Don't buy a LitterMaid!!

by asleif_dufansdottir 19 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

This method may work better, although I had only one friend who tried it ...

http://www.karawynn.net/mishacat/toilet.html

My cat was pretty old when I found out about this, so I didn't try it. When I get another kitty, though, we'll give it a try ...

talesin

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yeah... I tried that too...

You name it, I probably tried it. I even built a box that had pieces that could be removed little by little.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Considering that my cat uses the toilet to drink from (despite our protests) I really doubt he would ever learn to use it for his litter box.

My girlfriend has the automatic box and seems to like it. I have one that might use it but there is no way my scardey cat would try it.

We've tried the silicone beads - nope

and several brands of clumping litter. They only like the brand we get at Costco.

I have one cat who likes to balance on the corner of the box (and tipping it over if there isn't enough litter to hold the thing down)

and we have one cat (the toilet drinker) who refuses to crouch so aims straight back - over the top of the box

so we tried a box with a cover and he would walk in and not turn around - just aimed out the door onto the floor

so we got one with a door and he aimed for the door and cleaned the door off on his fur as he came out

groan (hubby wants more cats - I never want to go through this again)

so now we have one of those 50 gallon bins and fill the bottom with enough litter that the acrobat can do his balnacing act on the corner without tipping it and the other one hits the walls with his rear-end aim before he jumps out.

I love them but their toilet behaviors are driving me crazy

and to be honest I doubt the would use two litters. The door one has been sitting in the basement for a year and neither will use it - not even one tiny pawprint

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    so we tried a box with a cover and he would walk in and not turn around - just aimed out the door onto the floor

ROTFLMAO

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

gotcha elsewhere

stupid cats

just told him you were laughin at him and he turn his nose and walked away

I swear sometimes I think they understand

• IronGland
    IronGland

asleif_dufansdottir is incorrect in my opinion. The automatic litter box works great. In my experience, the key is to buy a large grain clumping litter. The machine does not work well with clumping litter that is too fine. He is probably cheap and buys the crappy (lol) grocery store brand.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir is incorrect in my opinion. The automatic litter box works great. In my experience, the key is to buy a large grain clumping litter. The machine does not work well with clumping litter that is too fine. He is probably cheap and buys the crappy (lol) grocery store brand.

Yeah, I bought a cat box that was over $100 and was "too cheap" to buy the good litter? Nope. I bought the Littermaid brand. According to what I've read and the people I've talked to, the ones who really love their Littermaid either have one of the older types (apparently better quality), or have small cats. I read on the website of a different brand of automatic litter box, that they don't recommend their box for cats with diabetes, because of the large volume of urine produced by diabetic cats. Large cats, or diabetic cats, are more likely to pee enough to 'hit bottom' on the box and make the clumping litter stick to the bottom, which means you have to scoop manually. Those who have been lucky enough to get a Littermaid that works right really like them, and they're lucky...but from what I've seen (I used to show cats and have friends who foster kittens for humane societies all over the country, so I know lots of cat people), they are in the minority. Whoever said that about the wood litter - I've used Feline Pine and Aspen Supreme (the aspen one doesn't track as bad) for years and really liked it, just thought this would be even easier. I've gone back to that. BTW, I'm female, Irongland...

• Gollum
    Gollum

I have to admit, I have one of these and like it.

It does have a lot of faults, in my opinion mostly centered around the really weak motor it has. I can never fill it up to the full level or it stalls out. Still, it's better than the alternative

I'm not sure if the cats like it, but they put up with it. They probably figure a lameass robot still does a better job than dad ever did.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    the really weak motor

That was one of my main complaints with mine... and the way the litter would stick to the bottom. I literally had to keep a small flat piece of wood around to scrape it out about once a week.

Take a look at the product I mentioned before... the "roll over" litter box. Once a day (in the morning) I just roll the thing over and it dumps all of the waste into a collection bin... anything that is sticking to the bottom just falls down into the collection bin while the box is rolled over. I just give it a few knocks and everything falls free.

In my opinion it is much more clean and easy to use than the litter maid... it's also a lot cheaper. I paid about $20 for mine.

Check it out at: http://www.omegapaw.com/Rollaway.html

There is also a "robotic" litterbox that works on the same principle as the Rollaway, only it costs $329

http://www.litter-robot.com/detail.aspx?ID=3

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

My girlfriend has a littermaid and it works great. Different peoplle have different experiences. Myself I am going to try Citramax Pop'N Toss. It is a cardboard disposable litterbox. If it works then I will stick with it. Http://www.citramax.com Now why am I doin that when I just said my girlfriends littermaid works great? Because it costs about the same as weekly litter would cost me. And it is a completely no-touch system, and fully biodegradable. And it is certified safe for pregnant women. Plus it smells good. Now if it doesnt work well then I wont use it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit