by dannyboy 27 Replies latest jw friends

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

I'll eat to that.

-BONEZZ

• Scully
    Scully

Wow.

Imagine if this were true.... mass DFings in a year's time... Simon better make sure the site can handle the influx....

The WTS isn't really stupid enough to shoot themselves in the foot financially by DFing 40-60% of its publisher base.

Love, Scully

• loveis
    loveis

So, since the Society banned the use of tobacco because of the health effects, to be consistent, they should do the same to anybody who's overweight.

Regarding this supposed inconsistency, please see the Questions From Readers in the WT of 5-1-86.

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Loveis,

Regarding this supposed inconsistency, please see the Questions From Readers in the WT of 5-1-86

I don't have immediate access to this Question From Readers (QFR), which if memory serves, emphasized that it was important to not be a glutton, and that one could be disfellowshipped for gluttony.......but I think you're missing my point.

In 1986, when that QFR was published, being overweight was a health issue, yes, but not recognized as nearly as deadly as smoking.

THAT is the news these days, years ago the Society banned the use of tobacco, even requiring those who owned tobacco allotments to abandon those, out of regard for how "bad" the use of tobacco was. So the point remains: to be consistent, since being overweight is just as deadly, in fact the prediction is that it will soon be more deadly than the use of tobacco, they should disfellowship for being overweight.

---Dan

[Edited to add a couple 'o grins...]

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Kate,
    Is this a joke?

Er, sorry.....tongue planted firmly in cheek.......guess it's more subtle than I was thinking....

My thought was that the "Miracle Wheat" thing would give "it" away

---Dan

LMAO, gave me a chuckle.........I knew it wasn't true, really I did!

Kate

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Way to go Danny Boy, I loved it.

Yes too bad it isn't true, on two counts, there is a tremendous amount of obese persons in the Oraganization. and secondly eating Pator Rusells wheat will make you healthy. He he. I had forgotten about that Miracle Wheat. Just think he had the nerve to call it Miracle Wheat. wonder if he thought everyone should be a svelt has him.

Down with obesity, no that will never happen have you ever watched how much food some people can put in their mouth, Its disgusting. You don't have to be obese either to get disfellowshipped, you could be disfellowshiped for being glutton, Has this ever happen? I doubt it very very much. That would take away at least 1/2 of the witnesses on this planet.

And who is the society going to push around if they disfellowship all those bad elders and ministeral servants. Wow down the Watchtower. Who would have thought it would have been that easy. They have to keep statistics up, so I guess that will never happen.

OrangefatcatOrangeFatCat 15

wheat
    Custom Smiley TractorFarmer Wouldn't it be cool to send this to congregations I love that idea..

Yes I am evilShe Devil

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Orange,

Great emoticons (as usual).

No, never heard of anyone df'd for gluttony.

I'm reminded of the points in Ray Franz's book "In Search of Christian Freedom". The Witness's ban on the use of tobacco is to me an example of their over-reaching what the Scriptures say, and delving into the murky ground of "applying" principles. Each of us has the responsibility to decide such stuff for ourselves, without interference from religious authorities.

Same with eating, I'd say, not to mention the many folks who are overweight despite their best efforts to not be.......

<<<didn't notice the pizza slices choices.......seems like an appropriate choice for this thread LOL.

---Dan

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

No way.

Some of the most over-weight men in the Society I have met are COs and DOs and exCOs and DOs. All those rich lunches and hospitality.

eyeslice

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Eyeslice,

No way.

What "no way" ??

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

How funny!

re: the QFR, they argue it's difficult to determine the cause of obesity, could be medical reasons like thyroid, etc. Picking up on attitudes of witnesses I know, it seems many of them consider obese witnesses as gluttons that should not be held up as an "example", ie not promoted to elder or MS. This attitude seems kind of inconsistency that disproves their argument.

Additionally, a CO mentioned in a talk recently that he noticed how many in the circuit are overweight and he stressed the need to try to figure out what's causing this and for these ones to try to work on it. He was very gentle about it, but indicated that "evidently the truth is not enough" for these ones. Could this be the beginnings of a new rule from the society -- I don't know. More likely it's just his own observation and opinion.

How many would get DF'd (freedom, woo hoo!)? They would really need to give some of them years to lose their extra pounds. It wouldn't be the same as smoking, which probably takes less time to correct. And I'm sure they would feel six months was sufficient, like they did (I think) with smoking and bible studies who don't yet come to meetings.

It wouldn't shock me to see something like this happen, which is sad. Can you imagine getting weighed in, how humiliating that would be?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit