Let's lobby to make non-reporting a felony.

by avishai 15 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

This case really pissed me off. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/68106/2.ashx.

So, let's get together and lobby to make non-reporting a felony in all fifty states. It's bullshit that they continue to get away with it and our children continue to get raped as a result. Lets hook up w/ catholics, etc. who are pissed off too.

• Valis
    Valis

avi...I think that is a great idea.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• dustyb
    dustyb

lobbying is actually a really good way to get shit done, but you have to find a politician to support your efforts. but i'm sure if you get a few million X-jw's and catholics to lobby at the capitol building in DC, something will be done about it =D

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Avi: whatever it takes. I'm in. I have watched this crap go from bad to worse. If we can't hit them in the courts, maybe we can start a campaign to write our congressman to MAKE it a felony if ANYONE doesn't report, just like it is in Texas.

CG

• talesin
    talesin

It's already a felony here ... but let me know if any foreigners can help.

talesin

• blondie
    blondie

The best thing to do is to use Google and find out what organizations already exist in your state and check with them. I think Silentlambs has a list on their site for this too.

Then contact those organizations and lend your voice, money and tme to changing those laws.

That's what I did.

Blondie

• Badger
    Badger

avish: I lose my job if I don't report...all teachers do. I can't wait for the first time I hear about abuse and one of my JW family calls me on it. I'll let 'em have it.

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

Avishai,

I think I agree in principle with your statement and I definitely agree with your emotive response. But I'd just have a word of caution, sometimes laws like that have unintended negative consequences. For instance, if a child knew that there would be criminal proceedings if they told anyone about the abuse they suffered they might be less likely to report it at all to anyone.

That's the way it was for me. I was in counseling through most of my early teens because I was so messed up (suicidal) by the sexual abuse I endured as a preteen and I never told any of my counselors about the sexual abuse, because of fear and because I knew if I did they were legally obligated to report it and then I'd have to go through it all again in a criminal trial. All I want(ed) to do was forget it. I don't know. I don't have any answers. But sometimes laws like that keep people from getting help.

• talesin
    talesin

Avi

I would be quite happy to help with document production, technical writing, editing (lots of experience *lol*) OR if I can do internet research (lots of time on my hands), or help in any way, pls let me know ...

t

• shotgun
    shotgun

Talesin..if it's a felony what went wrong in Vicki's case?

Those WT snakes seem to slither out of everything...

They have 12 lawyers on staff....that's almost 20000 hours a year that these lawyers can devote to protecting and finding loopholes...and that's just in the US!

I think we need Columbo...it just drives me crazy that they get off scot free each time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit