New Book: The Meaning of Wife

by Scully 10 Replies latest social relationships

• Scully
    Scully

I saw this book yesterday at Costco and I'm watching a discussion of it on a talk show right now. Has anyone read it? Any thoughts? BTW, I love the cover graphic. Very provocative.

The Meaning of Wife

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Got any excerpts from it, Scully? Might be interesting.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I know some guys that should read, The Meaning of Husband.

• Scully
    Scully

Here's the publishers comments from www.chapters.ca

From the Publisher

There is a wife crisis in North America, a brewing storm of conflicting forces swirling around what it means to be a wife at the beginning of the 21st century. The word ?wife,? so fraught with ambiguity that it has become a female litmus test, elicits from women emotions ranging from longing to antipathy, anxiety to derision. The wife crisis is at the heart of journalist Anne Kingston?s often surprising and bound to be controversial new book, The Meaning of Wife.

Cannily juxtaposing the Korean wife schools currently operated by the USO in Seoul with the recent marriage of feminist icon Gloria Steinem, Kingston delves into the complex, troubling, and sometimes humorous contradictions, illusions and realities of contemporary wifehood. She looks at ?wife backlash,? and the new wave of neo-traditionalism that urges women to marry before their ?best-before? date expires.

She muses on the fact that Oprah Winfrey and Martha Stewart, two of the world?s wealthiest and most influential women and, interestingly, non-wives, are beloved by their target audience of wives. She investigates the massive bridal industry, noting the elevation of the bride to a consumer icon?a brilliant marketing twist on the historical role of the bride as an object to be consumed. Exploring the role of the sexualized wife, she talks to Lou Paget, a.k.a. the ?Martha Stewart of sex tips.? And, in a fascinating discourse on the economic value of being a wife, Kingston thoughtfully weighs the value of a virgin bride and the financial repercussions of divorce. Along the way, she talks to experts and ordinary wives, famous and infamous wives, second wives and trophy wives. The result is an entertaining mix of social, sexual, historical and economic commentary, a book that will become one of the most talked about of the season.

I'm watching the interview with Anne Kingston on Vicki Gabareau's show. Right now they are talking about the social role and expectations that were imposed on Princess Di (had to be approved by the monarchy and be a virgin etc) and her transition over the years. And now juxtaposes the image of Camilla Parker-Bowles and her relationship with Prince Charles.

They've already talked about how women over the centuries started out as being "property" being exchanged for goods and services and alliances between men, and the social evolution of women and marriage.

I think I'll go and buy it next time I'm at Costco.

• Scully
    Scully

I also watched Mona Lisa Smile last night and was amazed at the change in attitude toward a woman's role and place in society over the last 50 years. It really wasn't that long ago that a woman's identity was completely enmeshed with her being married and her husband's success.

• Valis
    Valis

Thought maybe you also might like this new book.. AND OK ALREADY>>>SORRY! DIDN"T MEAN TO KILL Scull's thread..

The Atlantic Monthly | March 2004

Books & Critics
    Books

How Serfdom Saved
    the Women's Movement
    Dispatches from the nanny wars by Caitlin Flanagan

How Serfdom Saved the Women's Movement
    Because of "the unmade beds, the children with their endless questions, the tendency of a good fight over housework to stop the talking and the kissing," the author writes, "one of the most profound cultural revolutions in American history came perilously close to running aground." But then the forces of global capitalism solved the problem: America's newly liberated class of educated professional women found itself presented with an army of poor, easily exploited women from other countries who could take care of their children and clean their houses
    by Caitlin Flanagan

The Mother's Dilemma: An Interview With Caitlin Flanagan
    Caitlin Flanagan on parenting, home life, and the morally troubling nature of the mother-nanny relationship [Web only]

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Jeez, Valis...people complain about the length of MY posts... :)

• Valis
    Valis

*LOL* ps sorry....I just thought it rather relevant to the topic..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Satanus
    Satanus

Valis

Now you killed it, you hair balled hemp head

SS

• codeblue
    codeblue

Very interesting Scully...next time I go to Costco, I will be sure to look for the book.

(btw...you bought it???)....

Codeblue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit