Picking & Choosing Your "OUGHTS"

by proplog2 12 Replies latest jw friends

• proplog2
    proplog2

There is more evidence that all Christians should engage in some
    foot washing ritual then there is that we shouldn't eat blood.
    There is no wiggle room in John 13:14 "Therefore, if I, although
    Lord and Teacher washed your feet, you also OUGHT to wash the feet
    of one another. 15 For I set the pattern for you, that just as I
    did to you, you should do also."

Foot washing is usually explained away with references to the time period. It was really messy walking in dust with sandles.

The Watchtower has made a law out of a similar "OUGHT" at 1 Cor 11:10 "That is why the woman OUGHT to have a sign of authority upon her head." They feel that Paul saying "OUGHT" is a command yet when Jesus says "OUGHT" they ignore
    it.

It appears the Watchtower rule makers play fast and loose with what they will accept as a command and what they reject.

• openminded
    openminded

Good Point

• Simon
    Simon

They do tend to follow what Paul said more than Jesus don't they ? It should be called Paulianity...

Very good point BTW

• Cautious
    Cautious

Interesting....I wonder if the "ought" of footwashing would be egalitarian, or would the "ought" of women's subjection come into play.

One thing I'm pretty sure of, it would be the "sisters" who take the towels home to wash, not the "brothers"

Take Care
    Cautious

• hippikon
    hippikon

Very Good Point.

I'll keep a basin near my door from now on. When a JW comes to the door I'll ask them to take of their shoes.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Proplog2,

thanks for you post, quite a knock, ...
    I'll use it at the first occasion!
    Agape, J.C.MacHislopp

• proplog2
  • drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Did you have fun resurrecting a dozen of your old threads?

• proplog2
    proplog2

No. But I think the subject is important and worth a final look.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

He's just reliving the time when he had a shred of respectability around here... 7 years ago! Prop, you're one of the biggest trolls I've ever seen on here, and also a hypocrit for saying you were permanently leaving and then coming back and bumping all your old threads shamelessly. I've NEVER bumped one of my own threads--no matter how important I felt about the topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit