ARCHECTITURE OF KINGDOM HALLS

by badboy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

I have heard that aKH on the Isle of PORTLAND consisted of stone.

Another KH,so I understand looks like a Cathedral.

What style and looks did U know a KH had?

• dustyb
    dustyb

well the architecture at one that i went to was a trailer, about 90' long and 14' wide.....wait, thats a house ;)

• Gadget
    Gadget

The hall my parents attend is a converted factory on an industrial estate, and it looks like a factory. Tha hall I used to attend now has a quickbuild that looks like every other hall but for years had a building that used to be a church, very grand looking. And the hall in Berwick has turrets on the top, and is a dead ringer for the watchtower symbol.

• blondie
    blondie

I saw one in Canada (BC or Alberta) that looked like a log cabin.

Blondie

• Smyler
    Smyler

Some interesting KHs I found with a quick GIS.

I saw one in Canada (BC or Alberta) that looked like a log cabin.

This one?

http://www.mackbc.com/autumnlodge/images/46-Kingdom-Hall.jpg

• blondie
    blondie

Looks like it, Smyler.

Yes, they do buy old churches. I went to one that still had the choir section behind the podium and the baptismal pool in front (old Baptist church). They do take down the crosses but leaving up the steeple is interesting.

Steeples are un-Christian per the 7/22/64 Awake page 11 (not on WT-CD). They are considered phallic sex symbols.

Blondie

• Smyler
    Smyler

Not too long ago, they had a "Questions from Readers" about buying churches for Kingdom Halls. Probably 2000 or so. They said it was ok for them to buy them.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

The Kingdom Hall closest to me is a converted ranch house.

Devon

• franklin J
    franklin J

To my knowledge, there is no Building Typology ( architects tallk for building style) developed by the WTS. They would NEVER have a steeple; for obvious reasons. It is; after all; just a meeting hall.

Depending on where they are built; there may be specific zoning restrictions in the building code for construction materials; height; setback from road; etc. In some sensitive Historical communities they may even dictate style of Architecture and materials to be used; to be consistent with surrounding historical community.

They would typically use whatever building materials are available regionally ;common and reasonable priced in whatever part of the world they were built.

I've designed skyscrapers, million dollar marble bathrooms----but never a KH. And I never will.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

franklin j said:

They would typically use whatever building materials are available regionally ;common and reasonable priced in whatever part of the world they were built.

Obviously windows seem to be in short supply in practically all parts of the world !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit