The Cross

by moses 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I wonder if they would object to Jehovah's Witnesses wearing an emblem in the form of a watchtower?

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I have no idea what happen to my post but I will say it again.

Yes I wear a crucifix that my husband gave me as a gift, it is a Greek Orthodox one.

I wear it all the time and am showing to people that I believe in Christ. Its like having a locket of your child or loved one in the locket around your neck. I don't believe for one minute that it is wrong to carry a cross around your neck. I am not a morbid person and some people think it is morbid to wear a cross. I find it an expression of love for Jesus.

the other day I had some dealings with a jw, in regard to purchasing her car as it has a wheelchair lift attached to the trunk. I put my cross under my t shirt as I didn't want her to go and tell my mother I was an apostate. I will tell my mother some day, anyway she probably knows that already. She knows when I do things I do it gung ho.

Orangefatcat.

• moses
    moses

Yes orangefatcat my mom is the same way it would break her heart to know that I wear a cross but like you said it just shows our love for jesus it is a shame that the wts has so many laws for how to worship God.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I've thought about buying/wearing one; not for religious reasons, but because there has always been something appealing to me of that symbol--it's way older than Chrisitanity; it has a unique mix of pagan, Christianity, and other ritualistic symbols. I think it's considered a pretty universal symbol/archetype.

I still remember one of the flimsiest reasons dubs offer for probiting wearing a cross; that technically Jesus DIDN'T die on a cross, but one a stake. Plus, they say, why would you want to wear the symbol of something a loved on died on--you wouldn't wear the symbol of a gun, for example, if your father was killed by a gunman. (Again, totally missing the point).

On a related note (and in view of the blockbuster movie, The Passion), does anyone have any factual data about whether Jesus died on a cross or on the JW's stake. As a JW, I never really saw the importance of the distinction, and just remember their convulted references that supposedly disproved that he died on a cross. Anyone with info and what what the historical practice of impalement in this manner at that time???

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

When i was young i lived in the (little Italy) section of vancouver

of course everyone was Italian and everyone wore crosses

my neighbour had cross earings and I really wanted to fit in so I bought some clip on ones

I have wore a cross off and on since then

and no i dont feel guilty bout it

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

The reason I don't wear a cross is not because of any residual fears or guilt. It is simply because I think it odd to wear something around my neck that symbolizes the "torture and death" of a meek and humble person. I wouldn't wear a gun around my neck to honor my husband's suicide, nor a wrecked car to honor an accidental death. That's just me.

Christianity has adopted the cross as a symbol of their "faith", and they have a right to do so. I would not wear it because it puts me in company with religion and that's not where I'm at in my belief system.

/<

• Hapgood
    Hapgood

I have a beautiful silver Celtic knot cross that's from Ireland. I bought it a couple of years ago, for some reason I just had to have it. I have never worn it because my husband is still a jw. Maybe one day I'll be able to wear it.

Hapgood

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I wear a Celtic Cross, which was properly blessed by a priest.

I should add that the existing archeological evidence indicates that Jesus died on a Cross and not an upright stake as portrayed in JW publications.

• talesin
    talesin

I have an alabaster ankh (earlier cross symbol) pendant that I wear sometimes.

Have done a few consignment pieces for folks - carved crosses out of soapstone or alabaster. One was a pin to wear on the lapel (a celtic design) in pale green soapstone. Another was a large brown/gold soapstone bevelled cross (about 8" high x 4" wide) mounted on a black velvet cloth, framed for the wall. It turned out really nice. The woman who ordered it as a gift for her sister, decided to keep it for herself when she saw it and ordered a second one to give to her sister NEXT Christmas.

talesin

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I dont wear one cause I never wore one as a J Dub born and raised, so why should I start now. But, if the Madonna look was in now then I would where one just to look cool, that or a big clock like Flavor Flav!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit