Canaanite legend quoted in 2 Samuel 1:21?

by Leolaia 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Sargon....Don't forget the allusion to Nimrod in Micah 5:5. I agree that Nimrod has been maligned and "before Yahweh" can have both positive and negative connotations. Skinner, one my reference works, says that the expression can mean: (1) "unique" like l'lhym in Jonah 3:3; (2) "in the estimation of" as in 2 Kings 5:5; (3) "in despite of"; (4) "with the assistance of"; (5) "in the constant presence of". I must admit that option (2) seems to be the most attractive, considering the following:

"Now Naaman was commander of the army of the king of Aram. He was a great man in the estimation of (literally, "before") his master and highly regarded, because through him Yahweh had given victory to Aram. He was a mighty (gbwr) soldier, but he had leprosy." (2 Kings 5:5)

The similarity is very close, even in the use of gibbor "mighty" to refer to both, and the use of "before" clearly has a positive connotation. Yahweh's support and approval of a warrior and gibbor is also implied. Finally, in earlier posts I conjectured that in an early edition of J (prior to the inclusion of the Flood narrative), Nimrod was was one of the famed heroes of old (i.e. the Nephilim) from Genesis 6:4.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

PP:

One of my favorite (for very obvious reasons) is Hosea 6:1-3, including an explicit reference to Yhwh-Baal's death and resurrection in the third day:

"Come, let us return to Yhwh; for it is he who has torn, and he will heal us; he has struck down, and he will bind us up. After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will raise us up, that we may live before him.
    Let us know, let us press on to know the LORD; his appearing is as sure as the dawn; he will come to us like the showers, like the spring rains that water the earth."
  • Sargon
    Sargon

One of the Psalms mentions Yahweh standing in the assembly of the Gods. However the NWT reads it to say that Jehovah stands in his own assembly. I'll have to wait until I'm back at home to get the exact scripture, I'll post it tomorrow. I take this scripture to show that the Israelites were aware of the Canaanite roots of their god. I think this is also evidenced by the references to the golden calf. El in Canaanite theology was represented by a bull, Baal was a calf.

El was referred to as the Father of Time, the Father of all Things... among other titles. Sound familiar. No wonder this hebrew God was a jealous god.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Sargon: Psalm 82 is probably the most obvious example:

God (elohim, emendation for Yhwh) has taken his place in the council of El (edath-El) ;
    in the midst of the gods (elohim) he holds judgment:
    "How long will you judge unjustly
    and show partiality to the wicked?
    Give justice to the weak and the orphan;
    maintain the right of the lowly and the destitute.
    Rescue the weak and the needy;
    deliver them from the hand of the wicked."
    They have neither knowledge nor understanding,
    they walk around in darkness;
    all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
    I say, "You are gods (elohim),
    children of the Most High (`elyôn), all of you;
    nevertheless, you shall die like mortals,
    and fall like any prince."
    Rise up, O God (elohim = Yhwh), judge the earth;
    for all the nations belong to you!
  • Sargon
    Sargon

That's it Nark, thanks.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Leolaia,tho I can't think of any examples of El's throne said to be mobile I feel the sitting upon winged cherubim makes that implicit. The imagery in the OT of YHWH's throne being flanked and supported by cherubim and mobile being derivative of El's. But who knows maybe El's cherubim had their wings clipped.

The entire Baal cycle and that of other similar stories (Danel/Aqhat) are vegetative. His beeing a storm god almost appears as secondary to his role in the seasonal cycles.

The ubiquitous three days motif seems to generally be associated with solar deities. Was the author of Hosea conflating myths or do we have evidence that Baal had aquired this elelment? I know he and Aqhat were resurrected much like Osiris and other solar deities, but the seasonal cycle and solar equinox while sharing the resurrection element were generally held to be performed by separate deities.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

In Israel there is clearly a fusion of El and Baal features.

The jealous Yhwh riding on the clouds is clearly a Baal motif. The "chairman" in the assembly of gods is equally clearly an El motif. Maybe the cherubim (cf. Mesopotamian karibu) belong to both, as they can be both mobile (winged) and static (as temple guardians)... Let's wait for Leolaia's oracle...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thus saith Leolaia.... (hehehe)

Sargon....Please see this thread of mine which discusses the passage in Psalms you are interested in, especially the section on the Mount of Assembly, as I compare the biblical allusions directly with Canaanite myth:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/67843/1.ashx

PP....I have to remark that El does not strike me as a very mobile deity, most of the stuff involving him happen at his abode, at his mountain, or at the divine council that he presides over. Baal, as a meterological storm god is by definition mobile, and the texts of Yahweh as a storm god fit with this picture; cf. Psalm 29 which suggests a storm that sweeps from the Mediterranean eastward over Phoenicia, Sirion, and ending in the deserts of the northern Kadesh. Baal, and not El, has the epithet "Cloud-Rider," and the motifs of cloud-riding and cherubim-sitting are applied to Yahweh specifically (cf. 1 Samuel 4:4; 2 Samuel 22:11; Psalm 18:11, 68:4, 80:1, 99:1; Isaiah 37:16; note that Elohim is an acquired epithet of Yahweh), and not to El, El-Shaddai, El Olam, Elyon, or other epithets of El. That is not to say that El does not have cherubim at his holy mountain; Ezekiel 28:1-14 pictures El's abode at the meeting place of the two seas as an Edenic garden on a holy mountain, with guardian cherubs (cf. also v. 2 where the Phoenician king declares himself to be El). Since the karibu were viewed as guardian deities at temples and palaces in Assyria and Babylonia, and since we find the same motif in Genesis 3:24 regarding Yahweh's garden, 1 Kings 6:23-25; 8:6 regarding Solomon's temple, and even Numbers 1:51-53 regarding the Tabernacle, all the Shaddai deities (including Anat, who also had her own holy mountain) probably had cherubim-like guards. Since the cherubim were personifications of the wind, this might reflect the general wind-swept nature of mountain peaks.

About the acquisition of solar motifs, yes definitely, Mark Smith discusses this in detail in his book. It's actually a quite interesting phenomemon. Apparently during Iron Age I with rise of new centralized states, the chief patron deities throughout the Near East were solarized. We find this happening with Asshur in Assyria (depicted riding the sun disk), Marduk in Babylonia (called the "sun god of the gods" in the Enuma Elish), and even El in Syria. Mark Smith regards this region-wide development as political in nature, as the sun had traditionally been the symbol of kingship.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Interesting thanks. The YHWH chariot/throne of Ezekiel then you consider an original confation of Baalist mobility and El kingship? It seems possible tho I'm sure I read somewhere that El like YHWH was somewhere described as seated UPON cherubim, which to me suggest riding rather than being flanked by. I'll see if I can find a reference or if I am remembering wrong.
    I think I should get that book of Smith's. I liked the "Early History of God" and found it quite balanced.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Back to the Aqhat legend, I was looking today at the OT to see if there were other traces aside from the verbatim resemblances in the 2 Samuel and the direct allusions in Ezekiel. I found three possible candidates: the Elisha Cycle in 2 Kings, Job, and some of the Messianic material in Isaiah. There are other things as well. The motif of a faithful man lacking a son and heir is familiar from the Abraham Cycle of Genesis. The motif of a seven-year drought is familar as well from Genesis in the Joseph narrative (cf. Genesis 41:26).

THE ELISHA CYCLE

I am particularly struck by the narrative in 2 Kings 4-8, which combines a number of motifs and themes from the Aqhat Legend. That is not to say there was direct influence, but some sort of connection seems evident. (1) First of all, there is the tale of the Shunamite woman. Like Danel, the Shunamite woman was a person of rank (4:8) who had no heir and like Danel was later blessed with a child:

2 Kings 4:14-17: " 'What can be done for her then?' he asked. Gehazi answered, 'Well, she has no son and her husband is old.' Elisha said, 'Call her.' The servant called her and she stood at the door. 'This time next year,' he said, 'you will hold a son in your arms.' But she said, 'No, my lord, do not deceive your servant.' But the woman did conceive, and she gave birth to a son at the time Elisha said she would."

And the boy grows up but one day he suddenly dies (4:18-20). Like Danel, she has lost her promised scion. She had her servant saddle her a donkey and she set off to find Elisha on Mount Carmel (4:22-26). Likewise, when Danel learned of his son's death, he had Pugat saddle his donkey and Danel rushed off to inspect the desolated fields where his son died (cf. Aqhat 19 i. 46 - ii. 74). Then Elisha came to her house and brought the boy back from the dead (4:29-37). Although the ending has been lost, it is widely believed that the Aqhat tale ended with the resurrection of Aqhat from the dead. (2) Moreover, Elisha can inflict curses and spells with a deity's power just like Danel:

2 Kings 6:18: "Elisha prayed to Yahweh, 'I beg you to strike this people with blindness.' And at the word of Elisha he struck them blind."

Aqhat 19 iii. 113-145: " 'May Baal break the wings of the hawk, may Baal break their pinions, so that they may fall down to my feet.' ... Hardly had the words left his mouth, the utterance his lips, when Baal broke the wings of the hawks, Baal broke their pinions."

Then some time later Elisha reverses the spell, just as Danel did the same:

2 Kings 6:20: "Elisha said, 'Yahweh, open the eyes of these men, and let them see.' Yahweh opened their eyes and they saw."

Aqhat 19 iii. 115-120: "May Baal rebuild the wings of the hawks, may Baal rebuild their pinions, may the hawks escape and fly away."

The other connection to the Aqhat Cycle in this regard is the fact that Danel employs just such a spell on blindness: "Woe to you, city of Abilem, for you must bear the responsibility for valiant Aqhat's murder. May Baal make you blind, at this moment and forever more" (Aqhat 19 iii 151 - iv 168). (3) During the drought, very little food is to be found in the land. One of Elisha's men "went out into the fields to gather herbs and found a wild vine," and gathered together the fruits tho they were poisonous (2 Kings 4:39). Similarly, Danel "went through the cracked fields, he spied something green growing among the dried up sprouts. He hugged the green growth and kissed it" (Aqhat 19 i 46- ii 74). (4) Immediately after the episode of the poisonous fruit, a man came bringing "twenty barley loaves and an ear of fresh grain" (4:42). Similarly, right after Danel found the green growth in the desicated field, "he spied an ear of grain growing among the dried-up sprouts, he hugged the ear of grain and kissed it" (ibid). (5) A "bow" is mentioned in 2 Kings 6:22. (6) As the drought worsened, woman comes to a king for help as he is by the city wall and he alludes to the threshing-floor as where help could be found; this is reminiscent of Danel's profession:

2 Kings 6:26-27: "Now as the king was passing along the city wall, a woman shouted, 'Help, my lord king!' 'May Yahweh leave you helpless!' he retorted. 'Where can I find help for you? From the threshing-floor? From the winepress?"

Aqhat 17 v. 3-33: "Danel the Rapha man, the valiant Harmenite man, arose and sat at the entrance of the city gates, among the leaders sitting at the threshing-floor. He judged the widow's case, made decisions regarding the orphan."

(7) The woman tells Elisha that another woman took her son and ate him (2 Kings 6:28-29). This recalls how Danel's son was eaten by Anat's henchmen (cf. Aqhat 19 iii 144-147). (8) When the king heard the woman's news he "tore his garments" (2 Kings 6:30). Pugat "tore the garment of Danel the Rapha man" (cf. Aqhat 19 ii. 93). (9) Danel curses the land, bringing about a seven-year drought (Aqhat 19 i. 38-46). Elisha declares to the Shunamite woman that a seven-year drought is upon the land (2 Kings 8:1).

JOB

Ezekiel 14:12-20, as we have already seen, described Job and Danel in similar terms. Broadly speaking, we can see in Job a rather similar plot. A righteous, prosperous man who loses his children and is later rewarded with them because of his faith. The Epic of Keret is probably an even closer analogue to Job in Canaanite literature. (1) But we find a very close similarity between the descriptions of Job's and Danel's professions:

Job 29:7-8, 12-13, 16, 21-22: "When I went out to the gate of the city, when I took my seat in the square, as soon as I appeared, the young men stepped aside, while the older men rose to their feet....They waited anxiously to hear me, and listened in silence to what I had to say...In a lordly style, I told them what course to take, and like a king amid his armies, I led them where I chose.... The stranger's case had a hearing from me. I freed the poor man when he called, and the orphan who had no one to help him. When men were dying, it was I who had their blessing, if widows' hearts rejoiced, that was my doing."

Aqhat 17 v. 3-33: "Danel the Rapha man, the valiant Harmenite man, arose and sat at the entrance of the city gates, among the leaders sitting at the threshing-floor. He judged the widow's case, made decisions regarding the orphan."

Danel thus had a virtually identical profession to Job. (2) The same passage in Job makes repeated allusions to a symbolic "bow": "My reputation will never fade, and the bow in my hands will gain new strength" (Job 29:20); "He has unbent my bow and chastened me" (30:11). (3) Danel speaks about his son as his defender while alluding to the jaws of his enemies, while Job refers to the jaws of his adversaries and mentions how no one is defending him from his enemies:

Aqhat 17 ii. 8-23: "[My son will] send up from the earth my incense, from the dust the song of my praise, shut up the jaws of my detractors, to drive out anyone who would do me in."

Job 29:17; 30:9, 12-13: "I used to break the fangs of wicked men, and snatch their prey from between their jaws.... Their children are the ones that now sing ballads about me.... They take threatening strides towards me, they have cut me off from all escape, there is no one to check their attack."

(4) In Aqhat 19 i. 19- ii. 93, we read how the hawks were soaring over Danel's house, "a flock of birds were surveying the scene," and this passage recalls Job 39:26-29 which mentions "the hawk taking flight" and how "she watches for prey, fixing it with her far-ranging eye". There may be other resemblances that I did not yet notice.

ISAIAH

Finally, I noticed a few interesting parallels in the oracular poem in Isaiah 9-10 which reminded me of the Aqhat Legend. (1) The messianic child born in ch. 9 is one that carries forth the House of David from barranness, and the language describing his birth harks back to the Ugaritic story where Aqhat is promised to perpetuate Danel's rule and prestige:

Isaiah 9:5: "For there is a child born to us, a son given to us, and dominion is laid on his shoulder."

Aqhat 17 ii. 8-23: "For a son will be born to me as to my brothers, a scion as to my kinsmen. Someone to raise up the stela of my father's god, in the sanctuary the votive emblem of my clan."

Not only is the language in the first clause very similar but the bicolon comprising the first two clauses in Isaiah 9:5 is also very characteristic of Ugaritic poetry and resembles the bicolon in the Aqhat story. (2) Moreover the description of Danel's profession resembles Isaiah's condemnation of those in similar roles:

Isaiah 9:16: "And so the Lord will not spare their young men, will have no pity for their orphans and widows."

Isaiah 10:1-2: "Woe to the legislators of infamous laws, to those who issue tyrannical decrees, who refuse justice to the unfortunate and cheat the poor among my people of their rights, who make widows their prey [cf. Job 29:17, above] and rob the orphan."

Aqhat 17 v. 3-33: "Danel the Rapha man, the valiant Harmenite man, arose and sat at the entrance of the city gates, among the leaders sitting at the threshing floor. He judged the widow's case, made decisions regarding the orphan."

Anyway, these are some interesting parallels. What do you think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit