RUN/WALK w/SILENTLAMBS to "STOP THE SILENCE"" 4/17/04-Wash, DC

by abbagail 0 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hi Folks, This news is so exciting!

Back on 2/20/04 I learned of this 'race' at an excellent abuse-info site (Leadership Council.org) so I posted about it in a thread here http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/67029/1.ashx and also forwarded the info to Silentlambs. (BTW, I tried to merely update/rename that prior thread but I guess too much time has passed because it wouldn't finalize the process).

Anyway, today I see this email from Silentlambs that he has evidently hooked up with these "STOP THE SILENCE'folks who are holding the 10k/5k race in Washington, DC on 4/17/04! This is great news! So if some are too far or can't make Nashville, maybe some can show up in DC! (My sis lives up there near DC, if only my car wasn't dead! :-( )

Below is the info from Silentlambs:

-------------

First Annual National Race to Stop the Silence

We are happy to announce a coordinated event to help support abuse survivors and raise abuse awareness. April is child abuse awareness month and we wish to encourage all to get the word out on the importance of increasing abuse awareness. Silentlambs will participate in the 5k walk in Washington DC on April 17, 2004 . We have hotel arrangements for those that would like to stay overnight. The hotel is located near where the march [race] will start and the rates are $75 per night plus tax. If you are familiar with DC hotel rates this is an excellent rate. To reserve a room call and ask for the Stop the Silence race room rate. We will meet at the hotel and then go to the race from there.

The registration fee is $25 per person and you register off their website. You can review the material below for further details. We hope you can make it; we plan to have the silentlambs 10-ft banner and silentlambs t-shirts for all that attend. If you plan to attend please notify us so that we can make sure we all walk together for silentlambs. You can either email us at [email protected] or call at 270-527-5350 to confirm your attendance. There will be national media from across the country and thousands that are participating in this event. If you want to make a statement about child abuse and stand with abuse survivors, this will be a wonderful event to support. The walk starts right near Freedom Plaza , which is right off of Pennsylvania Ave and 13th St, NW . Closest Metros are Metro Center and Federal Triangle. Registration and check-in starts as 7:30am and the race starts at 9am. There will also be a separate kids race later for those that wish to register and participate. The 10k will be the race; the 5k is more of a walk and that is what silentlambs plans to participate in. [5k = 3.11 miles/Grits]

Please review the website and information below and then if you have any questions let us know.

silentlambs

Go to website at this link..

Stop the Silence :: Stop Child Sexual Abuse http://www.stopcsa.com/

Child sexual abuse is a silent epidemic throughout the United States and the world, creating social havoc - for the children, adult survivors, and society. It can be prevented and it can be treated, but a conscious and sustained effort is both missing and essential.

We are a group of individuals, companies, and community-based organizations in various states are raising awareness and funds to support programming with the Race to Stop the Silence.

First Annual National Race to Stop the Silence
    10K, 5K Fun Run/Walk & Kids Fun Run

STOP CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE!
    Saturday, April 17, 2004 " 9:00 am
    @ Freedom Plaza
    13th & Pennsylvania Avenue, NW " Washington, DC

Register online at www.stopcsa.org

Awards and random prizes
    Fast course through downtown Washington, DC
    T-shirts for all registrants

Registration Fees:
    10K & 5K: $20; $25 after March 15; $30 on race day
    $5 for kids 12 & under in the 10K, 5K, or kids fun run
    All proceeds will go to local programs to help stop child sexual abuse.
    Child sexual abuse is a silent epidemic, for children, adult survivors,
    and society. There is hardly a greater crime against children.
    CSA takes away their innocence and love of life and
    puts them in constant danger, often in places where they should feel
    most secure. But it can be prevented and treated -- with your help.

Race Director: Pamela Pine, Ph.D., MPH, CHES

Race host: Futures Institute for Sustainable Development

Race Sponsors
    Headwaters Productions
    Genesis Aviation, Inc.
    r squared design and advertising, inc.
    The Meyer Group
    Designs by Lucinda
    Survivors Healing Center
    Yes ICAN - International Child Abuse Network
    Ms. Fawn Germer, Journalist, Bestselling Author
    Capital Running Company

For more information, see the official race Web site at
    http://www.stopcsa.org
    -------------------------------

Reply-To: [email protected]
    Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:27:52 -0600 (CST)
    Subject: Silentlambs in Washington DC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit