Mickey Spillane update

by Gopher 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi all,

83-year-old author Mickey Spillane continues to profess to be a Jehovah's Witness. Does anybody find this a bit intriguing? His fiction (including that of detective "Mike Hammer") has been a staple of American culture for decades.

Here's the key quote from the article.

Spillane was long associated with his hard-living character, an image sealed by his manly Miller beer ads in the 1970s and '80s. But the author now says he was never much of a drinker and was careful about women, stating with pride that he had a date with Hedy Lamarr and nothing happened.

The guy who brought broads and blood to the reading masses is actually a Jehovah's Witness, a fundamentalist sect that preaches the imminent end of the world.

``There's nothing phony about them. Everything they say is true,'' says Spillane, a one-time ``nominal'' Protestant converted years ago by a Jehovah's Witness who knocked on his door.

Here is the link to the entire news story:

* http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010613/en/wkd_mickey_spillane_2.html

GopherIt is not best that we all should think alike, it is differences of opinion that make horse races.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Gopher,

You never to old serving Jehovah. I bet you not even 40 and you not even near to God.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Typical double standard once again. If you are a famous blood-and-guts author, you can continue in that genre as a Witness. If you are a not-so-famous r&f publisher, you would be df'd for attempting to create this type of fiction.

It has always been so, and will continue to be so. Money talks within the BOrg....very loudly.

• JT
    JT

the way i see it

he realized how to use the "Drift Technique" years ago before it was fashionable

smile

james

• waiting
    waiting

Mickey Spillane used to live near Myrtle Beach, SC, and attend, infrequently, the cong. there. So did my husband.

My husband remembers him as a odd, intense, man with a crewcut. He used to give his ministry school talks in a Hawaiian shirt, never wore a tie. His wife was never a jw. He wasn't much of one - just liked the name, I guess.

The jw's around here don't put much stock in him as a jw - they're really dismissive of him, embarrassed by him.

waiting

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Waiting,

Admit it, Mickey Spillane is cool.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

To the best of my knowledge, Mickey Spillane was disfellowshipped back in the 1960's because of the type of fiction he wrote. Has he ever been reinstated?

• Maximus
    Maximus

Waiting:

Ah, yes. Murrells Inlet. At the circuit assemblies Spillane would pad around in white tennis shoes, sporting his crew-cut, which was a big-time No No back then. And the Hawaiian shirt did drive the natives wild, but he got away with it, having friends in high places.

Love your posts, babes. I'd say you've come a long way since the aw-shucks days, but that sounds so damned condescending--I don't mean it that way. I'm just delighted to see you continue to blossom in your personhood.

As to Micky, JT has it right on. Betcha the quote actully was "not phony. They believe everything they say."
    Smile ...
    M

• waiting
    waiting

hey Max!

My husband asks if you remember when Mickey gave an hour long talk at Lee's State Park in his Hawaiian shirt?

That man could get away with a lot, eh?

Oh! And my honey says "yo." He told his mom about seeing current pictures of you - and his mom said you always were killer good-looking. Well, not in those words, but the meaning was there.

waiting

ps - thanks for the compliment, deserved or not - it is appreciated!

• TMS
    TMS

One of the urban legends/stories I heard as a teen-ager was about Mickey Spillane laying a thousand dollar bill on the table which would belong to anyone who could find one scripture supporting the Trinity. Legend goes Mickey retained his thousand.

TMS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit