Woman charged with murder after refusing C-section

by sunshineToo 42 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34

Just a couple of things before I go be quiet. It seems there are, as usual, extenuating circumstances which, of course, will be brought out in court (what a good system overall, despite its flaws!).

Critics of the charges say the case could affect abortion rights and open the door to the prosecution of mothers who smoke, fail to follow their obstetrician's diet advice or take some other action that endangers a fetus.

"I see this as part of an overall focus of a certain movement on fetal rights and an effort to elevate fetal rights above the rights of a woman," said said Kim Gandy, president of the National Organization for Women and a former prosecutor. http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=39&sid=80789

Prosecutors say 28-year-old Melissa Ann Rowland murdered her stillborn baby. She rejected the advice of doctors at three hospitals to get a c-section to save the child. Rowland told KSL Radio she has had two other children by c-section and was not told she needed the procedure in this case.

Melissa Rowland "I really don't know what I could have done to save him. I wish I knew now, I wish I knew."

Rowland reportedly told her lawyer she was committed to a mental hospital when she was 12, hospitalized again at least one other time, and diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

Vicki Cottrell, NAMI Utah: ?Somebody lost track of a very vulnerable and ill individual."

Vicki Cottrell of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill doesn't know Rowland's background, but her story fits a pattern. Cottrell says too many of the mentally ill make headlines in crisis.

Vicki Cottrell, NAMI Utah: ?We can?t afford to treat them up front, but we can afford to put them in jail, to charge them with murder, and house them at the prison.?

Doctor Jed Ericksen of Valley Mental Health says early intervention with a disorder is critical, but it doesn't always happen until there's a crisis.

Dr. Jed Ericksen, Valley Mental Health: ?The criminal justice system becomes the warehouse for many mentally ill people across the country.?

Rowland was a twin born to a mentally retarded mother. She was placed in foster care almost immediately and adopted before her first birthday.

Her twin brother had serious medical problems and died when he was 7. Rowland was committed to a Pennsylvania mental hospital when she was 12, and diagnosed with "oppositional defiant disorder", a condition defined by hostile and uncooperative behavior.

Rowlands attorney says she was hospitalized in a mental facility at least one other time, and told him she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. The defense attorney is waiting for records to confirm that

Before the murder charge, Rowland was in jail for endangerment of the twin girl who was born alive. That charge is based on allegations that Rowland tested positive for alcohol and cocaine, immedately after the birth. http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=80767

1. The baby did not die during birth because of her refusal, but because she "delayed" having the operation (what I mean is that she refused it before the due date--and that seems significant to me).
    2. The woman has (probably) serious mental problems;
    3. she denies that the reason was vanity, but that she didn't want to be cut open;
    4. she used drugs (which may have been due to her mental illness);
    5. The headlines that she refused the c-section because of vanity don't add up because of her prior two c-sections.

Just some pertinent points and again, I'm not arguing either way, just a wait-and-see what comes out in court.

Pat

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Wednesday,

Did the doctors at the hospital know she had mental illness? I don't see how they would unless she volunteered it. Or did she just fall thru the cracks of the mental health system, which seems really easy, especially the more their funds are reduced. These programs are overly burdened as it is and they lose a lot of funding, at least here in California.

Sad.

Pat

• wednesday
    wednesday

Not sure, i reread the article, and it is not clear. I know i (as a psych RN) would have certainly questioned her state of mind if she had entered my ER. Just the fact that 2 olther lives were at stake should have made someone question her mental state.

So many times the mentally ill do fall thrjough the cracks, and b/c our laws ar e so confusing as to patient rikghts, it could easily have happened. Whne doe a person become a danger to themself and or others? Seems pretty clear to me she was at least a danger to otehrs. But that is Monday mornign quarterbacking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit