Was the US intended to be a "Christian nation"?

by logansrun 35 Replies latest jw friends

• FredFlash
    FredFlash

Dear logansrun: You have falsely claimed that, at the founding of our republic, eleven of the original thirteen states had religious tests for public office. As a practical matter, no state had a religious test in the sense that anyone was actually excluded. Nine of the states had abolished their religious test by the time the Bill of Rights was a year old. . In N. H., Conn., and Mass., the religious test favored Christians. However, there were no Jews or other non-Christian religions in those three States at the time of the founding, so no one was actually excluded. The religious test in North Carolina that excluded infidels was not enforced. Infidles are known to have held state office.

• greendawn
    greendawn

A first they tried hard to be totally moral in the Biblical sense but as always happens things got lax and the lower nature of man took over. An angelic society has never existed on earth for Christians,Jews, Moslems or Hindus.

• FredFlash
    FredFlash

Dear Emperor Class: Please point out the sections in our nation's fundamental documents, the U. S. Constitution of 1787 and the Bill of Rights, endorse and promote religion. FHS

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Great post. wow.wow.wow.

I actually feel patriotic now but I still love England.

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

Carmel,

....with considerable influence by American Indian ideas. The latter is conveniently left out by most fundamentalists.

Would you supply some examples to spport your statement?

Please and thank you.

JWR

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Where's Bradley hiding, these days? I miss my wee brother

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit