A definition of "fundamentalism" - and a great passage

by Phantom Stranger 12 Replies latest jw friends

• acsot
    acsot

I like that quote, and I'll look into getting the book. As far as unleashing creativity, have you ever read Julia Cameron's stuff, The Artist's Way, The Right to Write, etc.? I love her stuff, she got me "unblocked" as far as writing goes.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The fundamentalist is into self suppression, lest spontanaity breaks the rules, lest he bring something new into the world.

SS

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Blind to Life/Truth (the awareness of this moment of boundless being, void of conceptualized interpretation) we have come to identify ourselves as a collection of thoughts and beliefs; an entity, a pod, cut off from everyone and everything. Defined as this fragile and separated fragment -- we are afraid; and rightly so, because now it is "me" against the rest of the universe. No matter how we may look at it -- we're tremendously outmatched. Fundamentalism, can give us the sense that we are safe behind the skirts of whatever the ideal of our particular beliefs are. It's understandable that billions flock to it. Plus, there is the added sense of safety with numbers. Unfortunately, nothing has really changed; we are still just a scrap adrift in the matrix. Perhaps we need not exist in fear if we would stop camouflaging and entombing ourselves within our beliefs and interpretations, and instead earnestly investigated deeper within ourselves. Are we really who we believe ourselves to be? j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit