WT Literature . . . . How important is it?

by garybuss 29 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

WT Literature, how important is it?

Now they have the ability to just upload the current issues on their web site and the individuals could just download then in pdf format and print them out and then underline the answers to all questions asked in red pencil. No need to print millions. Especially for the Western nations and the technology they have embraced. If it was about the needy distribution of pertinent information, free downloadable information would work fine.

But it's obviously NOT about the needy distribution of pertinent information. It's about profits made by a book publishing corporation who copyrights their literature, the same literature they say is written under divine direction, under divine mandate, for distribution to all people on earth.

In my experience the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation is working very hard to keep that literature written under divine direction from being freely distributed to all the people on earth. They seem to be working much harder to keep the literature FROM being distributed than they are in seeing to it the information is distributed.

Clearly, the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation's motivation for the distribution of information printed on paper in the form of literature is financial reward. That's the ONLY reason they would copyright the work and refuse to freely distribute it by Internet download.

They seem to have failed to realize that the reason for the existence of the publishing company is to make the progressively revealed (to them) word of God known to the world by means of the literature. This is their purpose. To be a Witness means to distribute the publications printed by the book publishing corporation. Distributing the progressively revealed word of God by means of the printed publications is so important, God supposedly instructed that those doing this work be identified as "Publishers", and keep tract of placements of that literature on another piece of printed literature, the "House To House Report" form.

The exclusive access to the printed literature is paramount to the purpose of the group and critical to the doctrine of reward for book distribution by immortality. Without the printed literature, there is no work. If there is no distribution work, there is no identifying members as "publishers". If there are no publications, there can be no measure of faithfulness to the God of the progressively revealed information by means of printed literature. Unpaid distribution of religious literature is the measurable religious behavior of the group and all merit in the group is based on this one thing. Recognition of the publishing corporation having exclusive access to the channel through which God is channeling His progressively revealed information is a prerequisite for "approved for association" status within the group. All to do with printing.

None of this makes any sense if this group really had access to the progressively revealed word of God. It only makes sense if this is a book publishing group identifying themselves as a religion, relying on their one and only product, the hard printed literature. Without the printed literature to manually deliver, there is no purpose, and ultimately, no group. The information contained in the literature is secondary and dispensable. The hard printed product is primary and indispensable.

Or what am I missing? GaryB

• kls
    kls

Gary , you are forgetting how important the meetings are for brotherly love.

• new light
    new light

Good one, Gary!

Your headline is worded like a WT cover. Deliberately?

The exclusive access to the printed literature is paramount to the purpose of the group and critical to the doctrine of reward for book distribution by immortality.

So true. I love the way you word things so matter-of-factly. WT crap sounds so ridiculous when stated as pure and simple truth, which you have done perfectly with the immortality reward. Bravo!

I agree, if it was all about spreading the word, why not public internet access, and why does the donation arrangement exist only where it has to for tax-exemption purposes?

• shotgun
    shotgun

Gary the WT must complete it's momentous work...lets face it without the WTBTS half of the prophecies about false prophets would not have been fulfilled..

• garybuss
    garybuss

Kls, I did forget about the meetings. You know originally they were called consolation meetings. Their purpose was to provide a time and a place for the true believers to meet together and console one another's grief over their failed to arrive promised apocalypse. They called their first failed event "The Great Disappointment". The Watch Tower Publishing Corporation even published a magazine called Consolation.

Did any of you feel consoled by attending the meetings?

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Good observation.

Devon

• garybuss
    garybuss

New Light,

You Wrote: and why does the donation arrangement exist only where it has to for tax-exemption purposes?

Oh, Good one! I missed that. Good catch, Thanks!

Shotgun, You wrote:

without the WTBTS half of the prophecies about false prophets would not have been fulfilled..

Yes, and they have been kind enough to put it all in print and churn out 25 million a week for us to use to remind them:-)

Sphere, You wrote:

I don't think you've missed a single thing.

I bet you could tell a few stories couldn't you? :-) Thanks for posting, I appreciate it. GaryB

• joenobody
    joenobody

Gary you are so bang on. If this really is lifesaving information that they have and they have access to the greatest communication tool in the history of man, then why don't they publish everything online for free?

Reason? North Americans and Europeans who have Internet access would no longer need to *buy* all that literature. Uh oh... there goes the revenue stream. If any dubs can't see the WTS for what it is on this basis alone, they are deluded.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Gary,

Is that for real about the reason behind the magazine named Consolation, or were you taking a little liberty there?

I would have guessed that the magazine's name meant that it was intended as CONSOLATION "for those who morn" over world conditions, not those who morn over failed expecations, organizational letdowns, and theological disappointments.

Then again, it's been more than a quarter century since I last saw an issue of Consolation, if in fact I ever did - it would be nce to see the publishers page of any issue to see what it says...

As for copyrights, the primary reason for the existence of copyrights is to allow the author to retain CONTROL of his publication, not to insure his profit.

We've seen parody Watchtower covers from time to time, and that is legally permitted under the fair use doctrine.

Copyright would protect the Watchtower if counterfeit versions of their publications were placed in circulation, for example.

The Watchtower likes to daydream of Satanic persecution and wicked, nasty apostates printing counterfeit versions of their treasured 'spiritual food," but in reality, no one could do a better job at printing illogical hokum than the Watchtower - which is precisely why the Watchtower endeavors to control their history - as with the official CD.

They have plenty to be ashamed of, and their leadership knows it. They are not faithful, are not discreet. and are not slaves. They are dishonest, opportunistic cult masters.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Excellent, Gary! Love it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit