Recent mentions of "This Generation"

by Nosferatu 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

All the evidence indicates that we now live among that wicked generation

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... bla, bla, bla.... whatever..... first the end BEGAN in 1884... then it was bumped up to 1914 when 1914 did not bring on the END.

*** The Watchtower Reprints, October 1890, p. 1243 ***
    The Millennium of peace and blessing would be introduced by forty years of trouble, beginning slightly in 1874 and increasing until social chaos should prevail in 1914?
    "In view of this strong Bible evidence concerning the Times of the Gentiles, we consider it an established truth that the final end of the kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the Kingdom of God, will be accomplished at the end of A. D. 1914." (The Time Is At Hand; 1889; 1908 ed.; p. 99)
    *** The Watchtower Reprints, January 15, 1892, p. 1355 ***
    The date of the close of that ?battle? is definitely marked in Scripture as October, 1914. It is already in progress, its beginning dating from October, 1874.
  • new light
    new light
    Most Jw's haven't even noticed the change and those that have chalk it up to Jehovah's ever moving organization and new light.

I thank you.

But seriously, those words as spoken by Jesus were fulfilled within 40 years (the 70 A.D. destruction of Jerusalem) How the Writing Committee can sleep at night is beyond me. They probably distill their own "sleeping aid" up at the ol' farm.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The clear intent of the writer was to instill false hope that the return of the mythic glory of Israel under the leadership of the apocalyptic Messiah in the lifetime of those reading this book. Wtitten after the Roman attacks of 66-70 and likely (IMO) after the BarKochba revolt (135CE) the writer believed the anticipated culmination of all the Jewish apocalyptic literature of that time was due. He was wrong. The defeat of the Jews was just another page in the book of history. There is no way to honestly read the verses in context and come away believing that the writer intended it to be interpreted as something to occur 2000 years later. Move on.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

the zealous 7th day adventists were not wrong, Jesus did actually return in 1844, I mean 1874, I mean 1914...but invisibily, and while this was not decerned by them, many of them have come to understand it..... so too the valiant Jehovah's witnesses were not mistaken, the tribulation and armeggedon did come, in 1975, but it too was invisible.

and those who survived through this spiritual war were rewarded with significant strengthening of their spiritual armor...and now that the 1000 years has spritually begun, we must remain faithful so as to pass that final test, 1000 years from now.

so no more worries about nearness of dates.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit