Do you really know what you believe?

by Leolaia 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Do you really know what you believe?

Answer: YES!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I shoul have added that this knowlede of the biology of consciousness and perception can appear a detriment but the reality is that whether or not we know why something feels good or bad does not change the fact that it feels good or bad. Since we spend much less time brooding about the happiness and joy that results from having our reward centers tickled than we spend on the negative feelings of despair, and guilt, understanding the processes involved on average helps more than it hurts. It provides perspective for us in dealing with the worst of feelings. Seeing the "enemy" as a few micrograms of chemicals, makes otherwise intolerable grief and pain more managable for many. Understanding that our most personal lives such as sexuality are likewise a complex of chemical and receptor has helped my own marriage. We become free agents capable of defying the instincts that governed our ancestors, all we need is to recognize that it is possible and desire to do so.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I read a psychology article once that likened consciousness with a computer's operating system. It's a simulation of what goes on inside the computer that has the veneer of reality but reveals none of the complex processes involved.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Epistemology.

Kant, Wittgenstein, Hume...so many.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    The Society demands so much on the flock to accept their contradictory and incoherent doctrine unquestionably, and most consciously put on a veneer of doctrinal unity, but what is really going on in all those little minds? I'm sure many have no clue what certain obscure, arbitrary doctrines are supposed to be,

I get from this a fact that I have encountered whenever I say to family dubs that I cannot stomach the doctrine of Armageddon slaughtering the non beleivers. They deny deeply that the WT does not teach that.......... "Jehovah is the future judge" etc .. They pick up the contradictory bits of fuzzy WT articles and beleive what they think, rather than what is written in ink. Of course they go out to make disciples but cannot stomach the slaughter either, so they blind themselves to it.

Is that what you meen?

• Valis
    Valis

I think so...I know I don't need religion and much prefer the spirituality of a day's flyfishing to anything else..

I believe most of the important advances in things like metaphysics or things we can't see will only happen when we get off this planet and are not inclined to be so ego/terracentric.

I believe I will be long dead by the time that happens.

The rest is all bird food...or well that and at least a small set of ethics thrown in there..*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Hyghlandyr
  • eyeslice
    eyeslice

Leolaia,

A thought provoking topic. I have met many whose "simple faith" must be by nature quite complex underneath.

eyeslice

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thanks Hyghlandyr. Actually my question was about the article quoted by Leolaia, but I expressed it wrongly...

• Carmel
    Carmel

Religious concepts do not change people's moral intuitions but frame these intuitions in terms that make them easier to think about.

How do I get rid of this dam BLUE? Anyway,,, I guess I have to disagree with the author. Although he makes a good case for people tending to personifiy a god or gods, angels, etc, as absent moral side posts, not all religion adumbrates such ideas. It is certainly true of the past and of most religions. Even those, would fall under the category of being "currupted" in the sense that myth makers ignor the teachings of the founder/prophet of there particular religion and introduce weird ideas that the author justifiably recounts. So it is true to that degree just as it is true that most followers of religions ignore the directives of their given faiths if it is uncomfortable and practice that which is easy.

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit