie.

OK I correct myself. That was the first habit regulation I broke

10. Wearing a "Kingdom Smile".

I smile more than I ever did

11. Whistling "Kingdom Songs".

I can't whistle

12. Having to explain.

I just wouldn't tell people I was a jw unless absolutely neccessary

Easiest habit to break. Reviewing the morning text from the Yearbook. I detested that. Made me hate breakfast actually.

That was fun Mr. Ozziepost. Kind of felt like I was lying on a couch talking to my "doctor"

• Princess
    Princess

Hey Ozzie, glad the arm is better!

I have a hard time with the flag salute. Never was a problem until my kids started public school this year. I keep finding myself in my son's class during the flag salute and really don't know what to do. The last two times I've actually muttered the words under my breath but it feels so strange. Of course my seven year old son is belting it out!

I'll get over it.

The rest of the list I've dropped without looking back.

Hope you mend soon!

Rachel

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

For me it was being painfully "nice" to everyone.

To show how much I have progressed.... these fingers are for you! .!..<0_o> ..!.

• Mulan
    Mulan

That one took once or twice, but now it is no problem.

• Krazylady
    Krazylady

13 other

I had the hardest time getting over my fear of demons We were told to fear Jehovah, but taught to fear demons. Like any phobia, it wasn't easy to conquer. Having learned the difference between fear and fear (if you catch my drift) I now don't expect demons to lurk everywhere, and have discovered instead that serendipities are everywhere.

Glad you're feeling better,

Krazylady

• 2escaped lifers
    2escaped lifers

judging people based on their appearance. (attire)

example: guy walks into supermarket gets pasta, and fruit, wearing really pressed, stylish clothing and because of years of dubdum, you think "EEW, he must be gay, yuck." Isn't that hateful?

Maybe he's just really health conscious and is coming from work or something. But JDubs are extremely critical and that has been hard to stop. Especially if you were a sister !!

Steph

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Me too! I still don't know how to be nice to people!!!

Oh, and ta for the new fingers, elsewhere! They're just fine.

Cheers, Ozzie

• talesin
    talesin

12. Having to explain.

Still doing this, breaking this habit is a lot of work.

elsewhere, ain't that the truth!!! That was gonna be my 'other' answer. OMG, they might not like me!!! Must be a good little girl (or, in yr case, boy).

talesin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit