Song of Solomon/Tammuz

by peacefulpete 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Narkissos....That's a very nice find, re Psalm 110:3. Another definite reference to Raham "Womb" as a divine epithet is in Genesis 49:25 where reference is made to the "blessings of Breasts-and-Womb", a pairing closely resembling the "Asherah and Womb" from the Shahar-Shalem myth, and moreover "Breasts-and-Womb" are mentioned with epithets of El in Genesis 49:24-26 (i.e. Bull of Jacob, Stone, Father El, Shadday, Eternal, etc.) which evokes the marital relationship of El with Asherah and Raham in Ugaritic myth. Mark Smith argues that Rahmay/Raham is actually an epithet of Anat; we encounter "the womb of Anat" in KTU 1.5 II 27. Wyatt disagrees and identifies Raham as a hypostasis of the sun goddess Shapsh. However Psalm 110:5-6 contains language very characteristic of Anat (especially the smashing of skulls and heaping corpses on the land), and which Smith associates with other Anat-like passages in Isaiah 59:15-19, Joel 4:9-14, Zechariah 12:3-4, and elsewhere, and so that might constitute further evidence that Anat lies behind the imagery in Psalm 110.

You are right that Shahar and Shalem are technically not twins but really half-brothers born at the same time, and the text does not exactly say who gave birth to whom. However, one can note that Asherah and Rahmay are always mentioned in that order, and likewise with their sons Shahar and Shalem, which would then imply that Asherah is the mother of Shahar and Rahmay (Anat?) is the mother of Shalem. That would make a lot of sense vis-a-vis Psalm 110, if the subject of the psalm is the birth of Shalem. Thus Psalm 110:3 would relate Shalem's "birth on the holy mountains (i.e. Zion in v. 2), from Raham (i.e. Anat)," and the reference to Shahar would either be to his brother, or more likely imply that Raham had already given birth to Shahar -- implying a merger between Breasts-and-Womb/Asherah and Womb. The reference to Melchizedek in v. 4 is another link to Shalem, since Genesis 14:18 presents him as king and priest of Shalem. Then in v. 5-6 we have classic allusions to Anat, syncresized to Yahweh.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

BTW, Shahar and Shalem appear to be associated with the morning and evening manifestations of Venus in the Ugaritic myth, but Isaiah 14:12 identifies the morning star Helal as a son of Shahar. Other Ugaritic and West Semitic texts appear to designate Athtar and Athtart (Astarte) as the morning and evening stars, and from other sources, such as the seventh century B.C. Aramaic inscription of Si'-gabbar from near Aleppo, we also know that Shahar was a moon god in Syria (cf. Syriac sahra "moon") and was identified with the Assyrian god Sin. Shahar's consort was named as Nikkal, who is nothing other than Sin's consort Ningal. But in KTU 1.24, Nikkal appears as the bride of the moon-god Yarih, a deity from the Hurrian pantheon. The same text mentions Helal (hll) as the father of the Kotharat who themselves as the collective mother of Nikkal. Helal appears to have a lunar connection (cf. Arabic hilal "new moon"), but who appears to be a West Semitic or Hurrian version of the Sumerian god Ellil, probably identical with Enlil and identified with El in Ugarit. Because of the syncretism between Canaanite, Akkadian, and Hurrian traditions, it is difficult to reconstruct the relationship between the gods from place to place, but nowhere does Helal appear to be a son of Shahar -- if anything Helal is an older god. Isaiah 14:12 appears to garble together the traditions about the two deities -- if Helal is indeed to be identified with Ellil and El, then indeed Shahar would be the son of Helal -- a name likely originating as the Hurrian version of Ellil but which in West Semitic implies a lunar hypostasis.

As for Shahar being associated with Venus instead of (or in addition to) the moon, this appears to be a more recent development in Ugarit. On this theory, Shahar was the native lunar deity identified with Sin but in later years under Hurrian influence, a cult of Yarih emerged identifying Sin with Yarih, which "deposed" Shahar as the moon god. Shahar then became the brother of Shalem and in turn deposed Athtar as the morning star. We know from copious inscriptional evidence that Athtar had been for over a millenium the male Venus god in the area. In Farah texts dating to c. 2500 BC, Athtar was attested as d ash-tar, and in third millenium B.C. texts from Ebla ash-dar was identified with Venus. Mari texts from c. 1800 BC refer to the deity as d MUSH.ZA.ZA, as a male Ishtar, and an Emar text from Syria refers to d Ash-tar MUL, or "Astar of the stars" and other texts suggest that Athtar was the patron deity of Emar -- implying an identification between Athtar and Ninurta. The evidence would suggest that Athtar was the consort of Athtart and both were manifested as the two Venus stars, with the male Athtar representing the morning star and Athtart representing the evening star. Aside from being astral deities, they were also both the terrestial gods of irrigation (cf. the root 'thr "to irrigate", cf. Arabic 'aththari "soil artificially irrigated"). In the lunar marriage text mentioned above, Athtar is mentioned by the father of Nikkal as the deity who should officiate a wedding between the moon god Yarih and Pidray, the daughter of Baal (KTU 1.24.28). The same passage mentions two epithets of Athtar: lbu "lion" (otherwise known as the animal of Ishtar) and ybrdmy "water-dispenser," confirming that Athtar was also associated with Venus at Ugarit.

Thus Athtar once held a high place in the Canaanite pantheon but subsequently lost his place to competitors. His rival in irrigation was Baal whose kingship deprived Athtar of his terrestial role. This would explain why Athtart occurs in the Baal Epic as the consort of Baal, not Athtar. And KTU 1.23, the myth of El's marriage to Asherah and Rahmay, shows that upstarts Shahar and Shalem would challenge Athtar and Athtart for their appearance as Venus. The name 'atrshmn "Athtar of the heavens" occurs in an Aramaic seal dating to around 800 B.C., suggesting that Athtar lingered on as an astral deity, but the Baal Epic explicitly refers to Athtar's fall, where Athtar declares:

"As for me, I have no house like the other gods, nor a court like the holy ones. Like a lion I will descend with my desire. Kothar shall wash me in the house of Prince Yamm, in the palace of Judge River...Am I king ... or not king?" (KTU 1.2 III 19-22)

Placing his lot with Yamm would seal his fate. This text may shed some light on Isaiah 14:12. The prophet seems to be likening Shahar (or Helal ben-Shahar) with the fate of Athtar -- what happened to Athtar will befall Shahar. There is a late Phoenician version of the fallen-star myth reported by Philo of Byblos who does not identify the star but its connection with Athtart suggests an identity as Athtar (Venus):

"Astarte placed upon her own head a bull's head as an emblem of kingship. While travelling around the world, she discovered a star which had fallen from the sky. She took it up and consecrated it in Tyre." (Philo of Byblos; cited in Eusebius, PE 1.10.31)

The version of the myth reported in Isaiah would suggest a different sort of fate: as a rival of Baal, Athtar was dispatched in death to Sheol where he was received by Mot and the Rephaim. Thus in 14:13-14 he is designated as a rival who would "climb to the top of thunderclouds", that is, Baal's domain, and sit on the mount "in the recesses of Zaphon," Baal's holy mountain, but "now you have fallen to Sheol to the very bottom of the abyss" (14:15). From such a Canaanite myth was the later Christian legend of Lucifer born.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Thanks PeacefulPete.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Please note that I revised my post above on Shahar and Helal to include some very interesting stuff I just found on the Canaanite origins of the Lucifer legend.

Let me also add that, as the consort of Baal, Athtart (Astarte) did not lose her astral authority to Shalem....indeed Shalem was subject to her. Thus "Queen of Heaven" appears as an epithet of Astarte in Phoenician inscriptions and in Jeremiah 7:18, 44:15-28, and Genesis 14:5 also appears to attest lunar epithet 'strt-krnym "Astrate of the two horns" (i.e. the crescent moon).

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Fascinating indeed. From the Bible standpoint the linguistical connexion between Ugaritic Yarih and Hebrew yareach, which occurs in a number of cultic contexts (cf. Job 31:26), is particularly striking. For instance the fertility blessing on Joseph in Deuteronomy 33:14ff sounds very Canaanite:

Blessed by Yhwh be his land,
    with the choice gifts of heaven above, of Dew (tal)
    and of the Deep that lies beneath (tehom robetseth tachath);
    with the choice fruits of the sun (shemesh),
    and the rich yield of the moons (yerachim);
    with the finest produce of the ancient mountains,
    and the abundance of the everlasting hills;

Coming back to the Song of Solomon, 6:10 seems to be especially concentrated, despite the poetical synonyms for the sun and the moon :

Who is this that looks forth like Dawn (Shachar),
    fair as the moon (Lebana), bright as the sun (Chamma),
    troubling (?) as constellations (? nidgaloth, "signs")?
    One thing I wonder about is the negative power of the moon in Psalm 121:6. Could it be explained by Canaanite parallels? The usual astrological explanation (destiny, Job 3:6; 38:33) seems a bit too general...
  • JCanon
    JCanon

Very good everyone.

This is really a tribute to many of the Mother Goddesses in her various forms. The reference to "her breast like date clusters" and her being like a palm tree with "goats in her hair" is a specific form of the goddess Artemis of Ephusus. Her original form used to have a nimbus behind her head, a circle with goats looking like they were jumping. But a later version cut down the nimbus so that it was level with her head and the artistic look was that it was her hair extension and so it looked like goats in her hair.

Here is a link to this version of this goddess, but you can find others on the net by looking up "Artemis of Ephesus".

http://www.emuseumstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=4771&Category_Code=Greco-Roman

Of note, please don't let anybody fool you. FREEMASONS and anybody in the mysteries know quite well the symbolisms here and JWs used this as a basis for their Freemasonry secret society within the Watchtower organization. Just like Freemasons like to put their seeing-eye pyramid in plain sight for everybody on the dollar bill, so witnesses used to the concept of the goddess expressed in architecture, namely, the references to the tower and the wall. That combination is depicted on the early Watchtower magazines and represnts a form of the goddess. Also you'll note the white mountaintop with the stream coming from it. The goddess was known to give milk, knowledge, to her followers and the breast represented this, thus the mountain with the water coming from it represents this part of the cultic identity of Artemis.

There were many forms the goddess could be expressed, including in diagramatical shapes. Thus the triangle was associated with the escutcheon (pubic area), the pyramid with the breast. She was represented in physical form as a "grove" which was two rows of trees to represent her womb into which her followers would enter, considered a sacred place. Thus many Catholic Churches have the same design where an alter is at the end of a long hall. The wall and the tower as the WTS represents it represented her breasts in architecture.

Trees were also used to represent the goddess who was the one who was considered the "Mediatrix" she who brought heaven and earth together, because a tree has roots in the earth and branches in the sky. The Christmas tree with dew on it thus represented the "woman and her seed", that is Satan as the woman and the dew, like shiny stars, the angels joining her in rebellion. Thus a Christmas tree with lights substitutes for the dewdrops and represents the goddess with her rebel angels, another form of the goddess, who is actually the personification of Satan himself, the original "Queen of Heaven", the most beautiful angel in Heaven and Jesus/Michael's former wife (i.e. when Genesis 3:15 says, "I'll put enmity between you and the WOMAN and between your seed and HER SEED" God was talking to Jesus/Michael, with the reference to Satan being the woman. Thus the "woman and her seed", the woman holding a branch, the Christmas tree with lights, the Madonna and child, all are forms of Satan's rebellion as the "woman and her seed".

The WTS, starting with Russell has used cultic symbolism to draw secret societies into this organization where they could practice secretly and their cultic symbolisms were first that of the Knights of Templar and the winged disk, but then graduated to the more subtle representations of the goddess with the Tower. Look up "TOWER GODDESS" on the net and you'll see it's the same type of tower with "battlements" which represents the breasts of the goddess per Song of Solomon.

Note that after Russell died, JF Rutherfored in the abominible 7th Volume where he claimed Russell was the "Faithful and Wise Servant" also had a chapter on the entire book of Song of Solomon, another indication he was steeped into the Mysteries. The cover design of the Watchtower, as noted, is a direct reflection of the goddess described in architure form, with the wall with battlements which is an architectural form of the goddess.

But you know, for some reason, when you point out to JWs that: "oooh, look, Russell had the winged disk and the Knights of Templar emblems on the Watchtower", they think it's innocent and means nothing and that Russell didn't know what he was doing.

Part of the ELEUSINIAN MYSTERIES involved a hallucinogenic which was a fungus that grew on grain. They used it to create hallucinogenic experiences for the converts. It might has been associated with the darnell as well, which is a weed that looks like wheat. Thus when the Bible prophesied that the temple organization, which is Jehovah's witnesses, would be oversown with "weeds" it was a reference to the mysteries cults finding a place within the Watchtower Society beginning from early on which would be with Russell. The parable says the weeds were sown before even the blades of wheat showed up. That means before the organization had even become very visible. This is the infiltration of the mysteries cult and Freemasonry-linke secret society and practices led by Russell and Rutherford. But anyone in the mysteries would recognize clearly that SOS was talking about their pagan cultic goddess worship. It becomes even more obvious when you see the influence of the symbolism found in SOS on the cover of the Watchtower, a mere substitute for the crown and cross and the Knights of Templar emblems and the pyramids.

OF NOTE, THERE ARE THREE BOOKS OF THE OT THAT ARE NOT CROSS-QUOTED FROM BY THE NT BIBLE WRITERS, ALL OF THEM ARE NON-INSPIRED, THEY ARE: ESTHER, ECCLESIASTES, AND OF COURSE, SONG OF SOLOMON (CANTICLES).

JWs and XJWs have the higest concentration of Freemasons I've seen in any group. The "seeing eye" of Horus is often used as a symbol on their logos (like this one). The seeing "eye" and code words like "watchers" are variations to the seeing eye of the pyramid.

The high concentration of those into branches of Freemasonry and Secret Societies, now primarily in use for commercial advantage, within the Watchtower Society, which is the chosen "temple organization" is why in Revelation it tells them: "Get out of her MY PEOPLE", speaking of Babylon the Great, which is the representation of the secret societies and Illuminati influencing the UN. Of course, why would the Bible say, "Get out of her MY PEOPLE" unless there wasn't a particular problem with them being connected with Babylon the Great?

So boils down to some/many witnesses think they can be Freemasons and witnesses too and that's fine, but the Bible disagrees and says if you don't get out of her, you'll receive "part of her plagues". BTG is scheduled to be destroyed by the UN and exposed, after which all doing business with her will suffer and mourn her. This suggests a catastrophic financial collapse throughout the world just before Armageddon in my reading. I'm wondering is "part of her plagues" will end up affecting those who have been "made rich" by utilizing the Freemasonry financial advantages?

At any rate, as benign as participating directly or indirectly with Babylon the Great may be, perhaps passively going along, there is a penalty to pay for being part of her and so true Christians must get out before it's too late. Actually part of her plagues includes destruction, so maybe that's God's warning that witness Freemasons will be destroyed.

Hmmmmmm...

JC

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It means so much to us to have the Messiah appreciate our work. I've kindly asked you not to post your delusions on my threads. The True Messiah would be polite and respect that. Simon for some reason has allowed you to proselytize your cult here, but please do not corrupt the hard work of others who do not appreciate your contributions. Chalk it up to persecution.

• JCanon
    JCanon

Hi peacefulpete...

It means so much to us to have the Messiah appreciate our work. I've kindly asked you not to post your delusions on my threads. The True Messiah would be polite and respect that. Simon for some reason has allowed you to proselytize your cult here, but please do not corrupt the hard work of others who do not appreciate your contributions. Chalk it up to persecution.
    Oops! I hadn't seen that request. I think I can do that. No problem with the exception of CRITICISM of false teachings in which case I can begin a new thread if its significant enough. This will not apply to threads you comment on that you have not begun, however. But generally, I'll try to ignore you on this board at your request. But I request you do the same. I'm requesting you not comment on any of my threads or ever mention me again or give any opinion about me. If you do, then the deal if off. Mutual respect. Of course, that also means you cannot ever mention me under any circumstances in any of your threads or discuss my views in public. If you do, then of course, I reserve the right to express my point of view at "your invitation". If you can manage to ignore me completely on this board I think I can manage to ignore you. If you criticize me or mention me at all, even once, then the deal is off. "Chalk it up to persecution." 1) Don't post on any of my threads. 2) Don't mention me in any of your posts. Deal? But I do apologize for not having noted your request earlier, I don't follow-up on all my threads. JC
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

that is a reasonable request , deal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit