Were you ever a Conscientious Objector ?

by Nadsam 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Farkel, thanks for answering. I hope it didn't sound like I was implying that emotional pain wasn't bad enough on its own. I wouldn't wish the stress of a felony trial (let alone conviction) on any innocent person.

Regarding the pardon, I was under the impression that all Vietnam draft refusers had been pardoned (some by President Ford, the rest by President Carter), and that therefore they could properly answer 'no' when asked if they had ever been convicted of a felony. I could be wrong, however.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Thank you for sharing Farkel, Nasdam and others. I've always wondered about the CO status following a person through life. I know a number of people who served time in this country and others because of it. None of them will talk about it. Most of them hang on to the JW life doggedly because (I think) if they actually admit it's bullshit and leave, it will make all of that punishment unnecessary. Then they would really have to blame the society for yet one more thing bad thing in their lives, and the society is never wrong...

O

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Farkel:

By the way, what I went through was NOTHING compared with what Donkey went through. His ordeal was a horror story so great that I'm almost embarrassed to make a fuss over mine. Perhaps some day he might share it. It's not for the quesy or faint-hearted.

Nadsam, Farkel and Donkey, I'm very sad to hear what you guys went thru...for...? I cannot fathom the the emotional and physical pain y'all have gone thru for the WT...then to have the same Org. (as Farkel so eloquently put it...) issuing edicts from "their Ivory Towers," completely change their minds and say, "New Light!" This is betrayal...of the highest order.

Nadsam, Thanks for starting this thread. I hope everyone who was sentenced and the rest, like me, who had taken the vow to go the distance and were saved "by the luck of the draw" in the draft lottery...will write and tell their stories.

I'd like to hear any one who had this happen to them in WW 2, Korea and Vietnam, too. Or stories of others...

It seems to me this type of betrayal, along with the Organ Transplants, "New Light" and the Blood Fractions, "New Light" could be a very central and basic way to talk to active JW's -- especially those whom these teachings and betrayals have affected.

This is real life stuff...not scriptural things that can be 'explained' and 'interpreted' away by the Governing Body, safely tucked away in their "Ivory Towers."

They don't have to take any of the chances the rest of of do, they can just 'change the rules' to get their collective asses 'out of the fire.'

• Larry
    Larry

Nadsam - This is a powerful subject, in fact, I think this subject should be discussed regularly. Thanks for posting it. I wasn't a Conscientious Objector, but it was a serious concern of mine when the BORG changed it's policy. Here's what I wrote in 2001:

That same principal applies to another one of my concerns - Something called, Non-Combatant Military Service (Alternative Civilian Service.) For over fifty years the Organization was against serving in the military in any capacity. Some countries offered a alternative service such as community work, working in hospitals, administrative duties, etc. in exchange for military combat service. However, the Organization turned it down, resulting in thousands of young people in other countries (mostly men) serving prison time - some people serving life sentences for their loyalty to the Organization. Then suddenly, in 1996 the Organization changed it policy - Now it is acceptable for JW's to perform alternative civilian service instead of going to prison. One would think that an acknowledgment of error, restitution or a simply apology was warranted, but none was given. Just imagine how those victims felt when the policy was reversed and they still had to serve their prison time - unfortunately, in some countries these men are still in prison. When I first heard of this I asked a few JW about it and it didn't bother them - They considered it ?New Light' (meaning new information distributed from God at the proper time) and I said "people's lives were involved" but it didn't seem to register.

Another point you bring up in your post is the fact that many Jdubs left the BORG even after serving prison time for the BORG. I recall conducting the Watchtower study years ago and the article highlighted that 'it was a shame that some were faithful to the BORG, enduring persecution camps, imprisonment, etc. only to have fallen pray to Satan when they were release.' Your post was the first explanation I heard as to why people would leave the BORG after putting their life on the line - thanks so much for that insight! That's the beauty of this form - You get to hear the other side of the story.

Thanks again for the insight, and looking forward to more of you experiences.

Peace - LL

• Nadsam
    Nadsam

Thanks Larry.

Your support is very encouraging and its exactly that kind of support that this forum provides.

Regards

Nadsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit