Is the man Jesus Christ also the LORD?

by hooberus 93 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

That's what I just love about "Christians" - Their well placed tolerance and love, in the face of opposing beliefs...

Carmel / Galaxy, nice quote.

LT - unorthodox Christian (and happily so)

• Sirona
    Sirona

Herk

I believe that the bible says that Jesus is God - the two are both God. If I can I will find my essay on the subject, from many moons ago.

As for trinity, I don't believe the bible teaches that.

Sirona

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Hear O Israel The Lord our God is actually not one God but three in one so I am just going into the wilderness for 40 days to pray to myself and be tempted -- oh sure the sovereign lord of the universe being tested -- tempted by Satan - tempted -- I can do what I like I am sovereign Lord of the Universe - I made the whole universe so how the fu-----g hell can I be tested/tempted by anyone - hey this holy spirit guy is also a person and part of the trinity - it had sex with a woman (Mary) and made Jesus oh shit sorry no -- it made me Jehovah/Yahweh becasue we are all the same three in one.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

2 Thess 3:2 "Faith is not a possession of all people."

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Strictly speaking, in Trinitarian theology Jesus is not a "man" in the sense of "human person". He is a divine person (hypostasis) assuming (enhypostasis) an impersonal (anhypostatic) human "essence" (ousia) in addition to his own divine essence. Check your own doctrine.

• herk
    herk

Sirona,

I believe that the bible says that Jesus is God - the two are both God.

Angels, Moses, the judges and kings of Israel, as well as Jesus, are all called "God" due to being the agents of the Almighty. However, none of them is equal to the God they represent. Even the devil is called ho theos at 2 Corinthians 4:4, but he is Almighty God only in the minds of those who worship him.

Thomas called Jesus ho theos. But a comparison of Hebrews 1:8, 9, with Psalm 45:6 will show that the kings of Israel were also addressed in that way. In Psalm 45, a king is called Elohim, and this is translated as God with a capital "G" in many Bibles. Hebrews 1 translates Elohim as ho theos. Now note this footnote on Psalm 45:6 in the NIV Study Bible:

O God. Possibly the king's throne is called God's throne because he is God's appointed regent. But it is also possible that the king himself is addressed as "god." The Davidic king (the "LORD's anointed," 2 Sa 19:21), because of his special relationship with God, was called at his enthronement the "son of God (see 2:7; 2 Sa 7:14; 1 Ch 28:6; cf. 89:27). In this psalm, which praises the king and especially extols his "splendor and majesty" (v. 3), it is not unthinkable that he was called "god" as a title of honor (cf. Isa 9:6). Such a description of the Davidic king attains its fullest meaning when applied to Christ, as the author of Hebrews does (Heb 1:8-9).

The NIV Study Bible uses "God" in the main text but uses "God" and "god" in its footnote. But the thing to note is that the Hebrew word is translated as ho theos in the New Testament, the same expression that Thomas fittingly applied to Jesus, the ultimate king to sit upon the Davidic throne.

The throne of David was also called the throne of the Lord, not because David was actually the Lord God Almighty, but because he ruled and spoke for the Lord.

When Jesus asked the apostles who they thought he was, Peter identified Jesus as "the Christ, the Son of the Living God." Peter did not say "You are God." Jesus responded by telling Peter that "this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven." (Matt. 16:15-17) God did not reveal to Peter that Jesus is God, and thus the Trinity is not a revelation from God. It is a concept that was invented and publicized by men. The Trinity is therefore very distant from the understanding that Peter expressed concerning Jesus' relationship with God. The only way that trinitarians will ever receive a correct understanding about the Father and Christ is by paying attention to what the Bible actually says instead of to what men and institutions claim that it says. Yes, the Bible says Jesus is God. But the question is, Is he God in the sense that the Father is God or in the sense that Moses, David and others were spoken of as God?

herk

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Herk,

Your good!

• bebu
    bebu

I have a serious question.

Is there some kind of uniformity in how Jews interpret this? I mean, in particular, orthodox Jews that come to faith that Jesus is the Messiah (Messianic Jews). Do they tend to be mainly trinitarian or unitarian? I know of a few who are trinitarian; does anyone know unitarian Jews? I'm curious.

bebu

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Posession of faith is 9/10th of the law.

• herk
    herk

bebu,

(Messianic Jews). Do they tend to be mainly trinitarian or unitarian?

Rabbi Dan Cohn-Sherbok wrote a book called Messianic Judaism. He is a Professor of Judaism at the University of Wales. While the majority of Messianic Jews are trinitarian, he claims that an increasing number of them are forming into unitarian congregations.

But the dilemma they face is that Messianic Jews who are trinitarian tend not to view them as Christians but as unconverted Jews or as Jews who have fallen away from Christianity. Trinitarians pass such judgments despite the fact that Jesus and the apostles and all the earliest Christians were Jews and most certainly were not trinitarians.

herk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit