Dish Network v. Direct TV

by CountryGuy 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Thanks for your input guys! I appreciate it. It sounds as if they are pretty much the same. I guess now it all boils down to who's going to give me the best deal on installation and extras like multiple rooms and a DVR.

CountryGuy

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

DON"T DO IT!!!! EchoStar (Dish TV) is awful. You have to pay extra for local channels. You have to get two dishes just for local and national channels. The interactive software that comes loaded on the terminal is terrible. The guide function is super slow and sometimes takes entire minutes to download. Usually you can't check what's on even more than two hours in advance.

I have three boxes (terminals) in my house and every single one of them has malfunctioned and needed to be replaced, in less than one year!

Plus we just lost MTV, Nick, Comedy Central and a bunch of other channels for days because of some contractual disagreement between DISH and Viacom. I've had Dish for almost a year now and I'm opting out of it as soon as my one-year contract is up. Do yourself a huge favor and don't get Dish TV as it totally stinks.

I'd rate it at one star out of five.

• Sassy
    Sassy

My questions is.. is anyone using a dish for their internet connection??

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Sassy a coworker of mine (we're both network engineers) lives out out in the Middle of Nowhere, Louisianna, and has to use DirecTV for his broadband on a two way connection. He get's pretty good speed off of it (I think he reported downloads of 300kbs or so, but don't quote me. I don't know what the uploads were, but it really doesn't matter). I had DirecTV as my DSL provider of all things for awhile, but they sucked. Terrible downtimes, terrible tech support. I think they are out of the DSL business now.

• Atilla
    Atilla

I have Dish network and was actually happy that they took on Viacom because the reason I chose Dish in the first place was price, cheaper than Direct TV and way cheaper than Cable. Although Direct TV has a real TIVO where as Dish just has a quasi-like home made TIVO system. I'm actually thinking about cancelling all my TV services because most of the channels suck and I don't have the time to waste. I only really like the news channels and the History channel, otherwise forget about it. I may just get XM radio for $10 bucks a month, lots of music and news and absolutely no censorship.

I think I will just stick with my Verizon DSL, which just about as fast as cable now, and for my applications, plenty fast enough. Plus, once again my DSL bill is only like $30 a month when compared to $40 or $50 with Comcast. I did an independent test and my speed is right around 1.25 KPS or whatever, not bad for DSL. I'm stating to sound to nerdy-must stop.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit